Author Topic: FO-103 • Creating Fingerstyle Patterns  (Read 8274 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: FO-103 • Creating Fingerstyle Patterns
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:15:57 pm »
I am just starting to explore fingerpicking.  It seems that for some songs, like if I just am using the top four strings, d, g, b, e, that I should move the thumb down for the d and g strings  and just use two my index and middle finger on the b and e strings.  Or do I have to always keep my fingers in "first position" (is there a name for the standard finger picking position of the picking hands on the strings?)?

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »
It's a good habit to keep your thumb for the bass only notes. So when playing the D G B E string use the
thumb for the rhythm on the D and G and the melody note using the index, middle and ring or just
index and middle.

What I'm trying to say is if a melody note is to be played on the D or G string don't use your thumb use
one of the other fingers. This way you can keep the bass line going with the thumb.

But like all rules there are exceptions. I find it easier to play fast repeating melody notes with the thumb
and index finger(almost like alternate picking with a pick) than the index and middle finger.
usually when that happens in a song there aren't any bass line notes.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:04:38 pm »
Thanks, Stitch.

That's exactly what made sense to me.  Thumb is Mr. Rhythm.  Other fingers are the Melody Kids.
Palm is Mr. Mute.  And I strum either with the Nails family or Fleshy Tips...

I think I'm out of control...  But it started with that kids' song, "Where is Thumpkin..." which I am just discovering I don't remember much of...

Anyway, really, thanks again.

pat
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:47:11 am by close2u »
Realism is relative.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:06:55 am »
Hi. I am working through the fingerstyle part of the intermediate course. I want to add melody notes to my acoustic guitar playing.  In the lessons Justin provide two songs as examples of how this is applied.(Happy Birthday and Waltzing Matilda).

I want to know if any of the  more experienced forum members are using these techniques to add melody notes while they are playing?

I don't see this topic feafured much on the forum.

Any suggestions for other songs where one can add melody notes to the chords?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have a cracking day!
Barend

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 06:25:48 am »
Hey Barend,

Great to hear from you again. Hope all is going well, staying safe, down in the fairest Cape.

I've never looked at the IM course, so can't comment on that. Still busy with some of the early lessons from the Folk Fingerstyle module and learning the first couple of solo blues pieces.

Interested to see what others have to say in reply.

Offline savarezguy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 08:32:17 am »
Yes, I went through the fingerstyle modules and had already done some attempts at Freight Train by Elisabeth Cotten before. Mr T Emmanuel has covered it briefly in his tutorials, but without tabs (could not find it) and I did not quite get it fully at the time. However, the tutorial by Nate Savage is really state of the art with a clear chord progression, bass line walkthrough and melody walkthrough. It is not easy, but step by step, chord by chord, eventually you will get there.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 08:42:39 am »
Yes, I went through the fingerstyle modules and had already done some attempts at Freight Train by Elisabeth Cotten before. Mr T Emmanuel has covered it briefly in his tutorials, but without tabs (could not find it) and I did not quite get it fully at the time. However, the tutorial by Nate Savage is really state of the art with a clear chord progression, bass line walkthrough and melody walkthrough. It is not easy, but step by step, chord by chord, eventually you will get there.

Had a quick peak at Nat Savage tutorial. Looks great. Bookmarked for future reference. Thanks very much.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 08:50:46 am »
...I want to know if any of the  more experienced forum members are using these techniques to add melody notes while they are playing? ...
If you listen to two of my pieces in AVOYP you will hear exactly this ...

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=45517.0

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48118.0

Come back with any follow up questions you may have on the how / why / wherefore etc ...

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 05:11:54 pm »
Hi Guys.

Savarezguy:
Good to hear that you followed this path. Thanks for the encouragement. I added the Freight Train lesson to the list.

Richard:
I had a listen to the two pieces you referenced and can hear the melody line, especially on the one you wrote during lockdown. I have noticed on your videos with the Missus that you combine playing individual notes combined with chords.

I enjoy the style of playing of Ed Sheeran, Passenger (let her go), Fast Car - Tracy Chapman, etc.  Paul Davids' youtube video titled "10 fun fingerstyle songs" provides a few examples of this style of playing.  I want to know how one can build up the dexterity of the fretting hand to play like Paul in this video.  I guess the obvious answer is to find tabs for these types of songs and start playing while working through Justin's folk fingerstyle modules. Is there anything else that one should do? How does one source tab for easier fingerstyle songs... or is there a process to follow to start adding melody lines to the easy strumming guitar songs we already know?

Also, should I put more emphasis on reading guitar tabs for this journey?

David:
All is very well down here, nice to touch base. We enjoyed a very restful holiday season which left me with a lot of energy to set new goals. The tendonitis in both my elbows are (mostly) under control thanks to specific exercises I do daily. The physio says in 6 months to a year it will be something of the past. 
Kids are growing up and leaving the house, as they do. We have to bribe them back over weekends with  a "lekke ou Braai"!
I have dabbled with pencil sketching during the holiday and got a Bonsai kit as a Christmas gift, after shooting my mouth off about the beauty of Bonsai  ;D So lot's of exciting stuff happening this side. Good to see you remain as active as always on the community.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 05:25:39 pm »
Subscribed to Nates channel, his Jazzy winter wonderland is ACE!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 07:46:07 pm »
On Songsterr, here are 120 exercises, Etudes, if you like, that are seemingly classical guitar style, and which are named for right-hand picking practice, but may help you develop the skills in both hands.

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/mauro-giuliani-giulianis-120-right-hand-studies-tab-s32808t0

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 08:32:00 pm »
On Songsterr, here are 120 exercises, Etudes, if you like, that are seemingly classical guitar style, and which are named for right-hand picking practice, but may help you develop the skills in both hands.
https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/mauro-giuliani-giulianis-120-right-hand-studies-tab-s32808t0
Good call, I’ll have a look at those in the future!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 03:45:17 am »
Thanks Richard!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 06:44:01 am »
All is very well down here, nice to touch base. We enjoyed a very restful holiday season which left me with a lot of energy to set new goals. The tendonitis in both my elbows are (mostly) under control thanks to specific exercises I do daily. The physio says in 6 months to a year it will be something of the past. 
Kids are growing up and leaving the house, as they do. We have to bribe them back over weekends with  a "lekke ou Braai"!
I have dabbled with pencil sketching during the holiday and got a Bonsai kit as a Christmas gift, after shooting my mouth off about the beauty of Bonsai  ;D So lot's of exciting stuff happening this side. Good to see you remain as active as always on the community.

Glad to hear all is well, Barend. Much the same, my side.

Keep at the fingerstyle and look forward to you sharing some playing soon.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App