Author Topic: Best firefox add-ons/ PC tweaks  (Read 1848 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Best firefox add-ons/ PC tweaks
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:08:59 pm »
what are some good add-ons for Firefox to makes browsing a beetr experience?

Things I want.....

PopUp, Scam, Malware prevention, etc.

Download enhancement, GUI layout for faster use, etc.

AND/OR any other general configurations outside FF.

Also similar question of Thunderbird where I have maybe 7 different accounts.

In general, I just want to make things, lean, clean, secure and better than a standard install experience. I'm swapping to a new PC and didn't really want to put this PC on the I'net but have decided it will make my life easier at the end of the day.

Current best paid anti-virus, malware, etc. offering --- Unless... there is a valid proven free offering that is superioir. I general find that no matter how good a free service is, the paid version is really what is needed.

...and finally any good Win7 Home Pre tweaks, add-ons, or whatever to make for a smooth, clean secure, fast, setup/

Thanks

Gone

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
Re: Best firefox add-ons/ PC tweaks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »
Adblock Plus

DownloadHelper

Can't help with paid-for A/V.

Andy

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:42:22 pm »
You could use 'Pale Moon', which is a stripped back version of Firefox and works exactly the same.

Another vote for Adblock Plus.
Noscript.
Flashblock.
Ebay sidebar for Firefox (really handy if you have an active watching list and run saved searches a lot)
Minimise to Tray (Does what it says on the box)
Padlock (puts the little padlock back in the address bar, so you know when you're on a secure page)
Status-4-evar (puts the status bar back after FF4 ditched it....... among other tricks)
Internet Download Manager addon that came with the program of the same name, which is mega handy if I want to download a flash video or audio stream: two clicks and it's done.

I use that lot exclusively and they're all freebies (only exception being Internet Download Manager..... But that pays for itself in functionality). It might seem a lot, but they just about cover all the bases you require, TB........ One less if you don't use Ebay much. Security and functionality all rolled up in your Firefox joint.

The only addon I use for Thunderbird is the 'Minimise to Tray' one, so I can drop it out of the way while it's running. There's MozBackup, of course...... for obvious reasons.

As for PC security, I've gone through a few over the years 'cos I tend to look for a mix of functionality, low maintenance, minimal user intervention and as small a footprint as I can get while still being functional. With that in mind, I can recommend Kaspersky Internet Security. You can get it with a three user license and one years support and updates for absolutely buttons on the internet (I got mine for £12). When the time comes to resubscribe, it's cheaper to just buy a new one. There are a few things you can switch off once it's installed, 'cos a few of those Firefox plugins are better placed to take care of some threats and annoyances and doing so makes it a little less intrusive.

Which is not to say I won't go looking for another solution if Kaspersky decide to screw about with it and bloat it 'til it's unusable and makes it so my PC takes 20 minutes to boot to desktop, like Symantec did..... and AVG seem to be hell bent on doing....... but, for now, it's doing it's job fine, with no fuss and I can recommend it. Hell........ I recommended it for the two servers and twenty eight workstation network at my workplace and it's great............. Especially when we go into the logs and find out who's been trying to access pr0n in their dinner breaks so we can give them a ripping and buzz off them  ;D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:58:15 pm »
Internet Download Manager
vs
DownloadHelper

These are not complimentary in any way are they? I pick the one I think suits me?

Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:29 pm »
DownloadHelper is an addon for Firefox and is free........... IDM is a commercial program and is a complete download manager package that happens to have a nift, useful firefox extension to integrate it into your browser. It's relatively cheap and, if you do a fair bit of downloading it's a really helpful bit of kit.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 07:13:51 pm »
Ok, got it, thanks.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 09:18:05 pm »
what are some good add-ons for Firefox to makes browsing a beetr experience?

Things I want.....

PopUp, Scam, Malware prevention, etc.

First, switch to Pale Moon, much smoother.
Then, Adblockplus, Adblock element hiding helper, Adblock Popup stopper, Noscript, Greasemonkey and some of it's scripts.
Betterprivacy or Ghostery, Redirect Remover, TACO or BEEFTACO (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/targeted-advertising-cookie-op/?src=cb-dl-users and https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/beef-taco-targeted-advertising/?src=cb-dl-users) and there are many more, like TrackMeNot

As for AVS, Either Microsoft's own free AVS or Nod32, these two score best.
Perhaps use malwarebytes free as additional backup, but it's a bit overkil to go that far.

Download enhancement, GUI layout for faster use, etc.
AND/OR any other general configurations outside FF.

Download helper, maybe Wget ? Download Statusbar, NoiaFox (black theme), OptimizeGoogle, Roomy bookmarks toolbar.
Also, type about:config in either FF or Pale Moon's adress bar, and muck about with settings, google will yield lots of optimization tricks that can be implemented.
one tip : network.http.pipelining;true and network.http.pipelining.maxrequests;100
Beyond that, Google is your friend for finding settings that work best for you, as it's all about preferences.

Also similar question of Thunderbird where I have maybe 7 different accounts.

Other than the backup tool i already linked you to i don't really have any suggestions for Thunderbird...
It's a great mail reader but i've yet to find any really useful addons.

As for windows 7 tweaks, UWT (ultimate windows tweaker) works a treat.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:52 pm »
What is better about Pale Moon?

So far I've FF and Adblock Plus and Noscript. Haven't had a chance to look at rest

But before I go too far. Is PM really going to be noticeable?
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 12:38:08 am »
Yes, it will start faster, and is more responsive; Firefox can get quite sluggish.
Pale Moon IS Firefox though, that should be made very clear; it's just a modified form, to make it run smoother and faster.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 01:14:14 am »
Ok, I switched over to Pale Moon. Seems fine. Migration worked fine.

It's so fast I think it's yesterday again. jk 
Gone

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 01:25:31 am »
Just a quick pointer TB. I switched to Pale Moon a while ago, but my AVG free flagged it as a virus after a while and deleted my plug-in container as a consequence, making it hang. I don't seriously believe it was a virus mind - just AVG coming up with false positives as it's known to do. I went back to Firefox after that anyway. Just letting you know my own experience anyway mate.  :)

And a handy program unrelated to what you're asking, but always overlooked anyway :

Core Temp.

As I say, it's not an add-on for any browser or anything - but overheating system's are often overlooked when problems arise, and that's a free program that monitor's your CPU temperature constantly.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App