Author Topic: Acronis Clone vs Backup  (Read 1765 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Acronis Clone vs Backup
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
I made a thread a while back but can't find it now about backup / image software. Acronis has always been well thought of. Finally got around to switching out 40G hard drive for 80G.

I found an 80G Seagate that is basically the same model as the 40G that's now installed and full.

80G will be plenty big for this old XP system and I have other drives attached that are larger. This is the system drive.

Downloaded Acronis Home 2012 trial. Full backup ran fine. On the trial though the "Clone" feature is disabled.

I have the blank ( NTFS formatted ) 80G drive in a USB enclosure.

I have a firewire external drive that I backed up to for testing.

Now my question though, for what I want to do, which is have the 80G replace the 40G and have everything -exactly- like it is now just more free space available. am I supposed to "clone" this drive.

If so, the clone will not simply clone on 40G will it? IOW, it won't render my 80G into a 40G drive?

Also I understand that for this "clone" process, I will boot from a CD somehow, select source and destination ( C:\ source >> F:\ destination and simply press go. When that finishes I shut down, swap drives and fire it back up. At which time the system will be exactly as it was on have an extra 40G of free space on C:\

Is this right or wrong? Better way to do this? etc?

Thanks.

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: Acronis Clone vs Backup
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:28:18 pm »
My experience of cloning (and I don't know Acronis) is that you can either clone at the drive level, or at the partition level.

If you clone at the drive level, it will copy all the partitions as is.

If you clone at the partition level, it will only clone the specific partition, leaving the partition table and all other partitions alone. Normally you have to then create a new target partition on the new drive which is the same size as the old one.

Either way, normally the result of the clone will be the cloned partitions will the same size as the original. In your case that will be 40G.

Now it is then possible to either create new partitions on the rest of the drive (which in Windows will appear as new hard drives, D:, E:, etc.) or to expand the partition. The latter can be slightly risky and it's normally recommended to defrag the cloned drive first so that the resizing process has more space to work in. Some cloning tools might handle that for you transparently.

If you've cloned the whole drive then it should be possible to swap it and reboot. bear in mind that Windows can be picky about this and may detect that the drive is a different one (based on the unit serial number of something) and you may need to revalidate it against the licence.

Hopefully someone that knows Acronis will post a better answer.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:36 am »
Better way to do this? etc?

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

I used this (or another manufacturer's equivalent, but I think Seagate) to change a laptop drive. I had to get a USB caddy to fit the new drive in temporarily, but the whole thing was absolutely seamless & trouble free. Windows (XP) didn't feel a thing :)

Andy

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:06 am »
Well it turns out the Seagate deal is Acronis. In fact it won't even install until I remove Acronis 2012 because it's newer.

But... the Seagate instructions say to use the clone to move from from small drive to larger. so I'm going that route and see what happens.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:16:04 am »
Well I got the drive cloned but can't get the damn thing to boot.

Cloned it once and the drive size was 80G. would not boot. Read a fix that said to clone it a original size then use diskpart to extend it. that extended it fine but still wouldn't boot.

All the files are there but I can't figure how to get it to boot.

Any ideas?
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:50:49 am »
TB-

If I recall correctly, aren't you using Acronis True Image for Backups....... I think that was the gist of the other thread you mention. If you backed up your entire partition, you could always restore it to your new drive from the bootable Acronis disc, then expand the partition to fill out the new drive with one or another partition tool.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »
No, I'm using the Seagate which is basically Acronis.

Seems a lot of people have this problem. I'm going to make that boot disc and clone from it and see what happens. Their forum offers that advice to one person. another is to "reverse clone" where you place your source in a usb enclosure but I'm hesitant to do that.

So far I've just run it right out of windows. It reboots a couple times but something is clearly not getting everything. In fact when I put the original drive back in and restart the first thing that happens upon reboot is a screen that pops and says something like "clone process complete" then continues to boot normally.

I hate software that "almost works" lol.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:06:40 pm »
Well that didn't work either. Exactly the same behavior.

BIOS sees drive, files are there, but hangs at...... Verifying DMI Pool
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:11:11 pm »
Success!!!!

I've succeeded in creating a situation  where my good drive won't boot now. Jeeze.....

I knew if I kept swapping the drives back and forth I was going to ruin the good one. Plus the backup I made was made in Acronis and of course Seagate powered by Acronis doesn't recognize it.

What a crock of xx--xx
Gone

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:02:10 pm »
Ooh-err :-[ It just worked for me....

Just checking you don't need to change a jumper on your new drive after cloning to make it a master (don't know if it's even got any) and that you're plugging the new drive it into the correct socket on the ribbon cable (if it's PATA - the end one).

Can you boot to the recovery console off a CD?

Then try fixmbr ?

Good luck!

Andy

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »
It's basically FUBAR at this point. I'm getting blue screens now just trying to boot an XP CD. I swapping over to one of my other PC's. I've been having problems but assumed it was due to totally running the drive out of space. I'm sorta suprised at all this happening though.

I don't think it's the Seagate software or Acronis. It's just really inconvenient. Plus I wish I backed up my email. I have most recent stuff but I think I had some old messages with some serial numbers in them. Probably nothing I get elsewhere and may indeed have it backed somewhere else.

I need to get one of those SATA/IDE interfaces that let you plug a bare drive in for testing and cloning. Rather than a case. It's a just a quick and dirty little desktop deal. Can't say I recall where I saw one though.

I swapped out memory chips too and it still didn't work. I'm going to dig out a drive cable later. I might have messed that up swapping so many times.

But yeah, I got the jumpers and all that correct. I'll try that fixmbr it can't hurt. I hope it works off another pc.

ETA: Just tried to get to fixmbr but when the CD says "starting windows" after it loads all the files....that's when it blue screens.

I'm going to change out the CMOS battery and look up specs on this memory which can be a little touchy on voltages and if that doesn't work..... I'm going to shoot it.

It's kinda of interesting that it will not let windows load from CD or hard drive that had been working and I think this started when I tried to reset the BIOS. But I photographed each screen and everything is back where it was.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:07:40 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 10:30:05 pm »
I had a problem like that a little while back with a friend's computer............ Couldn't even get Windows to install without crashes and constant restarts. Sure enough, it was the memory. Swapped it out for a couple of gig of Crucial sticks and away it went.... happy again.

TB-

Do you have another PC with the same interface?........ You can always yank the cable off the boot drive, plug your suspect one in and see if it boots from there. If it boots to Windows, it'll go through the whole new hardware detection routine for obvious reasons, but it might give you a hint as to whether it's the drive/file system or the memory/mainboard, etc....

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 11:13:52 pm »
I do have one but I can't recall what the deal is with it. It's older. I guess I try to see if the cloned drive would boot up in that one.

It can't be drive though. The Drive is IDE. The CD is SATA. I've already swapped memory ( however this is Mushkin which often has some specific settings or it won;t work correctly ). I still need to look up notes on that first. I think I have it written down somewhere.

The strange thing is it just grinds away like ti really wants to run for both the hard drive and CD but then just craps out at the end.

I can't recall off the top of my head. Can I try booting off the secondary IDE controller and leave the primary open?

There's nothing on the secondary. Everything else is on SATA.

Gone

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 11:43:18 pm »
I don't think Windows will boot off that drive if you swap it into another PC. If you can access the drive, though, you can copy off the email database, etc.

Can you get as far as being able to boot it in safe mode/command prompt? (F8 as it tries to boot) - you might be able to use Recovery Console

If it isn't booting from the setup CD, mind, it's a bit messed up  :-\

Andy

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:31 pm »
If you know your way around Linux, worse case you can use a live CD or USB bootable version to get access to the files and copy them off.

Linux also has a built-in tool which can be used to clone an partition (of any type) or even a full drive. Might be too late for that now, however.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App