Author Topic: Why use a stereo mic over a mono?  (Read 630 times)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Why use a stereo mic over a mono?
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:57:42 am »
Ok, i'm trying to decide on a mic still, and i've just seen the Cascade X-15 stereo mic, and heard it. But i don't understand what use a stereo mic is if you're plugging it into an audio interface that is mono. Or is it only mono if you plug an instrument into it, and stereo if you plug an xlr cable into it?
Probably a stupid question but if i don't know, i would rather ask and feel stupid after, than not ask and never know. :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Why use a stereo mic over a mono?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:05:16 am »
A 5-pin cable is included, the cable connects to a metal splitter box where two separate XLR connectors give access the to upper and lower ribbon motors.

Stereo - 1 cable with 5 pins. + - Gnd - + splits to 2 normal xlr + - gnd and + - gnd

you would not plug this into mono

Gone

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Re: Why use a stereo mic over a mono?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:17:53 am »
A 5-pin cable is included, the cable connects to a metal splitter box where two separate XLR connectors give access the to upper and lower ribbon motors.

Stereo - 1 cable with 5 pins. + - Gnd - + splits to 2 normal xlr + - gnd and + - gnd

you would not plug this into mono

oh. ok. So if i understand this...

If i bought a stereo mic, it would have two XLR male connectors on it that i would plug into channel 1 and channel 2 on my interface?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App