Author Topic: Stage 1 songs.  (Read 86576 times)

Offline Kenxu1

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Stage 1 songs.
« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2015, 12:42:56 am »
Thanks for the last answer, makes sense. 

I'm able to make the chord changes in time, but my problem is keeping track of the number of beats and bars.   Are there any tips to make this easier?  Should I strum a little more forcefully on the first or last beat?  Will getting better at singing give me the queues?

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2015, 02:07:17 am »
Hi Ken,

My advice is to listen to the original songs and really listen for the chord changes. Tap your foot along and try to note the duration (number of bars) of each chord. Doing this without actually playing along might help with the counting as you have less to focus on.

It might help to write this down for a couple of songs, but once you get a little more experience you'll likely start to recognize patterns. For example, take a G-C-D progression. A common way to play that is 1 bar of G, 1 bar of C, and 2 bars of D. So even if the book isn't written with 4 bars per line, when you hear a song with that progression you'll be able to recognize it and keep time.

The lyrics can serve as a cue to know when to switch and it's really useful when playing and singing, but right now I would focus on the counting more than where in the lyrics the changes fall. As you progress and continue to develop that internal rhythm, you'll likely find that you use the lyrics to guide you more than just straight counting (depending on the complexity of the song).

And to your question of how hard to strum, it depends on the song. At some point (I don't remember where the lesson falls), you'll see a lesson on 'accents.' Some songs put the accent on the first beat of the bar, but others will have them interspersed throughout.

It's all about listening to the tune and working out the progression, rhythm and dynamics of the guitar part. It takes practice, but keep working at it and one of these days you'll have that 'light-bulb' moment where it all clicks.

Offline Kenxu1

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2015, 12:33:45 pm »
Thanks all for your sharing your valuable insight and advice, it's really helpful. Wish I could give good vibes instead of adding a post, but don't have the minimum number of posts yet. 

Offline SunBurstUK

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • :-)
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2015, 07:02:43 pm »

I am struggling a bit on 'Walk of life' page 14  beginners songbook. I have looked at the video on the web that JUstin has kindly put up for us all to view but, I am stuck on the intro a bit. It says to play ADEDE 4 times I do this while humming the keyboard melody and can count this out. Yet on the video it also says to play these chords as A 2 3 4 D 2 3 4 E 2 3 4 D 2 E 2.

yet in the book it just says to play the AEDEDE 4 times only as the intro.

I am now lost as to do we play both AEDEDE then the 2 34 and D 2 E2 strum pattern afterwards.
 and when and where?

::) I hope you can help me please and that someone understands my post.

Thank you in advance
"If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and  try again"

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2015, 07:38:18 pm »
The video is right. Watch it starting at 1:20 Justin explains the intro.

Offline SunBurstUK

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • :-)
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2015, 06:18:30 pm »

Thanks Stitch101 :-)) I will re check video and add footnotes to my coursebook ( in pencil :P) can't wait to be able to do the Blues Strum version of walk of life, Justin makes it look easy!
"If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and  try again"

Offline mothofdoom

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Metal Wizard in training
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2015, 12:39:08 am »
Just played 'walk of life' through with pumping 8ths for the first time.  My girlfriend was listening and she gave me a 'Yay' after I finished.  Messed up in the middle, but kept it going without stopping thus salvaging the song from the claws of failure.  Quite pleased as I spent a week playing 4ths and messing up and stopping. 

I think I'm ready for stage 2!
By the power of the Internet, I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

BC Stage 4

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2015, 09:57:45 pm »
Congratulations! Positive feedback is always welcome. You're on your way.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Charlie

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2016, 12:07:37 pm »

I am struggling a bit on 'Walk of life' page 14  beginners songbook. I have looked at the video on the web that JUstin has kindly put up for us all to view but, I am stuck on the intro a bit. It says to play ADEDE 4 times I do this while humming the keyboard melody and can count this out. Yet on the video it also says to play these chords as A 2 3 4 D 2 3 4 E 2 3 4 D 2 E 2.

yet in the book it just says to play the AEDEDE 4 times only as the intro.

I am now lost as to do we play both AEDEDE then the 2 34 and D 2 E2 strum pattern afterwards.
 and when and where?

::) I hope you can help me please and that someone understands my post.

Thank you in advance

Hi.. What I did was to photocopy the page 14 and add a few prompts and numbers of strums by the side of the chords so as to simplify it for me.

Im a very basic learner and cannot nor ever will be able to read music or TAB as I am horribly dyslexic.

So I do as above and after watching the brilliant videos I add my prompts and numbers (I call them triggers) and this has helped me understand. 

When I set out to learn to play I asked the question "Do I have to be able to read or learn music" I was told No.. Not entirely sure that is the case and I feel TAB might be useful. But I have tried and so far had no sucess in reading it...

Frankly without finding this website and buying the songbook (Edition 1) I think I would have packed in by now and I dont give up easily.
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name he marks that you won or lost but how you played the game.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2016, 12:23:50 pm »
Music is absolutely not neccesary to learn to play. I don't think TAB is either, I've never used it.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2016, 04:31:50 pm »
Hi.. What I did was to photocopy the page 14 and add a few prompts and numbers of strums by the side of the chords...

So I do as above and after watching the brilliant videos I add my prompts and numbers (I call them triggers) and this has helped me understand. 

This means you are not only reading, but writing down music.  Maybe not standard notation or tab, but you are making/modifying charts that records in written form what/how to play.  In essence that is all standard and tab notation do and are.

Good job!  Don't sell youself short.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Felix

• Good Vibes 0
    • Insanity Wokrout meal plan - Nutrition Guide free download
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2016, 04:13:15 pm »
Hi, will anyone help?  I am new this book and new the stringed instrument.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »
Hi, will anyone help?  I am new this book and new the stringed instrument.

Hello Felix
And welcome.
You need to ask specific questions.
This is in the section for Stage 1 Beginner Course songs.
Is there a song you want help with?

Offline pumukk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2016, 09:24:24 am »
Hi I want to learn to play the walk of life in the blues version. I finished the beginners course and I can play more than 10 songs of the list. This one in the blues version sounds awesome but I donĀ“t know how to play it. I try to play it but always sounds like the "chanka chanka" rhythm Would you recomend me some exercises? Thanks!

Offline pkootker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2018, 11:16:30 am »
I'm just starting and trying to play Coldplay's Don't Panic.

The last part of the Fmaj7 chord, you don't use finger 2 on 4 (the down strike), but following the book I have to  use finger 2 (the full Fmaj7) on 4.

So what is right?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App