Author Topic: Stage 4 songs.  (Read 14372 times)

Offline Itzaak

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Stage 4 songs.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 08:24:03 pm »
I mean, I got the pattern, and I did memorize the song, and everything works fine when I play the song slowly. But the moment I start speeding up the rhythm it gets close to the actual song, but then it slips and sounds just awkward. I guess I should work more on the strumming and probably on the chord changes (though I can change the chords relatively fast without making a mistake). It started annoying me since I have been working on the song for more than a week now, and for last four days I don't see almost any progress.
-I can't do it! I simply can not! -What's wrong with you man?! We can do anything, 'cause we are humans.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:50 pm »
That is how increasing your speed works.

You get to a speed where you start to screw up.  Back off a bit so you can play it correctly.  Play it correctly at the speed, then bump it up, maybe a little less.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 11:25:40 pm »
Itzaak

Never one to assume but are you working through the BC at the moment? If you are the one thing Justin advocates right up to the last few stages is playing everything at a steady 4 strums per bar. Don't beat your self up if you're struggling with the DDDUD pattern, Just keep working on DDDD in order to play alongside the original and the come back to the 'original'/suggested pattern when you're comfortable with the RUST No 2 pattern.

If you're struggling matching the two, just work on the strumming pattern muting the strings with your fretting hand ie focus on the pattern. And then,as I said focus on the chord changes keeping a simple DDDD. Then when you're ready bring the two together 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline Straitshoot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:47 pm »
Does anyone have the little riff written for "Sitting on the Dock of the bay" written in Guitar tab?

Offline joshi23

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »
Hello. I have some problems with the actual strumming pattern of "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons. It is one of my favourite songs and I would really like to play it. Has anyone the same problem?
I don´t know why but I struggle with that song very much (maybe because it is so fast or I haven´t found the secret of this song yet). Is it the tuning that makes this song so unique?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:55:19 pm by joshi23 »

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 11:31:14 pm »
I'd need to go and listen to Little Lion Man again as I've not listened to it for a while, however from memory I think the beat isn't quite as described in the song book. I'm sure the 4&1 pattern should be quicker, and more like a 16th note &a1.
It's certainly not a song I'd expect a beginner to play at full tempo, as your chord changes have to be fast to get the right feel.

Offline joshi23

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 11:39:47 am »
Ok. Thanx for your comment. I hope someday I manage to play this tune:)

Offline lihp8270

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 09:56:32 am »
I have a question regarding Little Lion Man.

In the book, where it goes to 2 chords per bar.  Does the strumming pattern remain the same, with a chord change in it.

Or does the strumming pattern change for that section?
BC Stage 5/6
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro

Offline lihp8270

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 09:39:16 am »
Well,  I did solve this.

By this weird, and outrageous method.  I listened to the track carefully :D

Not my kind of music, but my OH wanted me to play it, it seems ears are useful things :)
BC Stage 5/6
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 09:45:26 am »
Well done lihp8270. That's the way you're supposed to do it. As a general pointer to others for most of the stuff in the BSB (and until your comfortable just continuing to play those patterns with quick changes) you can move to down strums when you have two chords in a single bar. Two beats (down strums) each chord. Tends to make it a little easier and it still works.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline amh007

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:09 pm »
Can anybody help on the strumming pattern for Britney Spears - Baby One more Time:

From what I understood:

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
X    D u X   D u

But I don't get the same effect.  Anyone can help?

Offline Henry Krinkle

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 05:51:33 am »
Can anybody help on the strumming pattern for Britney Spears - Baby One more Time:

From what I understood:

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
X    D u X   D u

But I don't get the same effect.  Anyone can help?

Justin suggests there are many ways to play it but he thinks that all downstrokes sound best (with accents on 2 and 4).  I can't post a link to his lesson but it's on the main site (and in the songbook).

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 01:04:05 pm »
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline Bissrok

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 11:34:31 am »
Anyone else having trouble with 3 A.M. from the second songbook?  That strumming pattern isn't fitting into my brain.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App