Author Topic: BS-502 • Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash  (Read 21656 times)

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
Re: BS-502 • Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 02:03:03 pm »
... when playing B7 are you using the middle finger to mute the 6th when playing the 5th?
Yep!

When I watch the vid it looks like Justin is playing alternate notes on the 5th then 6th, reason I say this is because he could do the same as the E chord & use his thumb to mute the 6th instead of his middle finger.
He might be accidentally hitting the muted 6th when hunting for the 5th.

Also does anybody else find the capo gets in the way when playing the B7? I use my middle finger as the anchor & "swing" my other fingers into place but find the capo hits my first finger upper nuckle
I sometimes move the capo further away from the fret (closer to the nut) if it gets in the way.

HTH
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »
I feel this strumming is a bit too advanced for me for some reason, or perhaps I'm just not into it; I really don't get it because I get the push in Mr. Jones. I get the concept of the triplet and these 7th chords are easy. I've moved on to the next stage because I don't have the blues in my soul. I feel much more comfortable with the big F bar chord and working toward songs and styles that make me feel good. I figure that I'll live with this. I may not be able to continue if I force myself into the blues, my life is the blues right now; I need Pollyanna feel good music and strumming patterns that are slower and consistent with my beginner ability. I just don't identify with any of the stage 5 songs in the videos and need the extra help offered by that format, for me it may be better to move on to stage 6, the big F, ties, and songs that I love. It's either that or I have to wallow in self pity as I contemplate quitting and turn this thing I was loving into drudgery.
I have to do what I can and not worry right now about what I can't.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:02:42 am by Lucky Tim »

Offline Bobke

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Belgium
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 03:29:30 pm »
..... I just don't identify with any of the stage 5 songs in the videos and need the extra help offered by that format, for me it may be better to move on to stage 6, the big F, ties, and songs that I love. It's either that or I have to wallow in self pity as I contemplate quitting and turn this thing I was loving into drudgery.
I have to do what I can and not worry right now about what I can't.

Hereby you are officially licenced to move to stage 6 and higher!  8)
Be lucky again, Lucky Tim.  ;)

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 03:58:50 pm »
Or you could search for songs using the same chords, but that are more to your taste. Try Searchbychords.com - http://www.searchbychords.com/ According to them, Bill Haley's Shake, Rattle and Roll, which is a fairly cheerful ditty, uses A7,D7 & E7 - and there's a lot of other songs that do as well.

Offline OzzieDave

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 06:43:09 pm »
Lucky Tim
From what Im reading you 'got the blues' so what better time to do some self interpritation of these songs.
I currently also have a very major reason to be blue and find that I can gain 'release' by playing these songs really free styling the strum patterns and cranking the amp(I even sing :-[) And this seems to help clear my system and lets me get on with life. Good luck and stay well  :)
It's never to late to have a happy childhood!

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »
Thanks for the help, really good suggestions.
Lucky Tim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:04:01 pm by Lucky Tim »

Offline slimeyflux

• Good Vibes 0
  • im 45 years old i feel it is possible woop woop
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 10:46:47 am »
Hi my first post
im 45 years old this site gives impression i really can do this,, ok so on the strumming here is he hitting the base note on the 1 strum down and the third. ie
base1
 light string 2
and up
base 3
light strings 4
and round again to base 1
hope that makes sense

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 11:45:01 am »
I think what you want is Bass note, down, and up.  Check out this page...

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-175-RhythmBasics5.php

...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Pete83

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 01:29:27 pm »
Jesus! The barre chords are a walk in the park compared to this bum chicka thing. When i do it it sounds like a complete mess

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »
You MUST start painfully slowly, and do it for a LONG time. Like, for 3 minutes straight (ie an entire song's worth). Stay as loose and relaxed as you can. You must use a metronome.  You want the motion to become completely second nature. Slowly increase the BPM. If you are doing it at a speed where you are not completely relaxed, but it sounds good, stay at that speed until you can do it relaxed for a good 3 minutes before you bump up the speed. Explicitly relax yourself mentally.

IMO the "boom chicka" strumming is one of the hardest things to learn. I've seen guys that can shred the whole neck up and down and can't do this right because it takes so much patience and practice.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline thisisnotaname

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 03:26:30 pm »
Here's my question:
After he plays the 6th and 5th strings, he says "then play the thinner strings" but he doesn't actually say which ones. So for E, do I hit the 6th string, and then strum the 5th through 1st, or do I skip the 5th string this time, and only play it when I hit it by itself, followed by strumming 4th through 1st? I'm wondering about this for each of the chords used. Just so this is clear, I'll make a tab and hope it comes out right.
So do I basically play:

--0-0-----0-0
--0-0-----0-0
--1-1-----1-1
--2-------2----
--2----2------
0- ---------

or

--0-0-----0-0
--0-0-----0-0
--1-1-----1-1
--2-------2----
-------2------
0- ---------

And likewise for A and B7.

I'm leaning toward thinking that he skips the 5th string when playing the 6th, but then it would no longer be an E, A, and B7, and I would think he would mention that.

Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »
I'm leaning toward thinking that he skips the 5th string when playing the 6th,
This gives you a more defined bass note by only playing the E then the B the next time. You can play
just the 123 strings or the 1234 strings after, which every you think sounds better.

but then it would no longer be an E, A, and B7, and I would think he would mention that.

What make the chords is three notes For E it's E G# B By alternating the bass note you are still playing
the notes E G# and B so your still playing an E Chord same with the other two chords but the B has
a 7 but I don't think your ready for a bunch of theory at this point and theory isn't my strong suit.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 04:29:43 am »
Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Playing the alternating bass in folk/country is very popular if that is what you are asking. You can get by without it. Some will ask it of you. Others will demand it.

So it's low string note then strum, next lower string note, then strum.. repeat.

---0-----0------------
0-----0----------------

chords in between those notes.
Gone

Offline thisisnotaname

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
I'm leaning toward thinking that he skips the 5th string when playing the 6th,
This gives you a more defined bass note by only playing the E then the B the next time. You can play
just the 123 strings or the 1234 strings after, which every you think sounds better.

but then it would no longer be an E, A, and B7, and I would think he would mention that.

What make the chords is three notes For E it's E G# B By alternating the bass note you are still playing
the notes E G# and B so your still playing an E Chord same with the other two chords but the B has
a 7 but I don't think your ready for a bunch of theory at this point and theory isn't my strong suit.
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Offline Publius

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 05:55:59 pm »
I am on the consolidation phase of the beginner's course and am working my way back through the songbook. 

I play an electric and I struggled mightily with Justin's strumming instructions.  I then switched over to Dario Cortese's lesson for electrics and things almost immediately fell into place for me.

I don't know if it's an issue of not having a softer pick or whether strumming is just fundamentally different on an acoustic as opposed to an electric.   

Get The Forum As A Mobile App