Author Topic: FO-101 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 1  (Read 13108 times)

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
Re: FO-101 • Folk Fingerstyle Patterns 1
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 01:02:38 pm »
I might just be griping, but I've just started to fingerpick and all of a sudden my fretting hand is making stupid mistakes.  What's up with that?  Has it happened to anyone else?  I think it might just be from changing my focus to getting the right strings with my fingers.  And the same thing kind of happens anytime I try to pick out a note.  What's weird is that I can fret the bass note when I'm strumming but when I'm fingerpicking all of a sudden I get buzz buzz buzz.   Or I could be one of the few people who start to go backwards at a certain point, like Benjamin Button.   I have a lot of practicing to do, but I would love to know this is not a freaky thing.... because I don't need any more of those. ;)
Realism is relative.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 07:01:01 pm »
I found it difficult to fingerpick in the beginning as well. Heck, it's still difficult!
I guess that the sudden focus on the right hands picking patterns allocates a lot of brain power and that the fretting hand then suffers in precision just shows that we need a lot of practice still.

Keep at, it will come to you eventually.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 09:27:57 pm »
Hey Pat-

I think the issue might be because when you play with a pick, you mainly just need to control your entire hand motion but when you fingerpick you are having to coordinate each of your fingers. The movements are probably similar enough to the movement of your fretting hand that your brain wants to try and sync the two up. Kind of like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach, both hands tend to want to do the same thing  :P

Just like anything else, starting slow and simple and then working your way up to more difficult things is the way to go and the problem will probably work itself out in time!

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 06:15:55 am »
Hey Pat-

I think the issue might be because when you play with a pick, you mainly just need to control your entire hand motion but when you fingerpick you are having to coordinate each of your fingers. The movements are probably similar enough to the movement of your fretting hand that your brain wants to try and sync the two up. Kind of like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach, both hands tend to want to do the same thing  :P

Just like anything else, starting slow and simple and then working your way up to more difficult things is the way to go and the problem will probably work itself out in time!

Wow, I think you're right!!   How interesting mind mapping is... you do something just a few times and it builds a freeway in your brain -- well I suppose it starts as a little dirt road -- and then if you add another way to get there your brain fights you to stay where it's been.   Brain flexibiity exercises are as important as anything I think.  That's why singing and playing at the same time and being able to separate the two functions is so hard and so valuable.   
Realism is relative.

Offline ausboy76

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:55 pm »
ive learnt patterns 1234 in the finger style im a little confused justin said in the video to play pattern 1 and then patern 2 together would you do that in a song or would you play pattern 1-3 together after each other as the chord prog is c,g,am,f. so my point is c chord patern 1 for 4 beats then g chord pattern 2 for 4 beats or c chord pattern 1 then g chord pattern 3, plus i would really like to know what kind of songs are these patterns used in as he said billions of songs use these patterns as a default. i love the lessons but would really like some advice if possible thanks. keep up the great work justin

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 11:36:58 pm »
Pattern 1 and 2 for C and Am pattern 3 and 4 G and depending on what F your playing you could use
any of the 4 patterns.

You root note is always the lowers note played with these patterns. So if you're playing a full
barre F you could use Pattern 3 or 4 because the root note is on the E string.
If you're playing a 4 finger F the root is on the D string but you are plying the 5th on the A string
so pattern 1 and 2 will work.
If you're playing the mini barre F then the pattern you'd use the lowest string played would be on
the D string which isn't one of these 4 but like pattern 1 and 2 but everything is played from the
D string to high e.

Offline Kihap

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 09:48:04 am »
Are these bars 4/4 or 7/4 or what? I cannot get the idea right. Maybe this question sounds stupid, but I had to ask.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 03:18:37 pm »
They are all 4/4 time the thumb is played on the beat. The fingers are played in between the beat.
If you have finished the Beginner Course think of it as 8th note stumming on the and.
If you have completed the Beginner Course and don't understand the concept gobackand redo
all the rhythm part of the course.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App