Author Topic: UST + Mic Blend Systems - Any Ideas?  (Read 6522 times)

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
UST + Mic Blend Systems - Any Ideas?
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »
I have a Vintage Gordon Giltrap 12-string guitar that came with a pick-up system called the Fishman Presys Blend. It has an under-saddle pick-up and microphone combination and a pre-amp which enables blending the two sources and volume and tone controls. I love it and want to buy the system to install into another guitar. However, it seems that Fishman might only be selling it to retailers so consumers can only get hold of it if they buy a guitar with it on-board.
Here is the product page but frustratingly they say "available exclusively on Fishman Equipped brands" which I guess means that the system itself isn't available to consumers; I've searched for it as well and no one seems to be selling it.
http://www.fishman.com/products/view/presys-blend

I've tried to find something similar and so far the best option seems to be the Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend which does pretty much the same thing. It has the advantage of being a "hidden" and "non-destructive" system however it doesn't provide any tone controls which is a shame. Here is their product page for it...
http://www.fishman.com/products/view/ellipse-matrix-blend

Can anyone suggest any similar system which does have tone controls? I don't mind my luthier cutting a hole in the body to install a pre-amp. I'd just like to be able to add a bit of warmth from a microphone to the UST sound.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: UST + Mic Blend Systems - Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
AFAIK, it does only come as a preinstalled set...
And i'm not too sure about sets that do exactly the same AND provide tone controls as well.
But, i'll ask around to see if any of my colleagues within a 20 mile radius has one lying around; if anyone has one lying around i'll PM you.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:53:48 am »
S. Duncan has an acoustic pickup that has a mic built in.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/acoustic/

I have not heard that, but have heard it sounds very nice.

These guys have saddle mount pickups and a variety of preamps to hook to them.

http://www.rmcpickup.com/products.html
Gone

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:19:47 am »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Panic over though. After intensive searching around for one of these pick-up systems and finding that no retailers were selling them, I even wrote to John Hornby Skews & Co. to ask them if they'd sell me one; they install it on some of their guitars, but no joy.

I assumed that if the thing wasn't on sale anywhere, I wasn't going to find it on eBay, so I never bothered searching there. I just found the thing there, being sold by several different people from various countries in Asia. My guess is that these are "grey" sales being made perhaps by people with contacts in the local guitar manufacturing firms. They look kosher so I think I'll take my chances and order one.  :)

It's such a neat pick-up system that I'm mystified as to why it isn't for sale to retailers. One has to be careful not to blend in too much of the microphone but just a little bit adds a lot of warmth. I've played at high volume too and had no feedback problems. It will mean cutting a hole in the guitar but I don't mind doing that - it's a cheap guitar. It will be going into an Epiphone EJ-200 Artist Edition guitar which are selling on a pre-order basis for under £120 inc p+p at Thomann now. The "Artist" edition is basically their EJ-200 without the fancy garbage - abalone trapezoid inlay, moustache bridge etc.. Many people are saying that they got one with a solid spruce top even though the specs state "Selected Spruce" (which usually means laminate). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I get one of those. If not, well it seems to be a lot of guitar for the buck anyway and it has blinding reviews all round.

I'm glad I found the pick-up for it though and at a reasonable price as well - under £50 'cos I wasn't looking forward to having to buy the Ellipse Blend with potential feedback problems and no tone control at twice the price of the actual guitar!

Thanks for the help anyway. I have another guitar (EKO E-20 from the 70s) that could use a pick-up and that Duncan one looks interesting. Seems to be a single-coil / mic blend though and although I'm usually not too keen on single coils for acoustics it could work to achieve an intentionally "grungy" sound.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:00:22 pm »
The Seymour Duncan Mag Mic™ combines a high-quality hum-cancelling Stack® magnetic pickup with an omni-directional condenser mic—all in one unit.

Stacked coils. Not single.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App