Author Topic: Panic or revelation?  (Read 9391 times)

Offline mickk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Panic or revelation?
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:00 pm »
Ok I'm not sure if this is a time for panic or a moment of sheer revelation, but is the C6 chord the same as an Amin7?

Erm and if it is why do we need both?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: Panic or revelation?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:08:54 pm »
They are the same, and yet they are not (pretty Zen, huh?)

You've discovered "relative" chords. There are actually a bunch of chords that when played could have different names. The musical context will tell you which is right.  In a half diminished chord, to take an extreme example, any of the notes could be the root.

As to why we need the different names, imagine you were playing a I-IV-V, but the chords were called C (I), A(IV), and D(V). The Letter name of the chord indicates which note is the root, while the part of the name after the letter tells you the harmonies and how it will "feel" in a progression. It also lets you know if the chord is as you would expect in the key you're playing, or if it's been altered, and a whole host of other stuff.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline mickk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »
Cheers for that.

OK now the problem I have is this. One of the first things you learn is the difference between Major and Minor chords more importantly how they sound different (you can see where this is going can't you!)

Soooo C6 is a Major chord, Amin7 is a minor yet they have exactly the same notes and sound the same.

Don't you just love music theory   

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »
I do actually.

If you just hear the chord in isolation - just playing that one chord for one strum on the guitar. It could be either chord. Generally your ear will hear the lowest note of the chord as the root when heard this way.

But when you put it into a chord progression, then the context makes it clear to your ears what the chord is, just like words that have different meanings are clear when read in a sentence. The word L-E-A-D can mean a metal, or it can mean to have someone follow you. If you just see the word you don't know which meaning it is, but if you read it in something you know what is meant.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline mickk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:43 pm »
When you put it like that it all begins to make sense, it's just that sometimes things seem to be designed just to confuse a stupid person (i.e. me!)

Offline useDraW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 05:30:06 am »
a 6th is an inverted triad, just a short tidbit.
20 yo noisemaker/musician, been playing guitar for 11'ish years.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App