Author Topic: What chords am I playing?  (Read 5711 times)

Bearny

What chords am I playing?
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:55:28 pm »
Hello there fellow guitar players,

I've made up this little song on my guitar with great sounding chords, thanks to Justin's Chord Construction Guide book i've learned the theory behind chord structure which is great, I love to know what im playing and not just guessing. However im abit confused about this chord I tried out which fits perfectly in the chord progression of the song, the notes are: D,F#,B,E and tabs: (x,5,4,4,5,0). I look at these notes and first to try make it into a triad, we have a B minor chord there, B,D,F# and the E which would be number 11 in the B Major Scale(B,C#,D#,E,F#,G#,A#,B,C#,D#,E). How do you name this chord? It can't be a B minor 11th chord since the 11th note isn't flattened, I just don't know... help?  :-\

I have another example aswell but this one I think I figured out, notes: A,C#,E,B,D and tab: (x,2,0,2,2,0) This chord is a A Major 11 right? It has the the R,3,5,9,11 notes of the A Major Scale, I just want to make sure im naming the chords correctly.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: What chords am I playing?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:45:23 pm »
D6/9 for the first one. It's the same as a D9 but the b7 is lowered to a 6. also the 9 is doubled on the b and e strings.

Dsus2Maj7/B for the second one. which sounds a lot better if you raise that C# to a D. Then it would be Dsus2/B which again is highlighting the 6th degree just like your first chord.
Gone

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: What chords am I playing?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »
First off, some chords don't need a name - they just sound really cool.
See: "A Horse with No Name" by America.

For your chords, giving the notes is only half of the picture. What are the other chords in the progression? Knowing what an "odd" chords does is often the key to naming it. Then you can figure out what the root tone is (it might not even be present in the chord, only implied) and go from there.

Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App