Author Topic: Computer Help?? I'm being hacked by spammers using my email.  (Read 2940 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
Computer Help?? I'm being hacked by spammers using my email.
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:48:46 am »
Twice now some spam email with links has been sent from my email account ... not just to email addresses in my contacts list either ... but to every email address in my inbox and sent folders.
The messages do not show up in my sent folder.
I have run virus scans and all the scan shows is tracking cookies which it clears up.

Help?

???

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
Re: Computer Help?? I'm being hacked by spammers using my email.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:36:23 am »
Join the club.

I get this sometimes too but since there's never anything in my outbox I've surmised that the e-mails are sent from another location and not actually from my computer.  Almost like there was a point in time where all the e-mail address on my lists were stolen.  I usually have the e-mails returned that are sent to now-defunct addresses.

I don't think there's a cure for this.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:41:40 am »
You're not using a Hotmail account are you?.......... I've had three people pester me this week over compromised Hotmail accounts.

I'd hazard a guess that your mail addy has been spoofed, but the fact that your address book and inbox addresses seem to have been used would suggest it's a little closer to home. Which scans have you performed?............ which is to say: Which software did you use to scan?

VenusBlue

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:08:15 am »
Just changing your password seems to remedy the problem often times.

Being an engineering student, I should try and design a product that stops spam mail and pop ups by tracing the IP and having an automated system where it automatically launches a SCUD missile at the office it's coming from. I think Nigeria would be gone in a week....

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:37:31 am »
Being an engineering student, I should try and design a product that stops spam mail and pop ups by tracing the IP and having an automated system where it automatically launches a SCUD missile at the office it's coming from. I think Nigeria would be gone in a week....

I'd support this.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
You're not using a Hotmail account are you?

No.
BT internet

Which scans have you performed?............ which is to say: Which software did you use to scan?

CrapCleaner (Ccleaner)

McAfee Full scan (the mcaffee comes as part of the BT package and is a free to cutomer product)

Just changing your password seems to remedy the problem often times.

I've just done that today ..

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:24:03 pm »
Mcafee is crap, even microsoft's free antivirus scores better.
Download Malwarebytes (free version), Microsoft Security Essentials (free), install, update and run both (not at the same time!)

If that doesn't solve it i'll gladly walk you through using HijackThis and some other stuff to get it all clean.
And shouldn't this be in the computer help subforums close ?  ;)
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:47:07 pm »
I'll follow that advice when I get home ... thanks...

And shouldn't this be in the computer help subforums close ?  ;)

Whoops.

:-[

now moved

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 03:58:29 pm »
If it doesn't work close, feel free to PM me with what it was the scans did find, and i'll respons ASAP (which might take a while because i'll be going to work in an hour, but i'll do my best to respond quickly).
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 06:32:23 pm »
@ Dan

I did both these downloads / scans on laptop and PC but both came back clean.

Still puzzled.

As I said, I've chenged my log in password to my email account ... so it might just be wait and see if it happens again.

Offline old-and-in-the-way

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • That's what I heard him say
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 11:44:47 pm »
There's probably an element of the horse having already bolted at work here.  The attackers appear to have wanted your contacts list, rather than access to your account, and this they seem to have.

They still have your contacts list (although they may be prevented from improving their knowledge in the future, assuming a weak password was their route in -- it may not have been) and can continue spamming them on your behalf.

Their reason for wanting your contacts is that people who regularly communicate with you are more likely to read an email that purportedly comes from you than they are mail from a stranger, even if it looks a bit spammy.  The attacker can still send mail as if they are you (btinternet is Yahoo in disguise, so they don't use the well established and widely deployed (but not widely enough deployed, sadly) SPF domain authentication scheme, preferring Yahoo's DKIM which almost nobody uses, so it's fairly unlikely that the mail would be flagged as suspect even if it originates from a Korean, Russian or Chinese server).

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:32 am »
@ old-and-in-the-way

thanks
I hope you're wrong
 :)
I don't know the technical stuff you mention but you would think they would opt for the best available

Offline old-and-in-the-way

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • That's what I heard him say
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »
Not really about the best available -- DKIM and SPF aim to do more or less the same thing, both only represent one half of a solution and are about as good as each other.  If anything, DKIM might be slightly better, while both are far too complicated.

As ever in the tech industry, it's a mixture of pride, politics and "not invented here".

Cozza

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 12:50:06 pm »
I've found the best one out there is AVG.

If anyone replies to you saying about a spam e-mail just reply to them with an apology message, I guess you can't really stop a hacker unless you close your account or change the password.

My advice is Hotmail, and AVG. ;)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 02:19:02 pm »
I know plenty of people who have been hacked on hotmail.

The biggest reasons (in no particular order) that hotmail/yahoo/gmail etc accounts get hacked are:

1. Badly chosen passwords - If a dictionary attack is conducted then it will pick up standard words or names, often even if you stick a number on the end

2. Using your email password elsewhere - if your email password as a login on a website you shouldn't trust, this can be used to steal or derive your password in a number of ways

3. Social engineering - Accounts which are associated with IM (e.g. hotmail and yahoo) are worst for this. It's very easy to get duped by an email or IM which leads to a login page on someone else's server. Emails saying things like "You have 3 new messages" which then direct to a page which looks like a hotmail/yahoo login page used to be very common. Also a lot of "social networking" websites encourage you to enter your hotmail/yahoo/gmail details to get at your contact lists. Most of these are honest, but many are not. Even the  supposedly trustworthy ones (like Bebo, WAYN and others) often use your contact lists to spam your contacts pretending to be you to try to get new users onto their site.

4. Trojans on your PC - although these are getting less common these days as virus/malware protection improves

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App