Author Topic: FO-102 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 2  (Read 8515 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • justinguitar.com
FO-102 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 2
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:09:32 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

rohangeorge

Re: FO-102 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 2
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:36:26 am »
How do these patterns fit into 'Dont Think Twice'? I've been trying to fit them but the timing never works.

Offline SarahZ62

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:57:42 pm »
Hi, I came here to ask pretty much the same question as you, rohangeorge, but I see no one has answered as yet :(

At the end of this lesson, Justin suggests we fit the patterns into Dylan's "don't think twice, it's all right". I am having some trouble as well. Specifically, the last two lines of each verse. So in the first verse it would be "(C) you're the (G) reason I'm (Am) travellin' (F) on / (C) but don't think (G) twice, it's (C) all right (G)"

I am having a pretty hard time fitting in the finger pattern in the whole song but here it seems as though each chord is only played for half a bar/two beats? If you change chords in the middle of a bar, how do you do the finger pattern?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 08:33:52 pm »
Hmmm, I would count it

|C / / / | G / / / | Am / / / | Am / / / | F / / / | F / / / | C / / / | G / / / |....

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:04:26 am »
Correct. They are full bars played quite fast.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline SarahZ62

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:50:18 am »
Ok, I didn't realize they were full bars, thanks guys! I am playing it so slowly it makes things sound off I think. I think I am starting to get it though. Funny how this song is so much harder for me to sing and fingerpick at the same time than another song I practiced first (the bluegrass "I'll fly away"). maybe the words come more on the beat with that one? But I think how fast Dylan sings it has been making it more of a challenge for me.

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:05 am »
Ok, I didn't realize they were full bars, thanks guys! I am playing it so slowly it makes things sound off I think. I think I am starting to get it though. Funny how this song is so much harder for me to sing and fingerpick at the same time than another song I practiced first (the bluegrass "I'll fly away"). maybe the words come more on the beat with that one? But I think how fast Dylan sings it has been making it more of a challenge for me.
I found it easier to sing 'in my head' while playing (and the neighbours were relieved)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline SarahZ62

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 03:42:05 pm »
Lol! Well I didn't think the neighbors could hear, I am in an apartment but I am not using a mic or anything!

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 10:59:03 am »
I suddenly feel I’m making progress here!

As Justin suggests at the end of the lesson in the IM course book, I’m trying my hand at Bob Dylan’s Don’t Think Twice I’m Alright. Don’t get me wrong, I’m slow, make mistakes all over the place, but I can see where I’m going.

Fingerstyle/picking is so difficult but so much fun!
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM and Folk Fingerstyle (and a little Blues impro 😎).
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline iamyong

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 09:10:46 am »
i am learning fingerstyle as well! it's so fun but can get frustrating when no sound is coming out :(

Get The Forum As A Mobile App