Author Topic: Old Farts and Memory  (Read 556 times)

Offline Gridknightt

• Good Vibes 0
Old Farts and Memory
« on: January 18, 2020, 12:46:43 am »
I'm in my 60's and been "playing" guitar for about 6 yrs... i can't play a whole song, either strumming or fingerstyle, without a tab sheet in front of me. sort of puts a downer on improve playing at a party.  it also hinders advancing my learning..  bad memory i guess...

anyone else experience this? 

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
    • YouTube
Re: Old Farts and Memory
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 02:00:23 am »
No, not at all. Never. What was the question again? ;)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 02:02:02 am »
Absolutely, but I’ve also got Fibromyalgia which doesn’t help matters. I wasn’t too bad until I got this way but as you get older it definitely gets harder. I think that the best way is to learn a song a few bars at a time and not just run through it all using the TAB, repetition = learning the sequence.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 09:56:09 am »
I take my song books with me to parties and the others look up the lyrics on their phones. We’re all happy! After a few beers who cares!
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM and Folk Fingerstyle (and a little Blues impro 😎).
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 01:50:46 pm »
I've seen a LOT younger players with music stand holding tablets. Who says it can't be used for more than just repertoire.

;)

Libi
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline Greybeard

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 03:59:05 pm »
I'm 62 so I qualify for the old farts club, but I've always had trouble playing songs from memory. It seems like I always have to review the chords before I start playing a song. One thing that has helped me as I get older and more experienced is that my ear and brain have started recognizing common intervals. So even if I don't remember the name of the chord I'm to play next, my brain can "hear" the interval jump that is coming and often my hand and fingers just go to where they need to be.
Another thing that helps is listening to the song over and over until all the parts are in my memory. And also playing along with the original recording helps. That way when I play the song solo I can hear the recording in my mind and try to follow along.

Offline Rosshkerr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:41:50 pm »

Another thing that helps is listening to the song over and over until all the parts are in my memory. And also playing along with the original recording helps. That way when I play the song solo I can hear the recording in my mind and try to follow along.

This definitely helps and I do it all the time when trying to learn a new song. At 53 I suppose I now qualify for the OFC as well. I have been playing now for 3 and a bit years and have learnt about 50 songs (i used to play a bit years ago but never really learnt  much). My trouble is remembering how to play all the songs as I don't get much practise time so can't play all of the songs all of the time. Some songs i play more often so remember these better but others I have to go back to the tabs part way through. I managed to download some backing tracks which are good to play along too as it helps sort out timings etc. I find that I can keep it all correct when playing with the original recording  ut it can go out the window when there is no guitar rhythm to play to

Sent from my SM-N950F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App