Author Topic: I'm Planning On Changing To This Set Of Pickup. Any Other Suggestions?  (Read 4043 times)

Jimmy25

On my Fender 57 Reissue Stratocaster MIJ Since 1993, it has all the original pickups that's supposed be on this model. The pickups has never been changed. Personally, I figured I like the clean tone on position 5 (neck pickup), and most of the time when I play I would stick with that position or sometimes I would change to position 3, or position 4 in between (BTW my position 3 & 5 sounds similar.. I could barely tell the difference.. is it just me, or maybe it's my ear XD). Position 1 (bridge pickup), I don't use it quite often, personally, I don't like it when too much twangy sound goes into my ear. However, my point is, I've heard good things about Japan made guitars, and I do love everything about my guitar, except the pickups aren't the best qualities, and now that I've played it, I agree the pickups could be better.

1) First of all, just out of curiosity, on a Fender Strat, which pickup position do you guys prefer / use the most often?

2) When it comes to pickups, is it any good to get a second-handed pickup?

3) It's great that I already got a clean tone I love with the neck pickup, but still, I sometimes play songs that needs a really rock tone with distortion as well, as in "distortion", almost metal distortion I'd say. And I thought it would be nice if I could play a really clean tone on position 5 and as well as great distortion on position 1 with the humbucker. Besides, that would get rid of the twangy sound single-coil on position 1 now which I personally don't use so often, and gives me another position to use a lot when it comes to rock songs. Single-coil pickup buzz so loud when it comes to distortion.. whereas a humbucker should be no buzz and good for distortion I'd say? With that said, what would be a good humbucker pickup (fit-able & replace-able on single-coil size) you guys would suggest when it comes to distortion? and what would be the price? (btw. I live in Bangkok. it would be great if it's order-able from internet and ship-able. Or it's not worth it? maybe it's cheaper if I could go around my area and look for it?)

At the moment, I'm looking at Seymour Duncan Pickup For Strats :
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/

As in what type of distortion tone I'm trying to get...
these songs would be some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbjYLNxCwZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2fz_zBNl80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlS_kmxES0
OR distortion that would sound sth like this in solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dNxshHlp4w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7APvKpmcg

I understand some of these they use pedals,
and it depends on the guitar as well,
I'm just trying to give an idea that
I'm looking for sound that's "something/similar like this".

Any idea which specific Seymour Duncan Pickup would make sth similar to this distortion tone I'm trying to get?
Or perhaps DiMarzio Pickups which I've also heard good things about? or any other suggestions?

That's All Guys! Any Reply Would Be Highly Appreciated. THANK YOU.=D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:00:01 am by Jimmy25 »

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: I'm Planning On Changing To This Set Of Pickup. Any Other Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:08:57 pm »
1) that depends on the guitar, but it's relatively simple to check : unscrew the scratchplate (not the pickups! just the scratchplate itself, so just the screws on the outer edge) and check the size of the cavities under the pickups.
If they are big enough for a humbucker then replacing it can be as simple as either making the hole bigger on the current scratchplate, or replacing the entire plate for one with a humbucker sized hole in the bridge.
If they're not big enough, the body would have to be routed, which will cost you a bit, or you could go for a single coil sized humbucker... But that will severely limit your choice in pickups.

2) You can replace any pickup for another, you could leave the neck and middle for instance and replace just the bridge if you wanted to.

3) Humbuckers don't eliminate ALL noise, especially when used in a high gain setting, ANY pickup will have at least a little noise.
As for suggestions, it's easier if we know some of your musical influences, what kind of music you'll be playing exactly, and what kind of sound it is you are after.
Without that info it'll be guesswork.

4) That would depend on the skill of the person who previously owned the pickup.
If he (or she) properly desoldered it there is no reason not to buy second hand, if on the otherhand the pickup was rather unceremoniously ripped out by force, well...
Let's say pickups can break too, if handled improperly.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 213
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »
The other thought for the noise problem is maybe a noise gate might help you out.

Cheers,

Keith

Jimmy25

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »
ADMIN EDIT: This post was a doublepost which had replies; the topics were merged

I'm planning on changing my "Fender 57 Reissue Stratocaster Made In Japan Since 1993" 's original pickup to something that has:
- More dynamic, more punchy, fatter and fuller solid tone.
- Medium output, not too low that it sounds a bit lifeless and not too high that it starts to hurt my ears.
- For more versatile style of music from playing clean blues, funk, jazz, to rock with overdrive/distortion.
- Hum canceling / noiseless (single coil sized humbuckers).
- Should still sound like a strat if you know what I mean.

At the moment, I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan pickup set that's called "Everything Axe" which included in the set are a JB Jr. for the bridge with Duckbucker in the middle, and a Little '59 for the neck. What do you guys think? Anyone who used this set or one of these pickup before and got some reviews / comments on it?

BTW. What's a reliable online site that sell pickup at a good price and ship internationally? Is Musician's Friend a good one?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:31:53 pm by LievenDV »

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:37:45 pm »

You'd be swapping 3 single coils for 3 humbuckers. In particular:

For the bridge position there's the SJBJ-1b JB Jr.™ a single coil-size version of our popular JB™ humbucker, loved for its high output, rich harmonics, [...]

[...] Recommended for the neck position is the SL59-1n Little '59™, which gives the warm, fat tone of a vintage P.A.F. humbucker.

Does not describe noted Strat characteristics. Then again, neither does your wishlist of characteristics. Perhaps you need a new guitar. :/

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:30:57 pm »

For the bridge position there's the SJBJ-1b JB Jr.™ a single coil-size version of our popular JB™ humbucker, loved for its high output, rich harmonics, [...]

[...] Recommended for the neck position is the SL59-1n Little '59™, which gives the warm, fat tone of a vintage P.A.F. humbucker.

Does not describe noted Strat characteristics. Then again, neither does your wishlist of characteristics. Perhaps you need a new guitar. :/

Won't sound anything like a Strat
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

steveo2

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »

Won't sound anything like a Strat
I offer to trade you something  for that Guitar LOL

You have too learn the hard way.
 I but a Hot RAIL in the back or rear end of a strat, played more metal.
I think you should trade it to me or leave it alone.

Player want a Strat to sound like a PRS or they have PRS but wish it sounded like a Les Paul.

You could get a loaded pick guard with nice pick, up for about 300 US.

Peace

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:21:08 am »
Having heard the examples, you should go ahead with the Seymour Duncan set. Regardless of what you say, you really don't want the Strat sound. It doesn't appear on any of those tracks.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:07:52 am »
Regardless of what you say, you really don't want the Strat sound. It doesn't appear on any of those tracks.

+1

I agree with Steveo and and Mumbles.
I would find a guitar that sounds more like a Les Paul and leave the Strat alone.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:28:43 am by Scooter Trash »
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

steveo2

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:13:04 pm »
Regardless of what you say, you really don't want the Strat sound. It doesn't appear on any of those tracks.

+1

I agree with Steveo and and Mumbles.
I would find a guitar that sounds more like a Les Paul and leave the Strat alone.
Steveo says tradeo himo the starto.
One I did not look at all your clips.
I did see Viking Kong and yes I can play it.
People are insane, Too understand insanity one must look at it as insanity as doing the same thing but expecting different results .
I have nice Strats and Les Paul with the high gain of amps and effect boxes the difference in a single coil and a hummingbucker , yeah made that word up but it is small one is louder and fatter the biggest being louder,and one has less hum too.

Look at the name of the man Paul Gilbert want to play with what pock-up does he use.
I have a old Karmer that would get that fat tone , it could be yours LOL
It old and I think I have a bag of pick-ups in the case when I was always trying what another fool told me to try.

Tone is in your fingers and amp more than anything else, wantz in your head not sure maybe to much advise from too many source's. ;D

Best advise trade or sell it and find something you love and love it :o

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »
Steveo - statistically, arranged marriages last longer than freely selected ones - maybe the OP just needs to learn to love the one he is with.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

steveo2

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 02:34:57 am »
Steveo - statistically, arranged marriages last longer than freely selected ones - maybe the OP just needs to learn to love the one he is with.
I have two Tele's that are Japs, one is a custom shop Jap custom.

I have messed up guitars changing pick-ups and other stuff.
I don't think that it high gain you can really tell too much difference other than the things already stated.
I other words with your eye shut and no guitar in hand few humans could talk single coil or Humbucker .

Plus I am right about the tone thing, when I was younger and pretty much gigged with One electric I had a hot rail ias may back pock up I think it's in the Pock-up bag with that old Kramer USA made  ;D
Original Floyd Rose, Maybe they make them cheaper now but this is an old guitar as well.
It was messed up I sold it 20 years ago and found it again and bought it back.
It was the first new Electric, great metal playing guitar LOL.

Pretty set with Starts but would hate to see the OP sand it or re -work it but it is his.
Peace

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »
For once, i agree with steveo (and the others); it looks like jimmy isn't looking for a Strat sound, but a Les Paul sound, which he won't get from that Fender, no matter how many humbuckers he puts in it.
I'd say sell the guitar or trade it for a Les Paul of equal value.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »
For once, i agree with steveo (and the others);

It's like we are all of bunch of happy little bunny rabbits running around in a field of marshmallows, rainbows, and fresh carrots. ... ... ... .... ....  ??? ... ... ....  ....   or something like that........

However I agree too....

Why on earth would you buy a Strat that is by all accounts an affordable quality copy of the original Strats, a scale length and neck radius that is conducive to rhythm and blues, and then before you even get to play it you want it to be a metal oriented guitar? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

That's like buying a Corvette and the first thing you want to do when you get it home is set it up for off road use and hauling a trailer.

The entire thing, and not just the pickups, is all wrong for the intended use.

Just buy a POD. VAmp,  or something similar and leave the guitar alone. That way you get everything you want for $100 an don't ruin a perfectly good guitar.

Gone

steveo2

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:37:53 pm »
For once, i agree with steveo (and the others); it looks like jimmy isn't looking for a Strat sound, but a Les Paul sound, which he won't get from that Fender, no matter how many humbuckers he puts in it.
I'd say sell the guitar or trade it for a Les Paul of equal value.
Yeah I think it's more than once.
I would love to make a deal before he take sand paper to it. ;D
No you can't have my Les Paul. :o

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 12:01:33 am »

LOL

Gone

steveo2

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:32:38 am »

LOL

Yeah TB advise is sound, Dan will hate the pod advise as well but they sound better good to me, I have 3, maybe sweeten the pot for the trade. ;D
I really could play licks and someone would having a better chance of kissing there own butt before they tell me what kind of guitar I am playing

julienarrijs

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:40 am »
you could get dimarzio pup's like yngwie malmsteen,

have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKsgKvbCtE

btw thanks for that paul gilbert viking kong link, i had fun watching it :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:23:05 am by julienarrijs »

steveo2

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:37 pm »

have a look at this

WOw I had no Idea that if I purchased only the right pick-up I will sound like Yngwie Malmsteen .
Stupid me I been playing Scales, Modes and  Arpeggios when all I needed was the right pick-ups.
OMG
Why has this wisdom eluded me, could have save hours all I need was pick-ups.

julienarrijs

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »

have a look at this

WOw I had no Idea that if I purchased only the right pick-up I will sound like Yngwie Malmsteen .
Stupid me I been playing Scales, Modes and  Arpeggios when all I needed was the right pick-ups.
OMG

dude chill out, i was just pointing out the fact that some guys have a shred sound on fender strats.
i didn't in any way say that pup would get you someone else's tone and where did i suggest that pups would turn someone into a good player ??
i'm a jazz player mainly, been attending jazz school, was in the school combo and stuff, so you don't need to lecture me about theory buddy....there's no harm in caring about guitar specs and having fun with pups, not everything has to turn around playing and theory and being a good player.

steveo2

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 06:49:12 pm »
In school you get to know a bit about people the Op and others are under the impression that you need this, to get certain tones.
We see this in the forum here often not just by the OP but very often.
These effects and amps, even pickups can give you somethings, you. me should focus as well as the Op on getting good tone from your fingers and work , talent, technique.
This is not the Op first post so it is really steered at him more than the general, but it seems it is still a problem.

Each week it a different topic , John Mayer get his tone from these pick-up and this amp, when in reality John is like me and everybody else who can play, he get his tone from his fingers the only reason he and others may say different is they are paid to do so, or can afford some really nice gear and pay someone to carry it around for them.
 There a fool reading another clip somewhere thinking when I get the Money to buy that 62 Strat and that Vintage amp this will make my sound.
It may complete it, enhance it ,what a Wah-Wah pedal alone can do for the soul is worth far more than the cost of the devise.
If you have ears you should hear this, this meaning the truth.
Truth has a certain ring in your ears, like good advise and tone ,each person perception of if is different.
The advise of not wasting money when need a good amp and have a good guitar already should stand on it's own merits.

I have some of these amps and there nice but I make my sound.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 213
    • My Road Case
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »
Stupid me I been playing Scales, Modes and  Arpeggios when all I needed was the right pick-ups.
OMG

Steveo,
We've had our disagreements in the past, but I have to give you some applause for this. I think you are spot on! With the exception (maybe) of his cheap low-end amp, I think the OP would be far better off refining his technique and developing his own sound than worrying about, and trying to pigeon-hole, kit.

Cheers,

Keith

Jimmy25

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 08:45:36 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate them! I was taking a closer look at the demo of "Seymour Duncan Everything Axe" set ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMo0JW7wI8 ). After listening for a while, now I do agree if I switch them into my strat, my strat wouldn't sound anything like a strat anymore, and that would be pointless and defeat the purpose of buying a strat in the first place. It's probably better if I buy another electric guitar for more rock distortion style when I save up enough money in the future. So I could have two electric guitar to choose from when playing different styles of music, and not mess up my strat.

After doing more research on other different brands of pickup, I came across Lindy Fralin's pickup. And was thinking of the "Split-Blade Blues Output" set, then a friend of mine who's a guitarist as well (he plays blues) suggested that no matter what hum-bucking pickup will get you no hum but it's just going to suck the sound of a strat. And so he recommended the "Lindy Fralin Blues Special" set. And I'm probably going with his suggestion. My question is:

1) Personally I still don't like the buzzing noise, but I'm going with single coil pickup so I don't lose the sound of a strat. However, I heard there's sth like "shielding" or sth... that could decrease the buzzing of a normal single-coil pickup by a lot? In other words, is there some ways to make a single-coil pickup buzz less?

2) Anyone has experience with "Lindy Fralin Blues Special"? How does it compare to "Fender Texas Special"?

3) I saw on Lindy Fralin's official website, there's an option to add in Base plate and Blender Pot, I don't quite understand what's that for?

4) My guitarist friend said that if I buy the Lindy Fralin blues special, the middle pickup is reverse wound. So no matter how bad the amp is, in 2 & 4 position there won't be a hum. The reverse wound will act like a humbucker pickup, and still sound like a strat? I don't quite understand what's a "reverse wound"...?

BTW. Some of you probably know from my previous thread that I use a Roland Micro Cube Amp at home which is just for practicing and traveling, and I understand with a cube amp I won't be able to tell the difference after changing the pickup. BUT, I do jam with my band mates almost everyday at school where there is Marshall tube amp. So, it does make a difference if I change my pickup.

steveo2

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »
I use Texas specials in may guitar they are bright and have what I call more air.
I also get a too play A real Fender Hendrix which has some kind of reverse pock up , can't tell and I have good ears.
I also remember the Op just got the Cube and it is considered a cheap amp, I did not say it was bad.
Cheap can be good.
I have duncans in some other guitars One strat and one tele the tele has had extra wire added, make it louder.
Again I wish one well , if metal is more your style I can hook you up LOL with a guiar and some extra pock-up to boot.

It hard to say you post blues player and ask how to get that tone , them metal and ask the same.

By school you must be younger than 25 , so just play the guitar Jimmy, get a wah wah and express your, who do yoy think you are  yeah that;s a song too :D
Coffee ready time to lick it up ;D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 02:16:35 pm »
It you absolutely want pickups that don;t hum and sound like a Strat get a set of Kinmans.

All normal vintage style single coil pickups hum. Generally speaking that hum gets hidden in the noise floor so it's not really heard when you are playing. If the hum and noise is louder than that, then it's not your pickups, it's your electrical environment to include power source, power quality, grounding, shielding, and finally your physical orientation of guitar to amp ( turn guitar 90deg to amp ).

Yes, Lindy makes good pickups. Your pickups are good too.

Listen to the 0:33 mark. Notice the buzzing. Robin has all the custom stuff you can get and his still hums and buzzes. ,,, and he's got his volume dialed down. Again at the 2:02 mark. Then at 2:07 and then you can really hear it at 2:35 thru 2:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Hwe24t0rc&feature=related
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App