Author Topic: Regularity of stumming patterns  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Chasecar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Regularity of stumming patterns
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »
is regularity always required, i.e. must the first and second measure always be equal to the third and fourth measures respectively?

Cant you just mix them up as long as you are in count?

I say that because I will try to recognize a strumming pattern for some songs and I would almost bet my life savings (about $250) that the pattern in the first chorus (for example) isnt the same as it is in the second chorus even though everything else is the same. 

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: Regularity of stumming patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:24:16 pm »
Cant you just mix them up as long as you are in count?
Yep. The important thing is to play the rhythm of the song and to make it sound good. Period.

Btw: consistent, always-the-same strum patterns are actually a very, very, very rare exceptions in professional guitar playing - that would just be really boring. The longer you play, the more you simply improvise the strumming on the fly. A strum pattern is a good place to start, but not to remain.

Offline Chasecar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »
@ jacksroadhouse
Outstanding.  I can feel that strum by the seat of your pants thing coming on and I wanted to make sure i was getting off track.  

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:23:19 am by close2u »

Offline oldhippy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:18:52 pm »
Hi all
Stumbled across this posting just wanted to say, what super advice.
My patterns are never consistant and I thought it was a flaw in my  (ha ha) playing.
Now can really enjoy strumming without the little voice in my head saying " do in it wrong Dude".
Great post.
Mike

Get The Forum As A Mobile App