Author Topic: Two Strummy Ones using the Zoom H2 Microphone  (Read 905 times)

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
Two Strummy Ones using the Zoom H2 Microphone
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:36:06 pm »
Here are two strummy ones I did really to see what my Zoom H2 was capable of on its own. I'm just playing straight into my Marshall Acoustic Amp; guitar in one channel and voice in the other. The Zoom H2 is just sitting on a table about 1.5 meters away from the amp at speaker level. Not performances I'm particularly proud of so neither recording will find it's way to YouTube but I thought I'd post them here if only to demonstrate the mic. I used the 96K (highest) setting and turned the wav files into 128 MP3s to post. I'm really impressed with this mic. I got it to replace my little MP3 recorder (which broke) as a scratch recorder for ideas but it's turned out to be much more than that.

"Good To Be Free"
http://www.4shared.com/audio/2kh0IOt9/Good_To_Be_Free.html
"Little By Little"
http://www.4shared.com/audio/sVFLW-_G/Little_By_Little.html
Both Noel Gallager songs.

EDIT: I've just recorded another but this time I bypassed the amp. This is just an unplugged acoustic and voice going straight into the Zoom on my desk in front of me about 15 inches away. This is "The Death of You and Me"
http://www.4shared.com/audio/pFuDi492/The_Death_of_You_and_Me__LIVE_.html

I did some testing with the mic and the voice was coming out much too loud. So when I recorded with it I turned the voice channel right down on the amp until it sounded about matched to the guitar. A bit disconcerting singing and hardly being able to hear what I was singing but it turned out OK.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:19:04 pm by thepicnicband »
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
Re: Two Strummy Ones using the Zoom H2 Microphone
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »
I'm a sucker for these Oasis covers Ben. Glad you've discovered Noel mate.  :D

I thought 'The Death of You and Me' sounded a lot better than the other two. I don't mean the other two are bad (they're good), I mean recording wise, which is encouraging 'cos I was gonna buy one of those Zoom H2's myself once finances permit it, and that's what I'd be recording - acoustic. I like the way your voice/playing makes the songs your own mate.

Besides that, I'll probably be shooting a few questions your way if/when I come to buy one if that's ok with you.

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:23:24 am »
@irishalkies Happy to answer any questions on the Zoom H2 but in all honesty it's such a piece of p*** to operate that you probably won't need to ask them. I've tried the Zoom H1 by the way and it's really just as good in a different way (and much cheaper). The 1 version has proper buttons that you press, making it more like a cassette recorder. The 2 version is menu driven although easy to operate nevertheless. They both do 24bit 96K.
The 1 version has a 90 degree spread (I believe) that is recorded with 2 condensers. The 2 version has four mics which can all be used to get a "surround" sound or in pairs. The front ones record with a 90 degree spread and the back ones with a 120 degree spread. I've only been using the front ones.
An interesting technique that I've used is that when I've recorded into the desk I've also recorded with the Zoom at the same time. I just make sure to click my fingers before I start. That way I have a reference point and can take the recording on the zoom and match it with the one on the desk. This means that I can blend the two recordings together. I just need to drag the wav onto the timeline and match it at the click. This is rather like a clapper board function.
I've used both and the only real difference (quality-wise) is that the v.1 is en-cased in plastic which "creaks" a bit when hand-held. However, if one is using it statically then one can "anchor" it with a stand (I use blutack!) and that's not a problem. If I knew what I know now, I'd never have bought the v.2 'cos it ain't really any better than the 1. I've loaned out my 1 to a friend so that's the only reason that I'm using the 2. Otherwise I'd be happy to use the 1. The difference in price is about £40.
Hope this helps and any questions... always glad to answer.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:53:05 am »
Cheers Ben. That just about covers it mate. I reckon I'd be leaning more toward the Zoom H1 now, reading that. I don't need bell's and whistles for an extra £40.  :D

I just need something to make a decent recording given that I've been using my MP3 player.

Offline neo01124

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Its better to burn out than it is to fade
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:07:59 am »
I like these recordings.
I want to upgrade my recording setup (cheap mic -> audacity).
Does the H2 have ability to do multitrack recording (not all at one time)?
You record rhythm guitar on one track and then play that track and record lead/vocal over it.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 06:43:20 am »
[mod edit - moved to microphones section]

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 09:12:20 am »
I agree with Irish. Death is the best sounding of the 3. But overall, that unit is rather impressive quality. Thanks for sharing them

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:23:46 am »
Does the H2 have ability to do multitrack recording (not all at one time)?

No. It is a linear recorder that just records the moment in stereo from it's front 2 condenser mics (which gives a spread of 90 degrees) or from it's back 2 condensers (which widens the spread to 120 degrees. It also has a "surround" option that records using all four microphones at once and then takes it to a stereo mix.

(Thanks close2u for moving thread).  :)
Ben

Get The Forum As A Mobile App