Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0008 - Twist of Cain - Danzig  (Read 10319 times)

EVH Fan

Re: Guitar Challenge 0008 - Twist of Cain - Danzig
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:36 am »
I might just have to give this song a go. Of course the audio quality will suck but it gives me a chance to "record" something with the TT.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 02:12:39 am »
And to answer, the tab i have says
2-2---
2-2---
0-0---
Which is also how it sounds to me on the record.

All I know is that if I set Reaper to 123+/- bpm and adjust the file to where the cymbals land on the beat markers, which also places the snare hits on every other beat marker ( which is where they are supposed to be.......)

The second chord of the pair is on the marker. It's on the 1. It's on the line. The first chord of the pair is on the last beat of the prior measure. that second chord then rings for 4 beats 1 2 3 4. Thus the pair of chords would count as 4 1 2 3 4 with the first 4 being the first chord.

This can be seen rather easily at about bar numbers 100 - 101 ( mine is shifted off a bit but should be within a measure. In fact that lick 3 0 3 0 doesn't start on the 1 either but I'm not going down that road. In fact a lot of that 4 bar riff is played on off beats it looks like to me. The double chord is what starts it all and pulls it back together. the first hit is the pickup, The second the downbeat. It really doesn't come back to the downbeat until all 4 bars are done and you get that two cord re-start so to speak.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it until someone comes up with a better idea.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 173
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 12:32:04 am »
You've already lost me...
So i'll agree and keep on practicing until i get it right.

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 10:18:41 pm »
here's my attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXjzwObg84

i still struggle to get a nice pinch harmonics, i can't play them when i want to and even when it happens they just sound kinda dirty, sometimes it's hard to hear it's a squelie at all :-[
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 08:57:17 am »
pretty good attempt
some pinch harmonics in there
timing missed a little once or twice
better mix of your playing and the original then in mine
good 'scrapes' in the chorus

what did you record with?
your new mic?

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 09:17:59 am »
the mix might be better because i don't "rerecord" the original track, i mean, i only record my guitar and then add the backing track in software

and i'm using my old gear because there was some screw up with delivery and i have to wait and wait and wait and wait....... >:(

i'm not sure what do you mean by "scrapes", though

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 07:08:35 pm »
Pretty good job loco, i see you noticed the slide from the 15th fret during the verse, something close2u missed (sorry close :( ), good timing too except for the very beginning, but you straightened it out fine after a second or so.
Pinch harmonics do need some work, all i can say is that it's in using the thumb the right way, and figuring out where the node for the right harmonic is.

Hopefully i'll be able to record something tomorrow (finally got a day off), however i busted my videocam so it'll be a direct recording and webcam video  :(

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 07:13:03 pm »
... i see you noticed the slide from the 15th fret during the verse, something close2u missed (sorry close :( ...

it sounds good in Loco's

I didn't miss it so much as choose to ignore it ... mine didn't sound all that good in practice   ;D

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:22 pm »
Ah, fair enough, it IS hard to get it sounding right, especially once the nervous sweat right before the recording session sets in...  ;)

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »
that was some major PITA to get myself in sync with backing track so i just used the original recording but still i didn't know when to jump in so the timining is off at the beginning and also i'm totally off at 0:54 with those 3 strokes i don't know how it happened but hey... :P

and i love all slides they are like +10 to rock power so i had to play them :D

welly_59

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:53 am »
i started this challenge last night and its already helped me with my pinch harmonics greatly. im hitting them a lot more now so maybe i'll get a clip up at some point.

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 05:29:24 am »
GREAT JAM. I'm gonna give this challenge a go here when I get my new guitar tomorrow night. Reviving this for the sake of a good challenge.
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App