Author Topic: How to choose pickups ???  (Read 3481 times)

StarvingMusician

How to choose pickups ???
« on: February 02, 2012, 04:23:11 am »
Can you suggest something or some material that I may refer to ?
What kind of HH combo can one use for blues, rock, metal etc. ?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
Re: How to choose pickups ???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:42:53 am »
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

StarvingMusician

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:20:24 am »
Ask the Wizard

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/

Thanks. It seems to be ok. Agathis not included, web pages not very user friendly.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:25:11 am »
Ask the Wizard

Oh, I thought you meant Dan G. with that.... :)

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:40:44 am »
@ Starving

I thought you were going to concentrate on learning to play and put aside the notion of upgrading gear for now!

;)

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:20 am »
@ Starving - where in your OP did you say you were interested in pick ups to go with agathis? In any event, from a tonal perspective it isn't too far from Mahogony.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

julienarrijs

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:21 am »
Bkp's :Bare Knuckle Pickups, Mules, Stormy Mondays, hit the bkp forum for info and soundclips

Offline stevics

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Saaarfend
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:22:23 pm »
I'm using a Duncan JB (Bridge) and Jazz (neck)

It's a well liked combination for Blues and Rock. Sold as the Hotrodded set.

Works for me.

Also I've heard nothing but good things about Bare Knucle and Tim is an all round good guy.
Must get me some !
"No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Clips:      http://soundcloud.com/stevics

StarvingMusician

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:13 am »
@ Starving

I thought you were going to concentrate on learning to play and put aside the notion of upgrading gear for now!

;)

Yes, but this one is out of curiosity.  :)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »
Can you suggest something or some material that I may refer to ?
What kind of HH combo can one use for blues, rock, metal etc. ?

Bareknuckle pickups, either Cold Sweat, Mule or Rebel Yell set.

StarvingMusician

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 09:14:06 am »
Also how do i have to take the resistance and similar stuff into account while selecting ?

StarvingMusician

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 09:14:54 am »
Can anyone suggest emgs, seymour duncans and di marzios ?

julienarrijs

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 11:40:50 am »
i played emg, imo they're good for one thing : emulating kirk hammet sterile tone :D ...wich is used to like ....not very versatile imon, sound very cold and are expensive.

I played di marzios as well, i have an sd 1 on the bridge position in my strat.

Seymours are nice

but i find bareknuckle pup's much superior

i have a rebell yell pup on the bridge position in my strat  and the level of articulation you get on high gain settings is out of this world, i have a mule on the neck position, it does anything you want, blues, rock , and the tone is outstanding

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:19:25 pm »
Resistance is not as important as you'd think, although it can be used as a minor indication how hot pickups will be (AKA how high the output will be).

As for the brands you mentioned, i can tell you EMG won't be for you unles you're a big fan of very cold and dead sounding pickups.
Seymour Duncan has too many pickups to say anything, we'd have to go into specifics.
Dimarzio i just hate with a passion, never liked anything they put out, so i can't comment on that.

Another brand to consider : Iron Gear.
Cheap, but decent enough, cheaper than any of previous brands, but with some nice pickups.

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »
Tone Rider are pretty nice and pretty cheap pick ups - I put some in my Schecter

Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

monteverdi9

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 12:36:04 am »
Anybody in Europe and beyond get Lollar pickups over there? 

I'm not knocking aftermarket pickups for what they are.  I've seen improvements made to guitars with SD and DiMarzio's and the like, but nothing that would knock me down.

The few guitars that I've played that have lollar pickups have just floored me with the sound quality.  Worth checking out if they're available to you.

StarvingMusician

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 09:38:31 am »
As for the brands you mentioned, i can tell you EMG won't be for you unles you're a big fan of very cold and dead sounding pickups.

What does cold and dead mean ? I assume that it means the hard, unmelodious, electric saw-like sound that some metal artists are known for. I often hear words like these (muddy, colorful etc) with pickups. But I never truly understand that. I wish someone could post some audio files to demonstrate. Or take it one level further by comparing it to "better" sounding pups, again with audio files.
Is it possible for you to give me a demo ?

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »
I have loads of guitars, but not enough differing pickups to demonstrate all of that, and not enough time to record.

Offline Zman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 05:37:13 am »
You can find many emg demos on youtube.

However, what Dan is referring to is something rather hard to pick up on as a beginner (just cause you need to train your ears to recognize it), and from youtube (because sound quality isn't always great, and many things like recording setup and even room properties affect the result quite a bit). Blues and rock guitarists are often after what is referred to as a "warm" tone, which has some to do with eq balance, which depends your pickups "natural" output, and your own adjustment of the guitar's tone knob and amp eq settings. However, "warmth" is also a product of dynamics and what is sometimes referred to as "color" of the tone. Active pickups like emg have a distinct "coldness" to them...

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much... it will all come to you quite naturally as you develop as a guitarist. And it does take time. I think it took me several good years before I had any real opinion of pickup types... and because I don't play out at all these days, and use mainly two guitars... I don't have a real chance to try out that many pickups. Frankly, I could not care  less... and for now, I don't think you should mind that much either. When you start hearing differences, and understand how to define them - then you can search for your favorite pickup.

monteverdi9

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 06:07:41 am »
+1 on zman,

When your ear begins to register 'ice pick' sharpness or 'mushy' undefined sounds, it's probably time to start shopping for new pickups.  It will come with time.  Have patience, learning guitar isn't just knowing where to put your fingers, its a lot more, including training your ears.

With time, it will come to you.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App