Author Topic: BL-201 • 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys  (Read 25086 times)

Offline JoostDekker

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BL-201 • 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2020, 01:41:16 pm »
I strained my thumb earlier this year practising a combination of this routine and the B flat barre chord. The problem of course is once you’ve stained something it hurts even when you try different hand positions. I had to stop playing these positions for the best part of a month. (I’m concentrating on fingerstyle at the moment so it wasn’t a problem).

My solution was exactly as stitch said in the earlier post. I’ve started holding the guitar neck higher on both my acoustic and electric. I realised that at times I was slouching over and sometimes the neck was below horizontal and my arm was resting on my leg resulting in terrible posture. That’s the problem with remote learning I suppose, there is no one to correct things that are so obviously wrong.
I'll check my position when I'm  back home. Something like that doesn't really get noticed when you're alone ;)
Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G955F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline nishalc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2020, 09:19:57 pm »
Hey, is anyone else having trouble with hand fatigue playing the 12 bar blues?

I can't make it through the 2 minute backing track all the way - been practicing like 10-15 minutes most days for about a month now (on video number 4 of this course).

Is this just a case of giving it more time and having my hand get used to it, or is there something potentially off with my technique?

Thanks

Online adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2020, 11:21:12 pm »
Hi nis, quick and simple - yes give it a bit more time. You could try to push yourself by slightly reducing breaks between takes and perhaps trying to play a bit longer once in a while - play 10 mins for whole week, but next week add another 1 on top, that should work. If you take a 2 min break between takes reduce those by 10s every two days, that way your mussles are getting stronger. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2020, 07:54:54 am »
In addition to the advice from adi, what is your body position / posture? What is your neck position / angle? Sitting down with a neck horizontal to the ground will make this more demanding. Angle the neck upwards, make sure your fretting arm elbow is out from your body. Stand if you can and get into the groove while you're at it.

Think of Status Quo playing 2-hour concerts!
:)

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2020, 08:42:31 am »
In addition to the above and maybe more for others, keep practicing those 12BBs. I find if I have not played them for many weeks, I find that my fingers start aching and I get forearm pump after a few minutes. Bit like running, if you run every day for 2 weeks, stop and come back a month or two later, your legs are not going to be happy! Worth baring in mind.

Cheers

Toby
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline nishalc

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2020, 09:34:43 pm »
Cheers guys, I mostly play standing and try to maintain a pretty good posture. Will keep at it!

Offline LeftyDave

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 11:16:09 pm »
Hey everyone,

I got into this lesson a bit ago and went off to take a break from the blues to look at some other genres. I'm back and after about a weeks worth of good practice, I'm still having wrist/forearm troubles.

- When I try to play this for the key of A and around it, everything is dandy.

- When I try to play the key of C for 6th root I-chord, 5th root IV & V, my wrist is getting pains as it is "pinching" behind the index due to the angle of my arm reaching that far to the side (this is for horizontal neck, neck pointing high up near my head, and everywhere in between)

- When I play thekey of C for only 6th string root, I find myself bending my wrist wayyyy to far forward on the F chord and having pain. Again, even when the guitar neck is "properly" pointing (almost completely) upward more so then horizontal, this still occurs.

Any advice for these particular problems? I'll note I have long arms as well in case that may be adding any challenge to this.

I appreciate any responses.
Squier Affinity Tele LH, "pumpkin" blonde
Seagull S6 Dreadnought LH
Fender Player Strat LH, Tidepool Blue

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2021, 08:07:46 am »
@LeftyDave
Sorry to hear of your playing pains.
As well as pointing the guitar so the neck is angled up, have you tried pushing the neck forward so that it angles further away from your body? There is a tendency to pull the neck towards us so that it is parallel with or running on an angle just behind the line of our shoulders. Instead, do the opposite, position it so that the angle goes away from your shoulders giving your long arms more room to move. Do you get my meaning? The very back of the body at the bridge end will be angling behind you and the headstock will be out in front of you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:25:44 am by close2u »

Offline LeftyDave

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2021, 03:42:07 am »
close2u,

thanks for the reply. I'm gonna try this tonight, out of curiosity, where should the guitar sit on you while standing? If you extended a line from the side of my body (fretting arm side) to out in front on me, it would hit around the 12th fret with how I wear the guitar (tele/strat). Should the guitar be more shifted to the side of my body (headstock further/closer) or is this about right?

Thanks.

Offline LeftyDave

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2021, 02:09:35 am »
Okay,

I've tried leaning the neck further away from my body and had good success with playing around the 12th and still retaining my ability to play around the 7th-4th. I still find myself heavily bending my wrist around the 3rd-1st. I can mostly make the finger stretch, but my wrist is getting extremely bent in the process. Any advice for this would help tremendously.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2021, 07:51:28 am »
Glad something has worked at least Lefty ... was that sitting or standing?
As to the 1st-3rd fret area, maybe just be aware that small adjustments to the neck angle, the body angle and the various planes in which you can push / pull the guitar can help, keep searching for the sweet spot and if you're playing open chords move to that, if playing further along the neck move to that etc.

Offline LeftyDave

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2021, 11:02:49 pm »
close2u,

This has been standing, I haven't had as much of an issue sitting with this but I play lead almost only standing, so I'm trying to make a good effort of playing rhythm standing as well.

So to be clear, are you trying to say that I should attempt to shift the neck position depending on what I'm playing? Just want to be clear before I start creating good/bad habits.

Thanks again for the help, means a lot!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App