Author Topic: BS-502 • Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash  (Read 18745 times)

Offline Rowly

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BS-502 • Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »
Hello folks,
I am struggling to keep the High E (1st string) free when using my thumb to mute the Low E (6th).  It keeps getting muted by the fleshy pad on my palm at he base of my index.  I can't seem to find a finger position that avoids it.
Whilst I have fairly big hands I have shortish thumbs.
Do I just live with it?  Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?
Rowly

Offline bluemusicnut

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:42 pm »
When Justin play the A chord he mutes the e string with his left thumb.  but when he plays B7 he mutes with his middle finger.  Is there any reason not to mute the e string with the thumb for both chords?

thank you,

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »
You can mute the E string what ever way is easiest for you. If the thumb works best then use your thumb.
I very seldom mute strings when I was first learning accuracy with the picking hand was taught over muting

Offline leb1996

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 12:23:27 pm »
Hey guys! I'm pretty much getting the basic alternate bass picking down. But what I'm having trouble understanding is the purpose of muting. For example, when I hit the 5th I'm muting the 6th. But I'm not hitting the 6th? I am hitting the 5th. So why would I mute a string I'm not hitting? He says it "defines the bass" which I can hear when he play, but I don't understand how if I am muting a string that is not being hit.  Thanks and sorry to post on a forum that hasn't been hit up in a while!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
You don't need to mute strings if you are accurate and miss the E string. I personally almost never
find the need to mute the E string. Like you I just don't hit it when it's not needed.

There are times that you may need to mute the E string so it is a good thing to learn.
But I think accuracy is a more important skill and you seem to have mastered that.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 11:27:25 pm »
But what I'm having trouble understanding is the purpose of muting. For example, when I hit the 5th I'm muting the 6th. But I'm not hitting the 6th? I am hitting the 5th. So why would I mute a string I'm not hitting? He says it "defines the bass" which I can hear when he play, but I don't understand how if I am muting a string that is not being hit.

I think what he's going for is really necessary for open strings.  Think of it this way, you play the E chord with the bass note on the open E string, then you play the bass note on the A string 2nd fret. The problem is that the open E string is still ringing which muddies up the sound of the new bass note on the A string. However, if you mute the E string when you alternate the bass note to the A string you solve the problem. Similarly, for the other chords. With some of them though, what you get is more separation in pitch between the bass note and the treble strings (i.e. the boom is separate from the chick-a).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:05:39 am by SiegeFrog »
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline leb1996

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 11:33:38 pm »
Thank you both so much! That was super informative and helpful. Both of your answers made a lot of sense. I just wanted to understand it before I was just mindlessly learning something. Thanks a ton!

Offline randomlock

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 05:49:43 pm »
Hello . For Boom chika strumming , when up strumming do i just hit the thinnest string ( high E) or just like i normally do up strumming hitting 3-4 string  ?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 06:51:11 pm »
You can do either or both which ever sounds better to you.

Offline Badger_5

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »
Hi all. Sorry if this is already covered in the thread, but I've read through and I'm still not certain. Just to clarify when it comes to the bass note and strum:
  • With the E-chord I hit the 6th string and then strum the lighter strings; and
  • With the A-chord and B7 I hit the 5th string and then strum the lighter strings?

Offline JetCityCobra

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • No time like the present
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 06:55:27 am »
Hi all. Sorry if this is already covered in the thread, but I've read through and I'm still not certain. Just to clarify when it comes to the bass note and strum:
  • With the E-chord I hit the 6th string and then strum the lighter strings; and
  • With the A-chord and B7 I hit the 5th string and then strum the lighter strings?

That's right!  With the E chord, the Root of the chord is the E string, so hitting that by itself anchors the down, up.  On the B7 chord since you're muting the E string, the Root of B7 is B; which is the 2nd fret of the 5th string. (If you use a capo, nothing changes in the way you play it)

Hope that clears things up for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Breedlove Oregon Concert CE Sitka Spruce - Myrtlewood
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Seagull Coastline S12 Acoustic
Epiphone LP Special
Fender T-Bucket 400 Acoustic Electric

Offline Badger_5

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 08:40:52 pm »
That's right!  With the E chord, the Root of the chord is the E string, so hitting that by itself anchors the down, up.  On the B7 chord since you're muting the E string, the Root of B7 is B; which is the 2nd fret of the 5th string. (If you use a capo, nothing changes in the way you play it)

Hope that clears things up for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, thank you!  :D

As an aside - I've grown accustomed to playing the A-chord with the three finger semi-barre, as I find it hard to play with the three finger configuration that's first taught on the beginners course. However, this doesn't work so well when muting the E-string at the same time.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Offline Timc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2018, 08:43:00 pm »
Hello, not sure if thread resurrection or new topic is the preferred approach, so please forgive the bump.

Having been trying to get this strumming pattern right for ages (a couple of weeks, feels like years) and so I decided to leave it and instead have a go at the Dario Cortese electric part Justin mentions. Weirdly something just really clicked despite my initially thinking "oh no, this is even worse".

I think it's the combination of the 3 string muted riff with pick-down-up-up-down pattern at one point in the solo; just working on that, perhaps focused on fewer strings, and the clouds suddenly parted.

If anyone else is stuck, give it a go!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App