Author Topic: BS-201 • A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins  (Read 17455 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:01:51 am by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline algebun

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BS-201 • A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:01:52 am »
A Girl Like You. 

I can do the 'And' after '2' strum for all of verse one.  But the problem I have is when I try singing along.  I have no problems playing and singing going from Line 2 (of Verse 1) to Line 3 (of verse 1).  But that is because the Am begins on the first word.  However I have a lot of problems singing from Line 3 (of verse 1) to Line 4 (of verse 1).  That is because The Am begins on the 3rd word ('never').  I feel like I'm rushing to sing 'And I've' after the |Dm Am| is strummed but before the next |Am | is strummed.

I must be missing something because I always have trouble singing and strumming if the chord change is not on the first word of a new line 

I hope I'm not confusing you

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:31:15 am »
First of all, welcome.

Second, have you seen the ustream show from last week? It is all about singing and playing at the same time.

My only advice is to either practice it more slowly, or to make sure that your guitar playing is completely on autopilot.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:44:09 am »
Watch the ustream show Dr. W mentioned, it's really good!

One thing upfront: make sure that you have the rhythm of the vocals down solid before you play it with chords. Sing to a metronome beat, a drum beat, or use your guitar (strings muted) for percussion. You need to separate your chord changes from your singing, because start and finish of a line rarely go exactly with chord changes (would be rather boring, too).

I'd recommend to start with a metronome or (playback) drum beat. Once that works fine, make your own drum beat with the guitar, but mute the strings. That gets your strumming hand involved. Once that's solid, apply the chords.

Singing and playing guitar are two separate skills and they both need a lot of practice.

But don't worry, this will get a lot easier with practice.

Oh, and remember to listen to the record and sing to the record (like Justin said), so you really "get" the timing of the vocals. There are always many different ways to sing a song, but you need a place to start.

Offline algebun

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »
do you have a link to the ustream show from last week. 

Thx

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »
Here you go buddy,

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20809686

It is the March 1st, 2012 episode.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Riquez

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »
I am having difficulty grasping if UP strums 'belong' to the preceding DOWN or not. This song is a good example.

A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins

1~2~3~4~
D~DU~UD~

Thats how it seems, each beat is on the down strum, so therefore each UP strum 'belongs' to the previous down.

The reason I ask is that if a song, like this one, requires 2 beats on Dm & then 2 on Em - when should you change chords?
In the video Justin seems to say that you change & play Em on the 2nd UP - but to me that seems like it is before the 3rd beat.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »
The up-strums don't "belong" to anything, they're notes in there own right. Technically, if you play e.g. D du ud (4/4 time, counted 1 2& &4), then you're playing a quarter note on 1 (down), an 8th note on 2 (down), a quarter note (or two eigth tied over, but that's not important here) on the next "and" (up), and so on. It's just about how long you hold the note (or chord) after the strum or how much time till the next note is played.

But to answer you actual question: usually you change the chord between the up (8th note played on the "and") and the down on the next beat, so the up is on the "old" chord, the down on the new. This is the case most of the time, unless you're "pushing" the change (anticipating it by e.g. an eigth). But for now you can take it as a rule.

I hope that makes some kind of sense ;)

Riquez

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:25 pm »
It doesn't make a great deal of sense, but I can sort of see what you mean. The 8ths / 4ths etc are a bit confusing for my level.

However, you seem to be agreeing with my simplistic view. I realise that 'belong' is the wrong word, but at my level I just need to know where is a good place to change chords in a strumming pattern.

1~2~3~4~
D~DU~UD~
Dm__Em__

If the above is correct, I would only play Dm as D~DU
& then change chords, Em on the final UD

Is that a fair way for me to look at it for a beginner?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:12 pm »
Yep :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:33:37 am »
Note that the ustream session is now a 'proper' lesson

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-401-SingingAndPlaying.php
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

SabyasachiK

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 04:15:23 pm »
I am finding it really difficult to understand the chords by listening to the track.
The main problem is its hard to catch the acoustic music in the middle of all other instruments.
Please let me the know the approach to catch the guitar playing the chords from the record.
This is not just for this song, for picking the chords in general.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:44:00 pm »
I'm not sure there's much acoustic playing to be heard here, at least in the recording I have.

Generally speaking it's very difficult to filter out instruments. There are some tricks depending on how the guitar is panned in a stereo mix. Try listening to only one side, also read up on voice cancellation by phase inversion.

Sometimes you can get rid of some stuff with EQing, e.g. turning down an over-powering kick-drum / bass by filtering lower frequencies, or to filter higher frequencies to get rid of cymbals or violons. But the result is often a little doubtful. The acoustic guitar spans a wide range of frequencies and most of the time you take something out that you'll be missing.

Usually it's much easier to go on YT and to try and find an acoustic version of the song, and to play along with that. Even if you can't find anything by the original artist, chances are somebody has done the work for you.

Offline Sinead

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »
Hello,

I've been on the beginners course for 2 months now and have been wondering about something... When playing a song like this is it essential to strum only the strings for that chord. I find it quite tricky, although I have been trying. For example in this song when you play Am only strings 1-5, Dm 1-4 and Em 1-6.

Any any advice would be appreciated!

Sinead

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 07:16:31 pm »
In an ideal world you would strum only the strings you need. Practically speaking you should be using your left hand to mute unwanted strings, like a fingertip of a fretted note to mute he next string up, or a thumb over the neck to mute the 6th string.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Sinead

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:01 pm »
OK, thank you for the advice Borodog. At the moment I still look at my left hand a lot so I'm not always sure if I am strumming the right strings. I will try the muting thing!

Sinead

Offline bonnyy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 02:36:34 pm »
I have a question concerning the melody you Justin shows at the end of video. I learned the minor pentatonic scale (stage 7 beginner course)... Can someone help me please?  :(

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 03:22:47 pm »
@ bonnyy,

Well what is the question?

This page: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-304-MinorPentatonicPatterns.php

This scale shape:  Pattern 1 (CAGED: E shape)

Put the RED dot on the low E string on the 8th fret. 

Put on the song and find the notes within that shape.  There is one note that is outside those notes.

Without as actual question, I answered all the questions I could think of, albeit generically.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 04:41:18 pm »
Put your third finger on the other C note (D string 10 fret). That's your root note. All the phrases begin and end here. Like Justin says; it goes up the scale and then back down. Next, it goes up with a jump and comes back down. Finally it jumps out of the scale for one note before resolving back to the root. You could try to watch Justin's hands really closely, but you're better off listening.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline bonnyy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice where to start.
I found the first three notes of melody. 5 string 10 fret, 4 strings 8 fret , 4 strings 10 fret  .... but at this tempo I will find the rest of melody next year .... :-P The problem is not only found on the tones but what Justin does some tricks that I did not learned in the beginner course (maybe bending? )
I finished 9 stage, but I am not confident with some thing and I start over to repeat.
I hope you understand what I'm asking. I do not speak very English well.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 08:42:01 am »
This is probably not what Justin intended, but try this. In the BC, you learn the A minor pentatonic scale. You start it with your first finger on the 6th string, 5th fret. That's the root note (A), which makes it the A minor pentatonic scale. However, there are 2 more root notes in this pattern. The second one is on the 4th string fret, 7th fret (remember this one), and the last is on the 1st string, 5th fret (just like the first one). The thing is the pentatonic pattern is movable. Justin teaches A Girl Like You with a capo at fret 3 with the Am, Dm. and Em shapes. This means that the song is really in Cm which he demonstrates using full bar chords. You can play the little solo by shifting the Am pentatonic pattern up 3 frets (like the capo) to play Cm pentatonic. Your root notes are now E8, D10 (this is the important one), and e8.

To play the riff, put your 3rd finger on D10, play that note then the next 3 notes in the scale up to B8. Then come back down from B8 back to D10. The rhythm is a little syncopated. The second phrase starts at D10 again, goes up 1 note then jumps to B11, then descends down the scale again. The third phrase is a repeat of the first phrase. The fourth phrase starts at D10 again (they all do) jumps out of the scale (G7 I think) and then ascends back to the root. I think there are only six unique notes in the whole riff and it's played entirely on the D, G, and B strings.
Fender Mustang 1

Offline bonnyy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 10:57:52 am »
Thanks to instructions. :-)) That really is not complicated, I can do it! Yesterday it seemed much more difficult. Thanks again to all the advanced guitarists in the forum!!!! 

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 01:36:13 pm »
In BS-201 A Girl Like You, I loved the strumming technique. It makes you feel like you're a pro guitar player. I am able to strum full bar on Amin and then jump to Dmin for half bar. My problem arises when I change from Dmin (down, down) to Emin (Up, up), I lose rhythm here and become numb.

I know strumming technique is discussed/explained in later stages, but it's nice to do something different, not the normal strumming.

Any advice in this regard?

Thank you!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 02:28:30 pm »
Omar If I remember rightly somewhere Justin suggests that for beginners even if they are playing a strumming pattern for full bars of a chord that for the half bars they continue to use down strums. I might of course be completely making this up but that is what I did early where I had exactly the same difficulty. It's pretty tricky early on to change chord mid bar and keep the pattern going.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 05:46:50 pm »
I am able to strum full bar on Amin and then jump to Dmin for half bar. My problem arises when I change from Dmin (down, down) to Emin (Up, up), I lose rhythm here and become numb.

I played this song when I was in Stage 2, and I agree that I got a sense of accomplishment when I got this down. The thing is this is not the easiest thing to do. The strum pattern is Old Faithful (D Du uD ). The trick is switching chords on the 'and' after 2. That's a very fast change and changing on an up strum is always a challenge. FWIW, I found the quick change Dm to Am at the end of the verse even harder than the quick change Dm to Em you mentioned.

You have a decision to make. How much time are you willing to invest in this one song? As Rossco mentioned, Justin usually recommends that Stage 2 beginners stick to 4 down strums. If you're willing to push it, you can try Old Faithful. As you've found, the easy part is getting it to work for the Am. You need to get your chord changes lightning fast (lots of 1 minute changes) and practice the strum pattern a lot. Then try to combine the two. It's just practice. No secrets.

For me, in Stage 2, I was satisfied with 4 down strums, but in Stage 3-4, I revisited the song and applied Old Faithful as my strumming improved. It was time well spent.
Fender Mustang 1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App