Author Topic: Recording video and audio query  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Recording video and audio query
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:51:18 am »
ok, i'm guessing the answer is what i think already... recording video on my webcam while trying to record audio to Reaper through my mic is going to be a bad idea due to both the audio and video trying to be processed at once. And that you're going to tell me... Get a video camera to record video and use the computer to record the audio. Then sync the two afterwards.

So here's the query...

I've tried several times to record video n my logitech c910 using the logitech quick capture software, while recording audio through my SM57 into Reaper.
The video records fine. But the audio going into Reaper is horrible. It's choppy, distorted and just unusable basically.
Is there a way to remedy this short term without needing to spend on a video camera?

There is one way i can do it, and that's to just record both audio and video into the webcam, which actually doesn't sound bad. The stereo mic's on the C910 are really decent quality for a webcam.
Then what i do is strip out the audio in Reaper and save it with noise reduction done, etc. Then take the video into windows movie maker, and insert the new audio track in on top. It works. But i wanted to try and get some better quality audio recording done.

Anyone got any ideas? If i have to break down and get a new video cam, i will do, but i'm trying to avoid that.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
Re: Recording video and audio query
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:57:50 am »
I would just record an audio track by itself.  Then video record yourself playing the song with no sound.  Then put the two together in the movie software you're using.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:59:34 am »
I would just record an audio track by itself.  Then video record yourself playing the song with no sound.  Then put the two together in the movie software you're using.
I had thought about that too, End. But it's an extra step in time that i don't have much of to spare hehe. So i'm pretty much all or nothing when it comes to recording. It's got to be done in as few tries as possible. One take is all i usually end up getting before the kids invade hehe.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:44:36 am »
until recently most of my recordings have been webcam and reaper recorded at the same time.
Make sure your webcam is plugged into a usb port on the back of the machine rather than the front.
also make sure you're recording the audio through ASIO drivers, should help get rid of the choppyness.
If it's still a problem check task manager while recording with both to see if either application is hogging memory or cpu time.
I know reapers good so it could be worth trying a different capture program (debut video capture worked fine for me)

what I would say though is that even an old/cheap camcorder is a vast improvement on a webcam. (my recent recordings are on an old sony dvd handcam)
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:20 am »
until recently most of my recordings have been webcam and reaper recorded at the same time.
Make sure your webcam is plugged into a usb port on the back of the machine rather than the front.
also make sure you're recording the audio through ASIO drivers, should help get rid of the choppyness.
If it's still a problem check task manager while recording with both to see if either application is hogging memory or cpu time.
I know reapers good so it could be worth trying a different capture program (debut video capture worked fine for me)

what I would say though is that even an old/cheap camcorder is a vast improvement on a webcam. (my recent recordings are on an old sony dvd handcam)
Well, pretty much got all that checked and done already. I'm recording in HD 1080p on the video side of things. So that might be a possible reason why. I'll try dropping down to lower resolutions for the video and see what happens there.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 03:40:42 am »
ok. After some experimenting. I can now get clear audio. Only problem is, the video is having to be recorded in the lowest resolution sadly. The only drawback of the Logitech C910 is the lack of on board encoding processor. The other one i was looking at had it, but the picture quality sucked compared to the Logitech.

So as long as i record video in 360p, i can get a decent recording. It's a start. And to be honest, in the low light i have most of the time in this room, the web cam performs way way better than my old JVC camcorder i have.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:59:46 pm »
One consideration is that USB has limited bandwidth which could be part of the issue. USB1 is only 12Mbit/s max and if you have more than one device on the bus they will be sharing (and sometimes fighting) over it.

Bear in mind that even if you have multiple USB ports, often these are part of the same controller internally. If you have USB2 ports you should definitely aim to use these for the video part.

How is the audio getting into Reaper? Clearly this will be via some sort of sound card, but is it a USB one, internal, etc.?

If it's a USB sound card, it may be worth experimenting with which port it's plugged into.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »
One consideration is that USB has limited bandwidth which could be part of the issue. USB1 is only 12Mbit/s max and if you have more than one device on the bus they will be sharing (and sometimes fighting) over it.

Bear in mind that even if you have multiple USB ports, often these are part of the same controller internally. If you have USB2 ports you should definitely aim to use these for the video part.

How is the audio getting into Reaper? Clearly this will be via some sort of sound card, but is it a USB one, internal, etc.?

If it's a USB sound card, it may be worth experimenting with which port it's plugged into.

Cheers,

Keith

cam is usb. audio interface is firewire.
i don't think the problem is the devices. The problem is the amount of cpu power that's being eaten up by the video encoding software. I'm pretty sure that if i had a more powerful system it would be just fine. I'll be able to prove that soon enough as i'm due for an upgrade. i7 here i come finally lol

I can recreate the issue at will now and can see the problem. So i've got a handle on it. I just never had my tech support hat on the evening i posted my original post.

Thanks for the replies though all.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:39 pm »

i don't think the problem is the devices. The problem is the amount of cpu power that's being eaten up by the video encoding software. I'm pretty sure that if i had a more powerful system it would be just fine. I'll be able to prove that soon enough as i'm due for an upgrade. i7 here i come finally lol

Yeah, that makes sense, especially if it's trying to encode on the fly. It might be worth checking the options on the video software to see if there is one which records in a format which doesn't use up so much CPU, and then encode it later.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 12:07:15 am »

Yeah, that makes sense, especially if it's trying to encode on the fly. It might be worth checking the options on the video software to see if there is one which records in a format which doesn't use up so much CPU, and then encode it later.

Cheers,

Keith
Logitech doesn't give you a choice. I forget what it saves video as, but have already been down that path looking. There's probably other software i could use instead that will save video as a different format. But i'm not buying more software if i can avoid it. I'll have a look around and see what else is available. Thanks for the suggestion.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App