Author Topic: BS-502 • Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash  (Read 20525 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:11:48 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: BS-502 • Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »
The songbook says capo 1:st fret, altough you didn't mention it or use it in the video`?

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »

Theres no way i'm gonna i'll be able to pick ,n strum that fast :'(

:)

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:03:09 pm »
Giving up already? Where's your pride? Where's your sense of adventure?

Seriously, today's impossible is often tomorrows yawn (well, maybe not yawning here, but still). So keep at it, nice and slow, and before you know you'll be there. You might want to start without the up-stroke (that can be the killer at this speed), and take it from there.

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:39:30 pm »
 >:( i never give up you crazy fool ;)
 i know what to do jack ,but i've got the beginers prob of ,i want it now.
 Plus i'm trying to learn to many songs at once
   But thanks for your kick up the xx--xx :-*

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:19 pm »
The songbook says capo 1:st fret, altough you didn't mention it or use it in the video`?

For what it's worth... I found I could play along with the record (studio version) with the capo on the second fret.

...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:30 am »
Pretty sure I checked when we did the book and to play along with the most common recording it's capo on the 1st fret.

but Johnny played a lot different ways and if you check out several recordings you'll find some with the capo and some without.

if I remember right I just thought that was easier  to sing the song in open position.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline surlyguitar

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:23:24 pm »
The Beginner Songbook is wrong in terms of the number of bars it shows.   

On Justin's lesson he specifically says it is 8xE,4xA,4xE,4xB7,2xE - and this is what I hear when I listen to the song.

The songbook shows 4xE,2xA,2xE,2xB7,2xE.   The only part that has the correct number of bars is the Guitar Solo part.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »
My book shows the correct chords.
Gone

Offline surlyguitar

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:29:44 pm »
Must be fixed in the later printings.   Mine was from the first batch.

My book shows the correct chords.

tin

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
how to train the speed of the strumming :'( :'( i feel very tired of my muscle... :'( :'(

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:59 pm »
Practice.
Practice more.
Repeat.

And relax your arm and hand when you're playing. It's easy to cramp up when you're playing fast, but it's a very bad habit.

I feel your pain... learning "Hazard" in the acoustic version right now. Anyone got some steroids handy?

Offline watsonvillian

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55:23 am »
how to train the speed of the strumming :'( :'( i feel very tired of my muscle... :'( :'(

I feel your pain. I have been playing about five months now, and since the second week began learning the alternate bass strumming pattern. I began doing 8 bars...pausing..then going to another chord. Once I worked my way through the first verse of this song. Then I began reducing the bars played till I was on point with the album. This style takes a long time from what I have been told. I got Mel Bay's country guitar book that has some great exercises in it. Best thing is when you get one J. Cash song you can pretty much play them all except for some of the new stuff from American recordings, which uses a lot of strange timing. Anyways, I practice 2 hours a day. I am still working out my kinks, and have added bass runs to my rendition and the solo. You just gotta practice...and start slow and improve. That is all you can do.

juan pilas

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »
hello! first time post, although ive been online for about 6 months now, and I bought the songbook when I went back too the UK last month. So now Im back in Mexico with the website AND the book....awesome! Anyway, gotta love Johnny, so FPB was the first song I went to 6 months ago. (I actually started learning the guitar 20 years ago, w asn´t bad, but never graduated onto bar chords so set it aside for 12 (!) years before getting motivated again earlier this year. Anyways, I digress. What I want to talk about is that bloody B7 chord; I never learned it all those moons ago, and even now, 6 months later, I still cannot for the life of me make a smooth change. I find that chord a real xx--xx! Anybody else got the same problem? Cheers!

Offline Smith

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 10:42:35 am »
Hi all
I'm learning this song to help get my picking accuracy better & cos it's a cool song!
My question is the alternate bass & muting, when playing B7 are you using the middle finger to mute the 6th when playing the 5th?
When I watch the vid it looks like Justin is playing alternate notes on the 5th then 6th, reason I say this is because he could do the same as the E chord & use his thumb to mute the 6th instead of his middle finger.
Also does anybody else find the capo gets in the way when playing the B7? I use my middle finger as the anchor & "swing" my other fingers into place but find the capo hits my first finger upper nuckle
Cheers
smithy

Get The Forum As A Mobile App