Author Topic: REPLY ... QUOTE ... INSERT QUOTE ... @ .......... READ THIS THREAD!!  (Read 7072 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
Re: REPLY ... QUOTE ... INSERT QUOTE ... @ .......... READ THIS THREAD!!
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »
...... so I am for anything that can be made easier and better.
Peace

Well the rules have been clearly defined. The ball is in your court.

Be aware though that "trying" is not going to cut it. It has to be accomplished.

If you need help with any disability I suggest you check locally with people that specialize in that sort of thing as I know they can help you out. We have had several blind members here and they communicated flawlessly. Most any word processor will have both spell and grammar checkers. Simply process your replies offline and then cut/past your final product into the reply field. Many people do that even if they have no visual handicap.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »
close2u has this down to a science...

An art or a science.
I suppose it depends which side of my brain I'm using!
 ;D

When you start removing words or taking words out of context it creates something that is worst than the full quote.
I have seen people take a single line from a post and twist it into something of no relevance.

Your point is valid ... but mis-quoting or quoting to misrepresent and cause disagreement and disharmony is a different issue really ...
We are simply talking about the use of the quote function as a means of responding to a thread and whether its use adds to the clarity and ease of navigation through the thread or makes it more difficult to read and navigate.

... I'm sure it's not just me, but on many, many occasions, while I am replying there will be one if not multiple additional replies.

You shouldn't take so long to type up your 5000 word essays then !!  lol  ;)

No, on a serious note (ha ha), the red warning that someone has already submitted a reply can / does sometimes mean that your post will not be exactly next in line to the one your are responding to ... in that case I guess the circumstances dictate and a judicious quote is no bad thing ... it can of course be inserted after you have composed your reply either if because the red warning means you get the chance to edit (and you can always preview / edit in the normal scheme of things anyway).

The only real problem I have had ... with quotes was (is) the quoting of paragraphs ... makes the reading cumbersome.

Yes.

... FAR more importantly the lack of quoting when using another's words inside one's own post .... is simply rude, incomprehensible, and borderline deceitful.

Yes again.
There have been instances when members have obviously (by design or accident) deleted the 'quote' and '/quote' ... and the square brackets etc ... so what remains looks like they wrote it all ... the quote and the response ...

So actual personal quoting preferences I have no real problem with. the only thing I don't like to see ... are half page length quotes when the reply is something like "+1"

+1 to that TB!   lol    ;)

Bottom line...... I am deleting every post I see that lacks quotes of some sort when it contains quoted material.

No argument from me.
It's fair to state that through action, my bottom line has been / will be:
if there are several consecutive posts where the conversation is direct one-to-one exchange and yet the layered quotes within quotes (or nested quotes) build up because the quote button has been used instead of the reply button then I will delete the quotes if I have the time, if I can be bothered or if it is in an important learning area of the forum.

@ steveo2
I am very glad that making the screen view bigger is helping you see / read / respond more clearly.
And I am also glad that you are amending your habits on quoting.
And I am also glad that you are using your new found skills to change font size and colour too.
 :)

successive and consecutive

This is some sort of reference to the Thompson Twins, isn't it? I know there's a hidden message here. I just know it......

The dreadful 80s pop band with silly hair or the cartoon characters from Tintin?
I'm not sure.
To be honest I hadn't noticed my tautology and repetition (though that one was deliberate!! lol    ;)
I was just trying to be emphatic in making a point.

steveo2

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 05:49:59 pm »
 I help in many rooms if I were to try and ask a question I will do better a checking with spell checker , funny this seems to mess up worst than a poor letter.
Too type out the chords to happy birthday I should not have to go through that much trouble and just be able to answer a person who may need this that day for sing for someone.

Advise here is free but it seems pretty good seem people fix a guitar on there own with forum help.
This works well.

I must have not seen that ball or even a court.
people are different.
If there was a Court a jester i would be.
I am not blind I am not even required to wear glasses at night but this is because I make people laugh and the let me slide I really do need glasses at night.

I can give you rocks and let you throw them at me , it is not likely you will hit me.
the white of the screen does something to my eyes and that in turn make it harder for me to post.
When I had the old green screens of DOS i did not have these problem.
Would you believe a person who is blind insurance will not pay to cut there toe nails so there is not enough help for people with disabilities.
Me I am Handy-able more than Handy-capped.
Just trying to learn and fit in.
You assume I am blind this is the best word I can use as I have explained this many times.
 When I try my best and it is not good enough then I give up I give up on little in this life, a small walk is still a step.
One foot in front of the other and soon your walking, I am happier I am going much better but hope to get better.

Yeah it really is Close who has help me TB has tried and a few others.
Thank for the assistance with patience and a small amount of just plain human kindness we can get this stuff fixed and not make people feel bad or poorly.

Live, Laugh and Play

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 06:15:17 pm »
I was just trying to be emphatic in making a point.

Point noted. Also if you find yourself doing this sort of maintenance let me know ( it's not obvious ). Repeat offenders will get the keys to the highway ( and that won't be the tab to a blues song ).

You/we should not be having to do this for any reason. It is going to stop. Your spare time should be spent playing guitar, not fretting over someone else's inability to use a web forum. We're not here to help people use a computer by trial and error. If they have a computer issue they can seek help in the computer section.

successive/consecutive ---Thompson Twins-----Tintin------actual twins cartoon was based on----tautology

"Bicker..banter...brew ha ha"   It's Only Talk

... but we need to put it together so it sounds good. Otherwise it's no fun.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »
..........not fretting over someone else's inability to use a web forum.

I see what you did there, TB............ Very good, very good................

;D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »
I have my moments......

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 07:29:13 am »
It is time to bump up this thread methinks.

Attention ... just in case you haven't gone back to the start ...

You can REPLY to a post by clicking REPLY.

You do not need to click QUOTE.

Most times it is better to click REPLY.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 07:57:56 am »
Bumpety bump and a bumpety bump

If you have not read this thread before - and use the quote feature - read it now

Thank you.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 08:51:20 am »
It is time to bump up this thread methinks.

Attention ... just in case you haven't gone back to the start ...

You can REPLY to a post by clicking REPLY.

You do not need to click QUOTE.

Most times it is better to click REPLY.

Time for a bump.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 11:04:39 am »
new year bump

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2017, 04:00:42 pm »
Reviving a very old thread.

Since this thread was first posted I have changed the settings behind the scenes so that multiple quotes within quotes within quotes can not be all nested together anymore.

However, I wish to make a gentle, polite reminder about using the REPLY button unless using the Quote button is needed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »
Noted

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 07:03:18 pm »
Wow, the quote thread from hell... I had forgotten about this one.

I want you to know I used great restraint in not clicking the quote button as I have but one thing to say....

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 47
  • I'm stubborn...so is my guitar...
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2017, 07:41:20 pm »
Aye aye, sir!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App