Author Topic: BL-201 • 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys  (Read 20405 times)

Offline mklinger

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BL-201 • 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2020, 08:47:04 pm »
I notice I struggle to get the extra note with the pinky like in the lesson. I have to bend my wrist more as I get closer to the nut to compensate for lack of mobility (I've learned how bad it is to practice like that).  What exercises might be good to practice to start getting on the right track to playing like this?

Cheers.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2020, 11:47:03 pm »
Lift the neck of you guitar up on an angle instead of having it parallel to the floor.
If you're playing an electric use a strap even when sitting to keep the angle.

Offline mklinger

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 10:19:16 pm »
Oh man that makes so much sense to do it with the strap. I was wondering why it was easier on my acoustic (sitting down), makes sense since it's so much higher. Thank you very much! It will be easier to practice from here. I honestly think I might try to get an in person lesson some time because I need someone to take a look at my wrist while I'm playing  :-\. Thanks  :).

Offline JoostDekker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2020, 08:34:01 am »
Hi All

A question, I can only practice this 12 bar blues on the 6th string for a few minutes before my wrist is starting to hurt. I now have  wrist pain for several days. Not shooting pains more like muscle pain after running :)

What can I do to minimize this?

Regards Joost

Sent from my SM-G955F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2020, 11:53:17 am »
I strained my thumb earlier this year practising a combination of this routine and the B flat barre chord. The problem of course is once you’ve stained something it hurts even when you try different hand positions. I had to stop playing these positions for the best part of a month. (I’m concentrating on fingerstyle at the moment so it wasn’t a problem).

My solution was exactly as stitch said in the earlier post. I’ve started holding the guitar neck higher on both my acoustic and electric. I realised that at times I was slouching over and sometimes the neck was below horizontal and my arm was resting on my leg resulting in terrible posture. That’s the problem with remote learning I suppose, there is no one to correct things that are so obviously wrong.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline JoostDekker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2020, 01:41:16 pm »
I strained my thumb earlier this year practising a combination of this routine and the B flat barre chord. The problem of course is once you’ve stained something it hurts even when you try different hand positions. I had to stop playing these positions for the best part of a month. (I’m concentrating on fingerstyle at the moment so it wasn’t a problem).

My solution was exactly as stitch said in the earlier post. I’ve started holding the guitar neck higher on both my acoustic and electric. I realised that at times I was slouching over and sometimes the neck was below horizontal and my arm was resting on my leg resulting in terrible posture. That’s the problem with remote learning I suppose, there is no one to correct things that are so obviously wrong.
I'll check my position when I'm  back home. Something like that doesn't really get noticed when you're alone ;)
Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G955F using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App