Author Topic: Computer Help?? I'm being hacked by spammers using my email.  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
Re: Computer Help?? I'm being hacked by spammers using my email.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 03:13:21 pm »
I've found the best one out there is AVG.

If anyone replies to you saying about a spam e-mail just reply to them with an apology message, I guess you can't really stop a hacker unless you close your account or change the password.

My advice is Hotmail, and AVG. ;)

The most often hacked servers belong to microsoft.
Big name, big target.

As for AVG, it has been going down the rank in 'best avs' tests since 2007, right now it's on par with mcafee, which makes it close to useles.
And when i say best avs tests, i don't mean that xx--xx test those braindead morons at PCmag use, or those twits from techradar who can be 'bought' if you know what i mean.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline old-and-in-the-way

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • That's what I heard him say
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 03:57:43 pm »
2. Using your email password elsewhere - if your email password as a login on a website you shouldn't trust, this can be used to steal or derive your password in a number of ways

You shouldn't trust any website, and you should give them all a different password (and if you're really paranoid, a different username and email address too).

I mean, RockYou were trustworthy, on the surface at least, right?  They weren't out to scam you.  They were just incompetent, but that's all it takes to lose your email address and password.  The same applies to PSN -- it was an "honest" resource that still betrayed you through failure rather than malice.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 04:39:58 pm »
I mean, RockYou were trustworthy, on the surface at least, right?  They weren't out to scam you.  They were just incompetent, but that's all it takes to lose your email address and password.  The same applies to PSN -- it was an "honest" resource that still betrayed you through failure rather than malice.

Exactly!!

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:59 pm »
Personally, i have a different password for every account i use, i never re-use passwords, and they're all at least 10 characters long, preferably longer, and mixed letters, numbers and symbols like the dollar, pound and euro signs, and other odd symbols and characters, and even high ANSI characters if the system allows them.
I keep them all stored in my keepass 2 pro keychain that is on 2 flashdrives, one that never leaves my sight, the other stored where only i could find it, with a 3rd flashdrive storing a portable version of keepass 2 pro.
I use a 4th flashdrive that is disguised to look like something very mundane to store a keyfile that is needed, next to the database file and my 40 character password to access my password lists at any one time.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !  8)
--Henry Rollins

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 06:38:40 pm »
Personally, i have a different password for every account i use, i never re-use passwords, and they're all at least 10 characters long, preferably longer, and mixed letters, numbers and symbols like the dollar, pound and euro signs, and other odd symbols and characters, and even high ANSI characters if the system allows them.
I keep them all stored in my keepass 2 pro keychain that is on 2 flashdrives, one that never leaves my sight, the other stored where only i could find it, with a 3rd flashdrive storing a portable version of keepass 2 pro.
I use a 4th flashdrive that is disguised to look like something very mundane to store a keyfile that is needed, next to the database file and my 40 character password to access my password lists at any one time.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !  8)

Mine are in encrypted files stored on an encrypted USB stick that I don't even know the password for.

The password is stored in an innocent looking file somewhere, because steghide is my friend.  In order to get in, someone needs to get one physical device, one file and correctly guess the password I gave to steghide.

And then they need to decode the shorthand I used to encode the site/user information to make the passwords usable.

Do I get my paranoia badge?

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 06:51:48 pm »
You just graduated with flying colours from paranoia academy
And then some  :o
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 07:01:12 pm »
I used to have one password, then I had two or three. Then a spreadsheet. Then a pamphlet.

Finally I just painted a mural on the wall around the entire room. Now if I only had some idea as to what they are all for.
Gone

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 07:08:00 am »
I don't have too many passwords - maybe should adapt / amend what I use

update on the main issue - I don't think any spam has gone out since I change my email password

I'll come back if it does

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 11:57:47 am »
I have a password-protected spreadsheet (with a meaningless name) with a list of user names and passwords, but most of the passwords are just variations on 2 or 3.  I have changed my email password so that it isn't anything like any other password, but it seems I may not be paranoid enough.  I suppose if Firefox asks me if I want to save a password, I should say no.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »
I have a password-protected spreadsheet (with a meaningless name) with a list of user names and passwords, but most of the passwords are just variations on 2 or 3.

If your passwords are trivial variations on a few themes, why do you need to record them?  Mine are stored because they look like this (generated for this example -- neither length nor content should be considered a clue to any real password I use):

Code: [Select]
uT/pBdQZyF^%8m)$Ipf[kZ/uvLA'[email protected])Q&yuOAm9fAG:P2O=X
(And mostly protect things like ssh keys, gpg keys, plus root passwords for various servers, tripwire passphrases, plus the usual bank, ebay, paypal crap)

I suppose if Firefox asks me if I want to save a password, I should say no.

I'm tempted to say yes, but then I quite happily use ssh-agent and gpg-agent to store passphrases for my keys (for limited periods).  I think the difference is that I'm fairly happy to trust ssh-agent and gpg-agent not to leak passphrases, but have no confidence that firefox adequately protects cached secrets from rogue scripts.

Really, it's up to you to judge for yourself where the compromise between trust[0] and convenience lies.

•  Using the US DOD definition of "trust" -- a trusted component is any component whose failure will compromise the security of the whole system or words to that effect.

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:10 pm »
@ old-and-in-the-way.

There are enough variations to the passwords that I cannot remember which ones apply to which accounts, apart from the ones I use regularly.  And then there are the different user names.  In many cases it is my email address (which is why I don't use my email password as a password for anything else) but there are a lot of cases where it isn't. 

My passwords are not nearly as complicated as yours. 

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »
My passwords are not nearly as complicated as yours. 

Mine are only that complicated because of the things I protect with them.  My password for here, for example, is considerably simpler and quite memorable, so it's not written down anywhere -- I just memorised it.

For things where security is unimportant, I use the XKCD technique:

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 06:21:07 pm »
Mine ...  look like this
Code: [Select]
uT/pBdQZyF^%8m)$Ipf[kZ/uvLA'[email protected])Q&yuOAm9fAG:P2O=X

Jeez Louise!!!

i use the 1st technique ... oh dear !!

:)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:45:24 pm by close2u »

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »
I use the first technique too!  Looks like I will have to change all my passwords!

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »
You should keep in mind that with current technological breakthoughs in password cracking, using videocard GPU's (which have an amount of processing power that puts some older mainframe system supercomputers to shame)to crack passwords, anyone with the right software can crack even moderately difficult, fairly high entropy passwords.
They can do as much as a few million guesses a second (we're talking high end cards like the GTX 500 series), and the rate they are developing the software and making it work even faster is just insane.
--Henry Rollins

Get The Forum As A Mobile App