Author Topic: BS-702 • Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi  (Read 31373 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:28:33 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

docal97

Re: BS-702 • Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
Justin:

Great song and lesson!  I can't wait for my songbook to arrive already!

My question is about what you refer in the video to twiddles- basically where you are using a variation of the D chord with a Dsus 2 and 4.  It would be great if you could do a video lesson on this specifically sometime.  In the video, it is a bit hard(for me), to follow what the strumming hand should be doing while the fretting hand is moving thru the d/dsus chords.  It seems like in the video that you are strumming as opposed to outright picking the individual strings, but I think that you may be doing both.  Could you clarify this?  I have watched your lesson on sus chords but it does not quite explain what you are doing in this song.  Thanks!

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:36:01 am »
From watching Justin's little play through at the start (I didn't watch the entire video) it appears that he is mostly picking the strings out in between strums, although I think it was kinda a combination of both picking and strumming.

My suggestion would be to play around with picking and strumming, and see what you think sounds best, since the song should sound pretty much the same either way. When playing sus2/sus4 stuff like on the D, I usually strum just the top couple strings if I want to go for that 'picking' feel rather than just outright strumming. Just mess with it a bit and I think you should be able to get something sounding close to what Justin did in the video.

Hope this helped!

Offline chix2

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:23:03 am »
doca

its just little embelsihments things like that i dont think are ever played in the same way ever twice it just something you feel really, i think (an yes ive been guilty too) we can over analyze stuff to much an get lost an tangled ina fury of this has to be exact. i rember years a go i was tryin to play queen crazy little thing called love, an was like whens he doing the dsus4 on the D, in the end i just though its easier to feel an play along with the record than tryin to crypticaly analize..another song an probly greater example was black or white michael jackson,the contiunes Eriff E E9 i mean if you try an analize that your goin go mad lol its just something you gota feel with an try an emulate. look at how justin had to really think about the strummin for dead or alive it this stuff is hard to write out an its just something weve got to try an initiate ourselfs by listning we get there just takes time an like justin says dont be in to much of rush just be happy to play along with the song we dont have to throu al the frills an thrills in one go.. just be cool look how cool it sounded with just the simple strumin good yes ..  just be cool with that for now, let the song grow as you grow

Offline Beelzebean

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »
Hi,

I was shown how to play the intro riff a while ago, and have been playing it using only my first and second fingers by just slding to the correct frets. I assume that this is a bad habbit and that I should persevere to get the correct fingering? Im sure that I should really but am struggling a bit after playing it quite alot the way that I was shown. Thanks in advance.

joedassin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:45:04 pm »
About strumming and D/Dsus, here is what I could catch :

pattern is : Down, Down, Down-Up-Down, Down, with the following chords : D, D, Dsus4-D-Dsus2, D

I think it is what Justin does at 7.00min

Hope it can help you docal97...

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:42:33 am »
re: fingering of intro - I dunno what Ritchie uses, if it works and sounds good then it's fine.

There's a "picked fingerstyle" lesson in intermediate course which will help with this and there are sus chord lessons in beginners course. Twiddles can be learned but are most often improvised!!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

michaelschutz

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:16:31 am »
Hi Justin, I have a question about the intro (thanks for the superior clarity on showing frets and fingerings!) - you say to do a "down-up-down-up" picking action on the intro. You say it's tricky (and I agree :)) but I'm wondering why you say that instead of a "down-down-up-up" action.

(edit: never mind - I've just watched a few others and my Q is answered - basic picking techniques that my self-taught self didn't know...)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:47:24 am by michaelschutz »

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:49 am »
From watching Justin's little play through at the start (I didn't watch the entire video) it appears that he is mostly picking the strings out in between strums, although I think it was kinda a combination of both picking and strumming.

My suggestion would be to play around with picking and strumming, and see what you think sounds best, since the song should sound pretty much the same either way. When playing sus2/sus4 stuff like on the D, I usually strum just the top couple strings if I want to go for that 'picking' feel rather than just outright strumming. Just mess with it a bit and I think you should be able to get something sounding close to what Justin did in the video.

Hope this helped!

This is pretty much what i did tbh and i got there in the end.
Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

ArsenalOwl

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:30:16 pm »
Hey Justin!  I don't suppose you could write out the strumming pattern here where I could read it?

Offline watsonvillian

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:48:29 am »
Hey Justin if you get some time could you possibly help with the chorus strumming on this song. I think in your video you said you would put it up on the site maybe. If you could that would be brilliant. I am having trouble with it. Thanks.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 07:08:27 am »
Which part is giving you trouble exactly?

Offline watsonvillian

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 08:45:21 am »
well I got the intro down and the verse, which is repetitive. However, for the chorus I was not sure whether the rhythm actually changed. I am still working on being able to pick out rhythms from listening to songs. Mainly does this part:

CHORUS:
C          G        F             D                   
I'm a cowboy , on a steel horse I ride
C         G  F       D
I'm wanted , dead or alive
C     G   F      D
Wanted , dead or alive

have the same rhythm as the verse? If not what is a proper rhythm? The one from the book or the one used for the cadd9, which is a bit different from the g.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08:27 am »
I've been playing this song for quite some time, but must admit I simply improvise the rhythm in the chorus, using some chucking and things like that. I'd have to think long and hard to realise what I'm really doing there ;) I'm not so sure that would be helpful, it's probably more my own thing. But...

Have you checked out some other tutorials for this song? There are about five million of those, and there should be some good ideas of what to do with the chorus in terms of rhythm:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wanted+dead+or+alive+guitar+lesson&oq=wanted+dead+or+alive+guitar+lesson

I wouldn't worry too much about doing it "correctly". When JBJ & RS perform this song, esp. in acoustic sets, they play it differently every single time. Look for something that sounds good to you and do that. This is one of those songs that really comes alive by being not really perfectly played. Imho :)

notalentc1

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 06:34:53 pm »
great teaching, but would be perfect with notes and tabs. can't find them on justin's video! have the been removed?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »
Yes, apparently the nice lawyers insisted on it.

But you can find those on pretty much every major tab website (in varying degrees of quality as usual).

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 248

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:24 am »
@watsonvillian did I not go through it in the video? It's kinda pushed so the changes are not happening on the beat... but I can't recall it exactly right now.

@notalentc1 no tabs on the site for a few years, but I do publish them in songbooks, but for this song it's not a whole tab - just tab for the intro, chords and strumming patterns.

Offline watsonvillian

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 08:43:21 am »
Thanks for replying Justin. That was back in July I asked...about six months after I started. Six months later..I watched the video many more times and got it down pat with the F barre in it now. Funny how I see things now compared to when I first started.

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:20 am »
I am enjoying practicing this song very much, I honestly cant believe that I am able to play it at all.
Two questions;
*Justin suggests picking the intro riff in this sequence; down, up, down, up; as in an exercise in a future lesson. Which lesson is this and why is this suggested?
*The hammer part where Justin hits the A string of the G chord; is that a bit of a hammer/ flick off, just hammering the string is not very loud for me.
Thanks,
LT
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:40:12 am by Lucky Tim »

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
    • Last Chance
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »
Hi Justin, I have a question about the intro (thanks for the superior clarity on showing frets and fingerings!) - you say to do a "down-up-down-up" picking action on the intro. You say it's tricky (and I agree :)) but I'm wondering why you say that instead of a "down-down-up-up" action.

(edit: never mind - I've just watched a few others and my Q is answered - basic picking techniques that my self-taught self didn't know...)

I've got the same question, but would somebody mind giving me the answer? Am I doing it wrong with all Down picks? And more important: why? I've looked but couldn't find an answer.

Thx!
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018, Dearmond By Guild 1998 M75T
Amp: Fender Blues junior III, Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne2

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »
FWIW

Justin teaches that all beginners should first learn to become proficient at alternate picking before learning other types of picking.  If you look at any beginners or intermediate course lesson on picking strings, you'll see they all are taught as alternate picking.

Why?  I find that it's much easier to keep the proper rhythm with alternate picking.  The down strokes are on the down beat and the up strokes are on the up beat.  It's a lot like strumming in that way.

Are you doing it wrong with all down picks?  No, but do you have the proper rhythm and is your alternate picking down pat?

HTH
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 248
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 04:51:26 pm »
To add the Sophie's comment. You'll find it easier to play at full speed using alternate picking.
Alternate picking is also a very important skill to have so you should learn how to do it and use it.

Offline Paisley

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 05:28:47 pm »
Hi everyone,
Recently I've started looking at the music theory. And I have some troubles with 'Wanted Dead or Alive'. What is the key of it? It looks like D-something. But is the intro in D dorian? And the verse in D major maybe? Or am I completely wrong?  ???
Thanks in advance

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »
The intro is Dm.  The song proper is in D.  The solos are is pretty much right out of Dm pent. 

It doesn't stay within in a single diatonic scale key.  (Rock and Roll baby!)  D C F G as all major chords don't exist in any key so I'm not sure you can call it any particular mode. 

But the tonal center of the tune is Dmajor.  So D C and G would make D Mixolydian (G major), that is just a statement of fact.  But then along comes the F chord which would want to be an F#mb5 in D Mixolydian.  Crap.

On the other hand, Now if you ignore the pesky little fact that you are playing a D major chord instead of a D minor chord it would be D Dorian.

It's all about the F# in the D major chord, versus the F note in the F major chord later.

The other possible options are less... satisfying... in terms of how many of the chords you are playing exist in the scales.

I would settle on it is rock and roll and breaking rules so we play minor pentatonic in major chords all the time.  Plus both the best options, even though they don't quite fit are cases where minor pentatonic is often used. 

Haven't

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App