Author Topic: BS-201 • A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins  (Read 17452 times)

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 183
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: BS-201 • A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 06:36:18 pm »
Although Justin introduces new 1/8 note patterns throughout the BC, he advises to stick with the 4 down strums until stage 8 - its in the schedule notes for each stage. Having said that if you feel confidence there's nothing wrong with attempt these new patterns.

Like Rossco and Frog I struggled with this one and had to come back to that pattern later on in the BC. My advice would be to slow it right down, painfully slow and count out load 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & or even substitute the word up instead of &. Get used to change on the & of 2 very slowly and very gradually increase the speed. I remember asking similar questions throughout the BC and the advice was always, slow it down and then slow it down some more.

But you'll get there Omar so don't sweat it for now  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 11:09:03 am »
I was able to do the strumming and fast changes. That said, I still need to practice more.

I have a couple of questions:

1) In the video, the normal strumming pattern goes:
Full bar of Amin, half bar Dmin and half bar Emin.

But in the songbook it's different, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share a snapshot of the book itself. Anyway, it goes like this:

Amin               | Dmin    Emin | Amin       | Dmin   Amin |

2) when I do "D  Du uD" strumming, do I have to mute E string with Amin and E&A strings with Dmin?

Thank you.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:13 pm »
1. Justin talks about this in the video lesson. Essentially, throughout the verse it goes Am Dm Em. Until the last line. Then it goes Am Dm Am. Watch the video lesson. Also, Justin doesn't mention it in the video, but later in the bridge the pattern switches between the two unexpectedly. This is shown in the BSB.

2. As a Stage 2 beginner, Justin advises keeping your thumb behind the neck without muting and practicing being accurate with what strings you play. Later, you will refine your technique, bring your thumb over, and mute the low E for Am and Dm. Depending on the size of your hands, you could try to mute the A for Dm as well. That's not easy to do, so it's less common. You also run the risk of fretting the note on the E string giving you a Dm/F# (sounds bad) or Dm/F (sounds good but unwanted here). See slash chords, but don't bother here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:06:32 pm by SiegeFrog »
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 07:41:56 pm »
1. Justin talks about this in the video lesson. Essentially, throughout the verse it goes Am Dm Em. Until the last line. Then it goes Am Dm Am. Watch the video lesson. Also, Justin doesn't mention it in the video, but later in the bridge the pattern switches between the two unexpectedly. This is shown in the BSB.

2. As a Stage 2 beginner, Justin advises keeping your thumb behind the neck without muting and practicing being accurate with what strings you play. Later, you will refine your technique, bring your thumb over, and mute the low E for Am and Dm. Depending on the size of your hands, you could try to mute the A for Dm as well. That's not easy to do, so it's less common. You also run the risk of fretting the note on the E string giving you a Dm/F# (sounds bad) or Dm/F# (sounds good but unwanted here). See slash chords, but don't bother here.

I've watched the video many times, maybe I missed that point.

Thank you :)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 09:55:27 am »
@SiegeFrog

I watched the video again; you're right. I got confused because "E" in Spanish is pronounced "A".

Offline Jaminajar

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 07:48:07 pm »
Hi anyone out there trying this song ! I have the strumming and chord changes but cannot nail the pentatonic  scale routine for this song ! I have the first section but just can’t get the sequence right !
Thanks for any help
Jam

Get The Forum As A Mobile App