Author Topic: Stage mic (vocals) - a couple of "Shure" questions  (Read 1470 times)

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Stage mic (vocals) - a couple of "Shure" questions
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:45:40 pm »
I'm about to buy a stage mic for vocals. (Nearly) everybody seems to agree for stage it should be a Shure SM58. Reading reviews, I came up with a couple of questions:

Some people say the SM57 is better for stage performance since it is less likely to pick up ambient sound (others say the exact opposite), but I also read, sound-wise it's not as good as the SM58. What's your experience?

I also read that the Shure Beta 58 A (or Beta 57 respectively) is supposedly a better choice today, since it's the more modern mic and produces a clearer sound while maintaining the near-indistructability of the SM58. Is that true? It's significantly more expensive, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate.

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Btw: I'm talking small solo acoustic gigs here, full band would surely be the exception.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Stage mic (vocals) - a couple of "Shure" questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:32:08 pm »
A. You get what you pay for.

B. Audix

C. Pick a mic that sounds good with your voice and instrument. Your voice and instrument are different than all others.

D.
(Nearly) everybody seems to agree for stage it should be a Shure SM58.
That's odd... is that what you see when you watch live acoustic shows?
Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »
Thanks, TB!

B. Audix
Which one do you use/recommend?

Pick a mic that sounds good with your voice and instrument. Your voice and instrument are different than all others.
That's part of my prob: I have no way of testing mics. I live in what we call a medium-sized German city and the only music store in reach is the size of my living room. Or maybe I should just buy 10 mics on the internet and send 9 of them back :)

That's odd... is that what you see when you watch live acoustic shows?
I wouldn't know :)) But after going through sth like a hundred customer reviews, tests and "how to gig" articles I came to this strange conclusion ;) Of course I'd be happy to buy sth better!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:14:24 pm »
Read the Audix web site and figure out which mics are most similar to your intended application.

Then ask around for people that have used both the Audix and Shure mics. Everyone has used a Shure 57 and 58 so if anyone is using the Audix they should have a good perspective.

Don't know the model numbers. Have not used them but have heard them in an acoustic setting 2 guitars, multi vocals, violin, etc.. Also know long time performing muso's that replaced their Shure stock with Audix.

Find an entertainer on youtube that you think sounds like you. what are they using live?

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:25:59 pm »
Thanks, TB, will do (as much as I can, don't know a single musician outside of this forum). I've just been to the Audix website and I love it: finally someone who just says what their products are good for.

There's just one thing: do you know about that 57 vs. 58 thing? Would a "normal" (as in 58) mic really pick up too much ambient noise or is that not really a problem (I play acoustic sitting down)?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »
Okay, just found several really good comparisons/shootouts on YT, that should make it a lot easier to decide between Shure and Audix and the different models.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:47:28 pm »
Wow, great stuff. Thanks!! I was looking for something like that to fill that blank space in my brain :) So the fog is lifting and i'm finally getting my mini-live-rig together.

Just watched a bunch of mic tests on YT. It's amazing how many people seem to think the most important thing about a mic is how many times you can run over it with your truck :))

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 07:26:02 pm »
Just watched a bunch of mic tests on YT. It's amazing how many people seem to think the most important thing about a mic is how many times you can run over it with your truck

Now you know why this happens.

(Nearly) everybody seems to agree for stage it should be a Shure SM58.

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:37:47 pm »
You have a point :) Not that bad though. May hide some of the flaws in my singing rather nicely :)

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
  • The Crown only fits my head hence I am King.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:52:27 am »
I am thinking of getting a Shure SM58 myself because I have heard lots of good things about this mic especially the indestructability factor. But I want a mic that has an on/off switch. Is the Shure SM58 S which has an on/off switch pretty much as good as the SM58 with also the same indestructability reputation? Or is this SM58 S a completely different animal to the SM58?
Gear:
Cole Clark FL2AC, Mini Maton EML/6, La Patrie Concert CW QI (classical guitar made by Godin), Fender Hau'oli (Tenor ukulele), Yamaha RBX-270-bass, Ibanez AEB10E-acoustic bass

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:57:23 am »
From what I read: yes and no. It's the same mic, but  a lot of people report trouble with the switch (mic turning off by itself, not turning on when told to). According to some reviews, this isn't exactly a Shure problem, but generally a built-in switch problem (that would be my experience, too).

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »
FWIW, you can use an in-line XLR attenuator or switch if you need a switch but IMO, it's best to stay away from switches.
Don't forget to consider your stage monitor situation when you select a mic. If you're using wedges; gain before feedback is an important consiteration. Beta58s give good gain. If you're using in-ear monitors it's not as important. I've mixed literally hundreds of live acts. 98% of the time I used 58s or beta 58s. The remaining 2% were usually 87s, Seneheizer 441s, or Beyer Dynamics.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 05:47:36 pm »
Thanks for the information. In the meantime I actually got both a 58 and a Beta 58A (among other things, medium-sized GAS attack again) and thus far (without actual road test) I'm really happy with them, particularly with the Beta. We're talking one-guy-vocals-and-acoustic-guitar here, maybe small pub gigs and the sort, so it's not terribly complicated andywa. And in my tests thus far both mics appeared really good in terms of feedback rejection. So: happy camper right now :)

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 07:44:16 am »
The SM58 gets it's reputation for toughness primarily from being the only mic that could take the workout that people like Roger Daltrey and Rod Stewart would put it through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUBTX9kKEo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEJpHfUCJHc

If you're not planning that kind of handling for it, most stage mics would be robust enough to travel with. The fragility you'd need to avoid is generally only found in studio mics these days but the distincyion between studio and stage mics wasn't quite as rigid when the SM58 was getting it's reputation.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App