Author Topic: FO-102 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 2  (Read 13864 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
FO-102 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 2
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:09:32 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

rohangeorge

Re: FO-102 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 2
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:36:26 am »
How do these patterns fit into 'Dont Think Twice'? I've been trying to fit them but the timing never works.

Offline SarahZ62

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:57:42 pm »
Hi, I came here to ask pretty much the same question as you, rohangeorge, but I see no one has answered as yet :(

At the end of this lesson, Justin suggests we fit the patterns into Dylan's "don't think twice, it's all right". I am having some trouble as well. Specifically, the last two lines of each verse. So in the first verse it would be "(C) you're the (G) reason I'm (Am) travellin' (F) on / (C) but don't think (G) twice, it's (C) all right (G)"

I am having a pretty hard time fitting in the finger pattern in the whole song but here it seems as though each chord is only played for half a bar/two beats? If you change chords in the middle of a bar, how do you do the finger pattern?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 08:33:52 pm »
Hmmm, I would count it

|C / / / | G / / / | Am / / / | Am / / / | F / / / | F / / / | C / / / | G / / / |....

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:04:26 am »
Correct. They are full bars played quite fast.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline SarahZ62

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:50:18 am »
Ok, I didn't realize they were full bars, thanks guys! I am playing it so slowly it makes things sound off I think. I think I am starting to get it though. Funny how this song is so much harder for me to sing and fingerpick at the same time than another song I practiced first (the bluegrass "I'll fly away"). maybe the words come more on the beat with that one? But I think how fast Dylan sings it has been making it more of a challenge for me.

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:05 am »
Ok, I didn't realize they were full bars, thanks guys! I am playing it so slowly it makes things sound off I think. I think I am starting to get it though. Funny how this song is so much harder for me to sing and fingerpick at the same time than another song I practiced first (the bluegrass "I'll fly away"). maybe the words come more on the beat with that one? But I think how fast Dylan sings it has been making it more of a challenge for me.
I found it easier to sing 'in my head' while playing (and the neighbours were relieved)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline SarahZ62

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 03:42:05 pm »
Lol! Well I didn't think the neighbors could hear, I am in an apartment but I am not using a mic or anything!

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 10:59:03 am »
I suddenly feel I’m making progress here!

As Justin suggests at the end of the lesson in the IM course book, I’m trying my hand at Bob Dylan’s Don’t Think Twice I’m Alright. Don’t get me wrong, I’m slow, make mistakes all over the place, but I can see where I’m going.

Fingerstyle/picking is so difficult but so much fun!
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline iamyong

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 09:10:46 am »
i am learning fingerstyle as well! it's so fun but can get frustrating when no sound is coming out :(

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 12:28:16 pm »
Still working away at this and ‘Don’t think twice’ is getting better, but I have a question.

When I play D7 I can keep my pattern the same by using my fret thumb to give an F# base. However there is a C to C7 change in the song and the A# of the C7 needs to be on the beat to sound right. This doesn’t fit the picking pattern.

If I change the pattern I can make it work. As I type this I’m thinking perhaps I’m answering my own question as ‘if it sounds good, it is good’. Is it ok to have a different pattern for one chord of a song? Of course it must be! I’m thinking out loud now and perhaps others might benefit from my thought process! 😃
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 12:38:43 pm »
Still working away at this and ‘Don’t think twice’ is getting better, but I have a question.

When I play D7 I can keep my pattern the same by using my fret thumb to give an F# base. However there is a C to C7 change in the song and the A# of the C7 needs to be on the beat to sound right. This doesn’t fit the picking pattern.

If I change the pattern I can make it work. As I type this I’m thinking perhaps I’m answering my own question as ‘if it sounds good, it is good’. Is it ok to have a different pattern for one chord of a song? Of course it must be! I’m thinking out loud now and perhaps others might benefit from my thought process! 😃

Sounds like good thinking.

Respect that you can make progress on picking patterns and use left thumb for an F# !!

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 05:05:25 pm »
Respect that you can make progress on picking patterns and use left thumb for an F# !!
For some reason I find I can play both D/F# and D7/F# using my thumb quite easily. That makes up in some small way for the many other things that at the moment I find next to impossible!

I can almost play the pattern without thinking about it, but if I try to fit in the odd extra note for embellishment, or change the pattern slightly as I mentioned in the previous post, that’s when the wheels come off.

I’ve also just been listening again to the Dylan original and despair at the speed he’s plays it at.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 04:44:57 pm »
An embellishment bonus that I’m finding with this is accidental hammer-ons. Without trying, I’m finding these appear from nowhere on a somewhat random basis between chord changes! 😃

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 220
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 03:15:17 am »
Some of the best lessons come by making mistakes that sound good.  8)
Throw in a few extra melody note and see what you come up with.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 09:01:46 am »
Some of the best lessons come by making mistakes that sound good.  8)
Throw in a few extra melody note and see what you come up with.
I’ve been trying to add in a few notes here and there but struggle to keep the pattern going when introducing ‘extras’. It’s all about getting the pattern working automatically and I’m not there yet.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App