Author Topic: Types of pick up <EDIT> combinations - any good comparison ?  (Read 1045 times)

StarvingMusician

Types of pick up <EDIT> combinations - any good comparison ?
« on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:45 am »
I chose an HH because that is what most websites/forums seem to recommend for rock, metal and such. What really is the difference between these HH, HSH, SSS pickups ? I have managed to find only vague answers like the tone is "fatter" besides the problem of "hum" in S. Is there any video (with sound) that shows the differences and what "fatter" actually sounds like ?

I listen to various kinds of music. So, i will be playing a mix of blues, jazz, metal, pop etc. What would be the best config for me ? Its a little late to ask the question. But it will help me when i "outgrow" my beginner guitar and get a new one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:13:23 am by StarvingMusician »

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
Re: Types of pick ups - any good comparison ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:34 pm »
- first of all, I had to move this topic to "pickups"

- second: there are no "HSH" or "HH" or "SSS" pickups, only combinations of putting Humbuckers (H) and Single coils (S) in one guitar. So if you are not confused and you meant to say that, please stop confusing other members. Try to formulate your questions as punctual, transparent and clear as possible.

- This forum is filled with humbucker vs single coil questions. We can't tell you what the best config *for you* is, especially when to try to cover all those bases. you could try a HSS setup; 1 humbucker and 2 single coils. even so... a SSS would work too. The essential thing here is get to know the charachter of both types and to figure out what you like most.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App