Author Topic: BS-702 • Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi  (Read 19952 times)

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: BS-702 • Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »
Yes, apparently the nice lawyers insisted on it.

But you can find those on pretty much every major tab website (in varying degrees of quality as usual).

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:24 am »
@watsonvillian did I not go through it in the video? It's kinda pushed so the changes are not happening on the beat... but I can't recall it exactly right now.

@notalentc1 no tabs on the site for a few years, but I do publish them in songbooks, but for this song it's not a whole tab - just tab for the intro, chords and strumming patterns.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline watsonvillian

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 08:43:21 am »
Thanks for replying Justin. That was back in July I asked...about six months after I started. Six months later..I watched the video many more times and got it down pat with the F barre in it now. Funny how I see things now compared to when I first started.

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:20 am »
I am enjoying practicing this song very much, I honestly cant believe that I am able to play it at all.
Two questions;
*Justin suggests picking the intro riff in this sequence; down, up, down, up; as in an exercise in a future lesson. Which lesson is this and why is this suggested?
*The hammer part where Justin hits the A string of the G chord; is that a bit of a hammer/ flick off, just hammering the string is not very loud for me.
Thanks,
LT
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:40:12 am by Lucky Tim »

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »
Hi Justin, I have a question about the intro (thanks for the superior clarity on showing frets and fingerings!) - you say to do a "down-up-down-up" picking action on the intro. You say it's tricky (and I agree :)) but I'm wondering why you say that instead of a "down-down-up-up" action.

(edit: never mind - I've just watched a few others and my Q is answered - basic picking techniques that my self-taught self didn't know...)

I've got the same question, but would somebody mind giving me the answer? Am I doing it wrong with all Down picks? And more important: why? I've looked but couldn't find an answer.

Thx!
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »
FWIW

Justin teaches that all beginners should first learn to become proficient at alternate picking before learning other types of picking.  If you look at any beginners or intermediate course lesson on picking strings, you'll see they all are taught as alternate picking.

Why?  I find that it's much easier to keep the proper rhythm with alternate picking.  The down strokes are on the down beat and the up strokes are on the up beat.  It's a lot like strumming in that way.

Are you doing it wrong with all down picks?  No, but do you have the proper rhythm and is your alternate picking down pat?

HTH
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 04:51:26 pm »
To add the Sophie's comment. You'll find it easier to play at full speed using alternate picking.
Alternate picking is also a very important skill to have so you should learn how to do it and use it.

Offline Paisley

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 05:28:47 pm »
Hi everyone,
Recently I've started looking at the music theory. And I have some troubles with 'Wanted Dead or Alive'. What is the key of it? It looks like D-something. But is the intro in D dorian? And the verse in D major maybe? Or am I completely wrong?  ???
Thanks in advance

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »
The intro is Dm.  The song proper is in D.  The solos are is pretty much right out of Dm pent. 

It doesn't stay within in a single diatonic scale key.  (Rock and Roll baby!)  D C F G as all major chords don't exist in any key so I'm not sure you can call it any particular mode. 

But the tonal center of the tune is Dmajor.  So D C and G would make D Mixolydian (G major), that is just a statement of fact.  But then along comes the F chord which would want to be an F#mb5 in D Mixolydian.  Crap.

On the other hand, Now if you ignore the pesky little fact that you are playing a D major chord instead of a D minor chord it would be D Dorian.

It's all about the F# in the D major chord, versus the F note in the F major chord later.

The other possible options are less... satisfying... in terms of how many of the chords you are playing exist in the scales.

I would settle on it is rock and roll and breaking rules so we play minor pentatonic in major chords all the time.  Plus both the best options, even though they don't quite fit are cases where minor pentatonic is often used. 

Haven't

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 12:57:14 am »
The intro is Dm.  The song proper is in D.  The solos are is pretty much right out of Dm pent. 

It doesn't stay within in a single diatonic scale key.  (Rock and Roll baby!) 

I'm starting to realize that this is really common. I was thinking that learning some basic music theory was going to make the chord progressions in my favorite songs make a lot of sense. Then I started examining them and nobody stays diatonic! They make stuff major instead of minor (or vice versa) all the time. Outside of Stage 1-3 songs from the BSB, I don't think I've seen a single song stay diatonic. And I suspect Justin may have done some adjustments on some of those songs to make them easier to play. This voyage into music theory has been less useful than I was expecting. Educational yes. Useful, less so.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 07:27:34 am »
SiegeFrog - actually it's massively useful!

LOADS of songs are diatonic (like nearly all RHCP!) and often if there's outside chords out of the key they'll just have one or two, usually something called Secondary Dominants (look up the lesson in jazz area!) and to play on the tunes you'll use major based notes and step out for the SD'd where you'll play chord tones.

Blues is outside the rules, but modern blues (like Ford or Carlton) requires deep theory knowledge!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Paisley

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 10:09:36 am »
Thank you guys for the replies! Seems like it's more complex than I expected... but also more interesting  ;)

Offline Allthesinnerssaints

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 10:39:51 pm »
Hi, I'm learning to play Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi and have a question about picking the intro.

In the lesson he recommends picking down, up, down, up. But I feel more comfortable picking down, down, down, up. Dddu seems more efficient but am I better off sticking with alternate picks dudu so that it flows better similarly to how you keep you strumming arm moving when playing chords? In spite of the three notes moving up strings in a row.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 12:26:16 am »
Justin is a big proponent of alternate picking, so that's what he suggests and what he uses. However, like you, I find it awkward for this passage, so I tend to do something else. Either ddud or dddu. In the end, you have to decide what works for you and what sounds best to your ears.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Get The Forum As A Mobile App