Author Topic: Computer Help?? I'm being hacked by spammers using my email.  (Read 2780 times)

Offline old-and-in-the-way

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • That's what I heard him say
Re: Computer Help?? I'm being hacked by spammers using my email.
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »
You should keep in mind that with current technological breakthoughs in password cracking, using videocard GPU's (which have an amount of processing power that puts some older mainframe system supercomputers to shame)to crack passwords, anyone with the right software can crack even moderately difficult, fairly high entropy passwords.
They can do as much as a few million guesses a second (we're talking high end cards like the GTX 500 series), and the rate they are developing the software and making it work even faster is just insane.

The point of a high entropy password isn't absolute security -- it's to give you enough time to change it when things go wrong (eg, if a private ssh key gets "lost", a string passphrase gives you a couple of days to get the key revoked and a new one generated and installed; a weak passphrase doesn't give you the same time to breathe).

Similarly, passwords should be rotated every few months -- the idea being that by the time one has been cracked it's no longer useful.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »
I know the idea behind it, the problem is that with these new tricks to crack passwords...
The window between first attempt and succesfully cracking the password has been reduced from months or weeks, to days or hours depending on actual password strength.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 01:40:52 pm »
Passwords really aren't that big of a deal to remember if you're able to set them with spaces.
a simple 3 word password with spaces between the words will take several lifetimes to crack open.

Suggest you read this:

http://www.baekdal.com/insights/password-security-usability

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 05:10:14 pm »
Not to mention most web sites will lock you out after a few missed tries.

But having read that, I think I'll make my password shoo be doo be doo.

Oops,, just forget I said that.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App