Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0007 - Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton  (Read 10214 times)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 173
    • Point Fifty
Re: Guitar Challenge 0007 - Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 04:09:25 pm »
ok i'm feeling the itch; as soon as my bro gives me back my mic; I'm going to try this

Still awaiting your cover version, Lieven. :)

Yeah I need to do this one day :) damn time flies!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Coda

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 08:14:14 pm »
I hope it's still OK to contribute to this Challenge thread, so here's my version (acoustic guitar, three tracks, took me about 30 mins.)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 07:54:27 am »
nicely done coda
very clean and elegant
:)
also, it is good to get some life in the Challenges area
 8)

Offline Coda

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 01:40:53 pm »
Hi, close2u,
I'm truly grateful for your positive opinion on my playing. As you surely noticed, I'm new to these forums (fora?!) and am gradually getting acquainted with the functionalities, topics, etc. Last night I took a close look at the Challenge section, and decided to take part in Challenge VIII, since I knew how to play this particular song without much rehearsing ;). Grabbed my guitar, plugged in my PC and quickly recorded and mixed three tracks. Too hastily, I now confess, as there are some inaccuracies here and there in either the time or the note played.   :-[ If it sounds at least decent - then it's OK. If it's 'clean and elegant', then 'I'm in heaven...'  ;)

I look forward to having a really good time here, at Justinguitar.

Offline gary_C

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 12:15:33 pm »
Posted this a while ago in the Audio/Video thread, seems to have gone missing though.

Working on a new version of this at the moment.

Follow my Fingerstyle progress on Soundcloud http://www.soundcloud.com/gary_c

Offline Josh Vualk Fowler

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
  • Diligence breeds perfection.
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 11:42:52 pm »
bump

come on folks  - climb aboard!

okay okay i MIGHT do this lol.. Only because i love this song... BUT...

i might take it hard rocky on you guys if i can come up with something i like lol
I want a cool image forum signature :)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 02:05:41 pm »
Well, the Wonderful Tonight Challenge is getting lonely and hasn't had any attention in 5 years. So here is my attempt to bring it back from the dead :-)

I've done this song before and posted in AVOYP - but hopefully did a bit better job of singing this time. It's still a bit high for me but I think I managed some parts a bit better.

performance note: Justin did a really good video this week on the importance of not looking at your hands while playing, so I used this as an opportunity to give that a try, simple  chords and all. Bad habits are hard to break.

Also, seemed like a good opportunity for some whistling  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QiUlCFIRv0
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 04:00:14 pm »
@phx1973 https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=26542.msg429941#msg429941

While you are busy resuscitating this beautiful ballad, Tosh, I am busy trying to get to grips with the picking pattern, either with fingers or pick, that Justin lays out in the beginner song book. Will be a while before I record anything, for now I am killing it but not in the good sense.

I particularly admired the phrasing of the vocal ... while I can strum these open chords and make it sound as OK as I can make something sound, phrasing the verses remains a challenge.

Enjoyed the whistling instead of a guitar lead ... but knowing your electric play maybe you could over-dub the licks with a clean electric tone?

I had a sense at times that the tempo was a little fast, maybe a little rushed? And perhaps a song to strum with a more gentle attack, even a finger strum maybe?

And the next challenge, what is killing me, is that D/F# but if you accent the bass notes it does make a difference.

That aside, good job, thanks for sharing another.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2020, 07:43:08 pm »
Hey Tosh, well done reviving this song after so many years. Amazing that a great song like that can sit unsung for such a long time. There are just so many great tunes to be played. Good job on this one and I also enjoyed the whistling ‘lead’.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline RC23

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 10:45:13 pm »
Good stuff, I enjoyed that.

I did enjoy the whistling touch, something a little different.

I’ve also been eyeing off this song as one to record. Just haven’t quite decided how to do it. Although I generally do a mix of picking and strumming.

Thanks for sharing.

Rod.
Beginner Course (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Standard Strat, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, Joyo JTA-05

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 08:10:25 am »
Well, the Wonderful Tonight Challenge is getting lonely and hasn't had any attention in 5 years. So here is my attempt to bring it back from the dead :-)

Good on ya.
I like the Challenges and am happy that they're receiving some attention, dusting off the cobwebs etc.

... It's still a bit high for me

Here is a challenge for you ... transpose it to a different key that allows you to sing in a slightly lower register more suited to your voice.
1] By finding a key that uses different chord shapes.
2] By finding a key (probably be the same as 1) using the same chord shapes as you have in this video plus a capo.

2] might be easier than 1]

Btw, nice job on this - and on not looking! :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2020, 04:50:40 pm »
I really like what you did with this track. The tune, mood and lyrics were never really in sync on this song (IMHO) -- until you came along and brightened it up. It always seemed too somber and maudlin for the subject matter. Nice re-imagining, happy whistling, etc. Very well done. 

Offline RC23

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2020, 07:32:27 am »
I’ve been playing this on and off for a while, sometimes picking, sometimes strumming, sometimes electric, sometimes acoustic.

Only just started to try and sing it as well, harder than I thought it would be. I find the phrasing quite tricky.

Anyway, here is my version for this point in time.

https://youtu.be/BtcPeQSbqdE

Rod.
Beginner Course (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2020, 08:06:10 am »
@RC23 https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=26542.msg431055#msg431055

Good vibes, Rod, for posting up a "point in time" recording. I think too often we hold back waiting until we can produced a more polished performance and I reckon there is value in doing it this way.  And then coming back later when one can peform the song better. I think it helps to free us from that burden of unhelpful perfectionism and becoming more comfortable in the process of learning with friends.

You are well on your way with the picking and playing. Picked up the walk down bass on the G-D-Em progression.

Like you, I found the phrasing of this one especially difficult when I first learned to strum the song, maybe Dec 2018. I really couldn't get the words of the second half of the first two lines of each verse out at all.  Like JWC says, singing can be learned just like playing, and while I haven't invested practice time on singing, just the act of playing and singing songs, recording and posting here, as led to significant improvements in my singing. So was really chuffed to be able to play and sing this one in the set I posted yesterday.

So keep at it, and when you come back to this again in due course, I am certain you will be able to deliver an even better performance.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2020, 08:29:41 am »
@RC23
David has described really well the good in your post here Rod. A 'moment in time' capture that will inform your learning and allow you to chart your progress.
In terms of the phrasing ... be aware that the four lines that being each line of the verse start at the count of 3 ... although the timings are not rigid as the singing is slightly loose ... but listen to the original track, do the counting 1, 2, 3, 4 and listen for the drum snare hit on 3

1     2     3     4
            It's late ...
            She's wondering ...
            She puts ...
            And brushes ...

Offline RC23

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2020, 09:46:44 am »
@RC23 https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=26542.msg431055#msg431055

Good vibes, Rod, for posting up a "point in time" recording. I think too often we hold back waiting until we can produced a more polished performance and I reckon there is value in doing it this way.  And then coming back later when one can peform the song better. I think it helps to free us from that burden of unhelpful perfectionism and becoming more comfortable in the process of learning with friends.

You are well on your way with the picking and playing. Picked up the walk down bass on the G-D-Em progression.

Like you, I found the phrasing of this one especially difficult when I first learned to strum the song, maybe Dec 2018. I really couldn't get the words of the second half of the first two lines of each verse out at all.  Like JWC says, singing can be learned just like playing, and while I haven't invested practice time on singing, just the act of playing and singing songs, recording and posting here, as led to significant improvements in my singing. So was really chuffed to be able to play and sing this one in the set I posted yesterday.

So keep at it, and when you come back to this again in due course, I am certain you will be able to deliver an even better performance.

Thank you David, really appreciate you listening and commenting. I don’t think I have too much trouble playing this (without singing) either strumming all the way through or the picking all the way through. Switching between them makes it harder to keep the timing but there is no way I can sing it while picking that pattern.

I saw JWC’s comments and I hope he’s right that practice of singing will help improve. But I guess I can’t really expect too much when I’ve been actively avoiding singing for well over 50 years and only decided to really try 2 or 3 months ago.

And I will be coming back to this.

@RC23
David has described really well the good in your post here Rod. A 'moment in time' capture that will inform your learning and allow you to chart your progress.
In terms of the phrasing ... be aware that the four lines that being each line of the verse start at the count of 3 ... although the timings are not rigid as the singing is slightly loose ... but listen to the original track, do the counting 1, 2, 3, 4 and listen for the drum snare hit on 3

1     2     3     4
            It's late ...
            She's wondering ...
            She puts ...
            And brushes ...

Thank you Richard,

I just went and strummed along and sang those verses using your guidelines and all fitted better straight away
I think after remembering chords, timing, words, getting the phrasing as well is just a struggle sometimes.

Rod.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2020, 11:54:20 pm »
@RC23 - Hey Rod sorry I missed this until now.  Wow, some really solid guitar playing there.   Singing and playing, and in particular Eric Clapton songs have always been way too difficult for me to coordinate and this is one of those songs!  Reading through the comments I think you're getting good advice re the singing.  Your guitar playing though is very good and all I can say is great job , thanks for posting and I look forward to hopefully seeing you perform this one again one day!
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline RC23

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2020, 08:28:51 am »
@RC23 - Hey Rod sorry I missed this until now.  Wow, some really solid guitar playing there.   Singing and playing, and in particular Eric Clapton songs have always been way too difficult for me to coordinate and this is one of those songs!  Reading through the comments I think you're getting good advice re the singing.  Your guitar playing though is very good and all I can say is great job , thanks for posting and I look forward to hopefully seeing you perform this one again one day!

Thanks Alex, really appreciate you listening and commenting. 
I really like the Clapton stuff so I’m certainly persisting with this. Working on it on the Strat, aiming to be able play and sing all the way through using the picking pattern and also work the solo in there. Richard’s tips have been invaluable but it’s going to take a bit more work.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App