Author Topic: Windows Mobile Phone  (Read 610 times)

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
Windows Mobile Phone
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
Hmmm......this is a long shot......

Any mobile phone geniuses on here?

I recently bought a 2nd hand HTC Touch 3g Windows mobile phone.

Legend

It was originally on Orange (UK) network and I couldn't use the WiFi setting because (as a bit of Googling told me), Orange had programmed it to have a 'unique service' in the WiFi's place. What this meant, was that if I wanted to use WiFi to connect to my home router, I'd have to go through Orange's service and they'd charge me to use my own home internet!! Shocking, I know.

Anyway, I had the phone unlocked 'cos my network is T-Mobile (UK). Still the same problem. I couldn't even get my T-Mobile internet settings sent to my phone because of it. Not only that, but I couldn't update from the HTC site either because, it seems, Orange had made sure that the serial no.'s on their versions of the Touch 3g wouldn't register with the HTC site.

After a bit of Googling :

The Solution

I had to 'flash' my phone with a new 'cooked' (3rd party) ROM after installing 'hard SPL' (onto the phone itself) first, which I hadn't done before, but was successful. It removed any trace of Orange and their greedy 'unique service'. My 'unique service' option is now 'WiFi' as it was meant to be. Only trouble is, I still cannot activate the WiFi. It has an on/off setting but when I press it, it remains in the off position, just as the 'unique service' did. Anyone know if it's just down to connection settings or anything like that? I've been messing around with it for days and still no cigar.

Additional Info

After getting my T-Mobile settings, I still cannot connect to the internet using GPRS(?) Could this be the problem?

I can connect by connecting the phone to the PC using 'Windows Mobile Device Center' and using the phone as a modem.

Windows 6.1

Hmmm......this is a long shot......

Any mobile phone geniuses on here?  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App