Author Topic: What is in it? Contents / Format etc  (Read 90053 times)

Offline humblebee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: What is in it? Contents / Format etc
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2020, 04:18:59 pm »
I use the Music Speed Changer App for my song practicing. The app usually gives a fairly accurate tempo for the song you select to play. It's available on playstore

Offline brandolee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2020, 11:48:58 pm »
I bought Justin's Beginner's Songbook and have question about chord changes within a bar.
I understand that chords change on 1 if one chord per bar and 1 and 3 if there are two chords per bar.  However sometimes he lists 3 chords.  When do the changes happen?   Here is an example:

|G D Em|

Breedlove Discovery Concert Acoustic in Mahogany
Ibanez AX120 Electric

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2020, 08:06:28 am »
It probably means you are play a single note of G on 1 a single note on D and then two notes on EM (or a combination of these). Justin will usually cover this in the song OR you might have to listen to the song to work it out...there aren't too many combinations so it should be possible. What's the song? I suspect I've done it before.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2020, 10:21:31 am »
As Rossco says, listen to the song.

Possibilities are limited.

| G  G  D  Em  |

|  G  D  D  Em  |

|  G  D  Em  Em  |

Offline brandolee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2020, 05:05:29 pm »
I couldn't find the GDEm example I gave but California Dreamin' is one.  I'll listen to the song.  Just thought there was something I might have been missing.     
Breedlove Discovery Concert Acoustic in Mahogany
Ibanez AX120 Electric

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2020, 07:04:43 pm »
Yes, if you listen to the original you’ll get the rhythm and timing. I don’t know what stage you’re at but I have to say that CD isn’t the easiest of songs!
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2020, 07:17:20 pm »
California Dreaming is a tricky song for all sorts of reasons. It's definitely a good idea to watch Justin's specific lesson for this which is here >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPQSPCGEq_U

In this particular case the intro which is all about the Am&A chord really but you are using suspended chords Asus2 and Asus4 to add some "flavour". Not quite like the other examples that you talked about as it's a picked pattern to get that unique intro sound for the song.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1

Offline David Betsworth

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2021, 07:21:45 pm »
I have both the above book and the Beginners Course book and have recently started to learn and therefore new to the forum!! I’m finding that playing the songs and practicing the chords relevant to Stages 1 and 2 already are a challenge.....some of the chords are shown within the bars however many of the chords shown above the lyrics etc are not within bars so I don’t when to start the downstrum or how many downstrums I should be doing per chord?!? Thanks for any help

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:00 pm »
I have both the above book and the Beginners Course book and have recently started to learn and therefore new to the forum!! I’m finding that playing the songs and practicing the chords relevant to Stages 1 and 2 already are a challenge.....some of the chords are shown within the bars however many of the chords shown above the lyrics etc are not within bars so I don’t when to start the downstrum or how many downstrums I should be doing per chord?!? Thanks for any help

Best way is go to Justin’s website or YouTube and watch his song tutorials. Whilst all songbook videos aren’t there many are.
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2021, 08:43:33 pm »
Most of songs will be played in 4:4 time so each chords has four downstrums. If two chords are between bars then it’s usually two strums on the first chord and two on the second chord. Anything different e.g some of the strumming patterns are pumping 8 (8 downstrums) or even 16th note patterns. Justin generally covers these on the following page

Offline Martinharv

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2021, 11:26:20 am »
Hi I'm on Stage 1, I got my guitar for Christmas. I'm at the end of lesson 3 (Em,Am). I bought the songbook but don't "get" how the songs are fomatted. It would be a massive help of there was something showing the bars rather than just the chord above the lyrics.
My question is how do I know how many bars there are for each chord. Example in 3 little birds 2nd line, D is over "cause every" and then A over "right" . So how many bars are there of D before the change to A. I obviously don't mind drawing them as I think it will help I just need to know how to work it out. I hope the question makes sense.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 653
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2021, 11:59:15 am »
Hi Martin.
It is always recommended to listen to the song / watch the videos (if Justin has done a lesson and / or playalong).

See if this helps:

Intro
|  1  2  3  4  |  1  2  3  4  |  1  2  3  4  |  1  2  3  4  |
|  A  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |

Chorus
|  1  2  3  4  |  1  2  3  4  |  1  2  3  4  |  1  2  3  4  |
|  D  /  /  /  |  D  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |

Verse
|  A  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |  E  /  /  /  |  E  /  /  /  |
|  A  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |  D  /  /  /  |  D /  /  /  |
|  A  /  /  /  |  A  /  /  /  |  E  /  /  /  |  E  /  /  /  |

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2021, 02:15:29 pm »
Hi I'm on Stage 1, I got my guitar for Christmas. I'm at the end of lesson 3 (Em,Am). I bought the songbook but don't "get" how the songs are fomatted. It would be a massive help of there was something showing the bars rather than just the chord above the lyrics.
My question is how do I know how many bars there are for each chord. Example in 3 little birds 2nd line, D is over "cause every" and then A over "right" . So how many bars are there of D before the change to A. I obviously don't mind drawing them as I think it will help I just need to know how to work it out. I hope the question makes sense.
The Justin Guitar app is very helpful and worth the cost. You will find a couple of different ways to be led through playing the songs and you can augment that by watching his videos on his website or YouTube.

Offline mysteray

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2021, 03:49:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

I got a question regarding the barlines for the song 'Wild Thing'. How these lines are to be interpreted in general has been asked and answered many times before, so I reckon, I get that. But to make sure, we're on the same page, if there is a chord symbol without any barlines, that should mean you play that chord for 4 beats (one measure), right?

I just can't make sense of the notation regarding this song for the chorus and the verses. Are the barlines missing here, or is there some kind of logic behind this?

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2021, 07:17:19 pm »
Hi there mysteray.  Listen to the original. All will become clear(er).
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline mysteray

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2021, 08:54:21 am »
Hi there mysteray.  Listen to the original. All will become clear(er).

Hey sairfingers,
I think I play it right. It's generally two chords in a bar (The way it's written in link2 for instance). Was just wondering, why there are no vertical barlines after every other chord letter in this case. Is there some kind of logic behind this? I just find it confusing, that we have those barlines written out for the links and intro but not the chorus.

Offline GreenPeterNot

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2021, 08:34:13 am »
Hi ...newbie back again. In Justin.s Beginner Song book, some of the songs have phrases with small vertical lines around them but then they disappear in the rest of the song with chord shapes just being above specific words. How on earth do you fit the strumming pattern in if you dont know where it should begin and end? In some songs J just says do 4 downstrums where you see each chord above a word but this doesnt work when the chord changes appear next to adjacent or nr adjacent words. Am I going daft? Why doesnt J just put those small vert lines throughout the pieces so you know where the strum pattern begins and ends for each bar? It.s so hard trying to guess this. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline guitarben

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2021, 11:09:18 am »
It seems that counting the beats is what you struggle with. The lines tell you which beat the chord changes are on, so if it's the same thing there is no need to repeat it. The 4 downstrums are a good way to get used to the timing of the song and get comfortable with the chord changes before adding a more complex rhythm.

Justin explains it better than I can:

Start with 1 strum per bar: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/bars-strumming-on-1-b1-111

Then strum each beat: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/strumming-on-the-beat-b1-205

Then you can add upstrums between beats: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/counting-ands-b1-305

While these videos will answer what you're asking here, I would strongly recommend that you follow the course in order.

Also, each song in the songbook has a video on the site in which Justin explains how to play along with the original recording, starting with a basic rhythm and gradually building it up.

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2021, 11:31:31 am »
I had the same struggle when I was in the first few months last year into the guitar. I even tried to put in all the “missing” lines and chord over the tabs.

The tool helped me most is the JustinGuitar App. It helps me establish the feeling of the beats and rhythm and the correlation. I played hundreds of songs in the app in just two months. Actually I  don’t realize from when I won’t care about those missing lines and chords anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App