Author Topic: BS-304 • Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison  (Read 40352 times)

Offline Melsie

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: BS-304 • Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 12:48:55 pm »
Hey Rossco, the riff is constructed using triads, which in this context means chords played on just three of the strings. You won't learn them in depth until the intermediate course. Even when you're playing only one or two strings at a time, there's still a chord progression in the background. I believe the riff starts on a G triad so that's why you see the G there.

When you're using tab, you want to play all of the strings that have a number on them in the same vertical line. So I think with this riff it starts on the first and second strings only, so don't play the rest of the strings at that time - play only the ones that are not blank and strum/pick once. For the timing, you need to listen to the original or watch Justin's video because he usually counts it out. I think it's explained near the end of the video.
I don't remember exactly what it is, but I think it's something like this across the four bars:
1 2 3&4
1 2 3&4
1 2 3&4
1    3&4

Then for the rest of the song you are mostly using the 'old faithful' strumming patterns i.e. D DU UD.

I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking, so please ask again if anything is not clear or I missed something. This is a fun song to play, good luck with it. :)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:19 pm »
Melsie, my description might have been a bit out but you got exactly what I needed in terms of an explanation so thank you. I haven't done anything on triads etc. yet so I guess that explains things. You're explanation on how to approach strumming/picking makes sense and I'll have another listen to Justins video and then try it again. Still a song I'm learning given the level I was at but was intrigued by what it said in the book.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:02 am »
I assume you mean where he is doing the build up on the D chord before the chorus?  I believe he is playing straight eighth notes, starting softly and getting louder as a build up before the chorus.  So '1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and' ... for two bars I think.

Shadow

I'm struggling with this. I can play it as DUDUDUDU with the proper foot tapping, or I can play it as DDDDDDDD with my foot tapping on every down strum, but playing it as you described seems beyond me. The thing is after a lot of practice I can play the Baby One More Time with that pattern and the correct foot motion, but there, the whole song has the same rhythm. This switching the rhythm in mid song and then back again seems to be messing with my head, hand, and foot. Any suggestions?
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 02:13:16 am »
Count it. Out loud. Slowly. Foot taps on 1, 2, 3, 4, but not the "ands".

Everything always come sown to slowing down and counting. Out loud.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Declan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 10:22:46 am »
 Justin you are a great teacher. I have come on great with you. But I can't understand why both your fingers are in the 3rd fret when you play the G chord at the beginning of BROWN EYED GIRL. Then you teach us another way in the lesson. I understand the different fingering but not the different fret. I am confused

Offline avadon

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 10:44:15 am »
Hi Declan and welcome to the forum.

Justin doesn't use first and 2nd finger in the same fret. The way he plays the G chord is the following:

3x0003 , with the first finger he presses down the 6th string (thickest) where he also mutes the 5th string with the same finger, and obviously he plays the 1st string with the fourth finger (pinky, little). His 2nd finger is always in the air when he plays the G chord. At least from what saw in the beginning of the video..

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 12:23:17 pm »
That's correct; Justin often leaves the low B out of his G chords because he says it makes them sound "muddy".

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 10:14:47 am »
To play a G Chord you only need play the notes G B and D in any order.

If you play: 320003 you play GBDGBG
If you play: 320033 you play GBDGDG
If you play: 3x0003 you play GxDGBG

They're all essential the same and can be interchanged as you like, they sound a little different so you can chose one over another because of sound, ease of fingering or just cos you feel like it!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
    • Last Chance
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 11:50:31 am »
I like to add the following:

On Stage 8 Justin does a lesson on G Chord variantions ;-)

Explaining BigG, RockG and FolkG; as he likes to call them.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-181-GchordVar-chord.php
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard HP 2018, Dearmond By Guild 1998 M75T
Amp: Fender Blues junior III, Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne2

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 09:49:06 pm »
Everybody knows the G/C/D thing and the intro lick, but there's a lead guitar part running non stop through the song as well. I've got a Guitar Pro version of the song, but trying to follow that blue dot on the fretboard, even slowed down, is enough to drive me mad (MAD! I Tell You!!!). That's before you even start to wonder how accurate the transcription is (a tough job listening for the single notes with the full chords played over the top of them).

I know they're riffs off the chords with a few scale things and double stops here and there. Anyone know any good lesson for that part?
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 11:28:47 pm »
Have you tried Songsterr?
Click where it says acoustic guitar, select electric guitar and mute all the other instruments.
Don't know how accurate it is but it sound right. It's midi so the guitar sound is really sh!tty

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/van-morrison-brown-eyed-girl-tab-s309t1

Offline illiden90

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 03:23:05 pm »
i think ( i could be wrong) the lead is playing arpeggio notes of triads of the original chords in the rhythym and in the begining he is probably playing the whole triad shapes rather than arpeggiating, justins lesson on triads was talking about this song because it used triads to make a second guitar part so thats it really, i suggest you play the triads and try arpeggiating or playing whole the triad and use your ears to figure out the lead bit, it would be more difficult but more rewarding really, its a great concept (using triads to write a solo) one which i wish i am a master of but am trying
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:33:47 pm by illiden90 »
"He said, for a nominal service charge,
I could reach Nirvana t'nite"
frank zappa

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 09:19:53 pm »
i think ( i could be wrong) the lead is playing arpeggio notes of triads of the original chords in the rhythym and in the begining he is probably playing the whole triad shapes rather than arpeggiating, justins lesson on triads was talking about this song because it used triads to make a second guitar part so thats it really, i suggest you play the triads and try arpeggiating or playing whole the triad and use your ears to figure out the lead bit, it would be more difficult but more rewarding really, its a great concept (using triads to write a solo) one which i wish i am a master of but am trying

I remember Justin suggesting playing triads along with the lead in the beginning, saying the riff was 'sparse' on its own, which really confused me - other than the bass and some light percussion that's all that's being played on the record. The rhythm guitar doesn't come in until that riff is over.

From what I've seen on the two transcriptions I now have I'm kind of getting a feel for it. There's a repeating double stop riff that it keeps going back to (in this case playing the 1st and 3rd strings together), with single line stuff in between and some chords during the bridge.

The good thing is it's not hard to keep track of what chord is being played over :)  On the guitar pro version I have, if you pull off the "lyric" and rhythm tracks (so you have lead, bass, and drums), it still sounds like brown eyed girl, so it does follow the chords for the most part.

I don't know that you'd recognize it if you just heard the lead out of the blue (sans the signature intro riff), but I think it would sound familiar, even if you couldn't quite place it.

Edit: This is the best I've found of it. Yeah, he's lip synching, but at least he looks ashamed to be doing it   :-\

I'm becoming convinced the intro riff is pinched rather than strummed. Fits the rest of the lead style as well.

* And bonus for the uncensored lyrics. Amazing how radio stations today can get bent out of shape over stuff that was okay fifty years ago.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:56:20 pm by mouser9169 »
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline dave9621

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »
I'm a beginner and I'm struggling with the intro riff of Brown Eyed Girl. Justin plays this intro with a cutaway acoustic guitar so that he can get all the way up the neck to the highest frets. I have a regular acoustic so I can't get to the highest frets, I can possible stretch my fingers like that. Is there a way of playing this on a regular acoustic? I tried using a capo, but that won't work for the rest of the song. I tried starting it further down the neck but that doesn't sound right either. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Dave

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 06:42:46 am »

Offline BagoBagyo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2015, 09:48:09 am »
I've been playing guitar for about a month now and started Justin's lessons 3 weeks ago. I'm referencing Justin's songbook, and I'm trying to sing while playing but don't know how to synchronize my down strums to their corresponding lyric. The book only shows the approximate chord change points. Any tips on how to figure out out? I'm trying to watch Justin's strumming while listening but it's a little too fast.

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2015, 04:14:53 pm »
@ BagoBagyo

Welcome to the guitar playing world.  Sounds like things are going well being just 3 weeks in and ready to add vocals.  That really is a big step and not an easy one.

From my experience, having played now for about 2.5 years, trying to(IE thinking about) synchronize strumming and singing doesn't really work.  Singing along is more about feel and takes time to develop.  Some take a long time to "get it" while others it comes quicker.  If I recall correctly I think I was around Brown Eyed Girl when I started to get a handle on being able to sing and play. First step is to make sure you can play the song without having to think about chords or changes, it should be instinctual(maybe you've already done that :) ) then move onto trying to sing the tune. What worked for me was to first try to just hum the melody as I played the song and then work up to the lyrics.  After a bit, like many things with guitar, it will just click and you'll find yourself able just sing along with almost any of the beginner songs you decide to play.

As you advance in the course you will of course play more complex songs.  Harder strumming patterns, finger style picking etc with complicated rhythms.  In these cases I still find myself reverting to humming the melody first and then adding the lyrics after.

Vocals will come, stick with it :)

My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2015, 04:17:41 pm »
BEG is a super tough one to sing while playing. It basically comes down to having the playing down so pat it's on autopilot and takes no thought at all. The changes and strums just do not line up tightly with the lyrics. If you try to sync the lyrics to the strumming it will sound stiff. If you do the reverse it will screw up your rhythm.

Offline BagoBagyo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2015, 03:50:02 am »
Thanks for the feedback Sweed77 and Borodog. I know Justin's beginner's BEG is only 4 chords, but when I was able to play along late last night to his signing, I got so stoked and thought, hey maybe I can do that too (totally disregarding the fact that I have a hard enough time just singing to pop songs on the radio).
Justin sure makes it all look easy. Ill work on getting the playing on auto first...and I better work on the signing in key too. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2015, 07:36:57 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, I'm on the Intermediate course, and attempting to sing along while playing to even the most simple of songs is pretty much guaranteed to result in me losing all ability to keep a rhythm going.
I do keep trying, and there is marginal improvement, but certainly not anywhere near anything I'd risk for public exposure!

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2016, 02:44:33 pm »
Quick question: at 2:24 Justin starts playing the song as his standard 4-down strumming, and I'm trying to get more comfortable using a metronome with playing - does anyone know roughly what the BPM he is playing at?  It seems faster than 60 BPM, but my sense of rhythm was never great and I'd like to set my metronome to match him.  TIA.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2016, 03:00:49 pm »
Quick question: at 2:24 Justin starts playing the song as his standard 4-down strumming, and I'm trying to get more comfortable using a metronome with playing - does anyone know roughly what the BPM he is playing at?  It seems faster than 60 BPM, but my sense of rhythm was never great and I'd like to set my metronome to match him.  TIA.

I make it ~72bpm using my trusty Korg KDM2's click beat function.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2016, 04:31:36 pm »
I'm trying to get more comfortable using a metronome with playing

It really doesn't matter what BPM Justin is playing what matters is what speed do you feel comfortable
playing at. If you can keep up with Justin with out any mistakes then try joueur de guitare suggestion
of 72. If your struggling to keep up slow it down to a speed you can play with no/few mistake.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:22 pm »
A good question .... you can play everything an octave lower ... not quite true to the original ... but definitely good ... and an easy lead in to the open chords for a lone guitar.

e---------------------0--1--3--1--0--------------------------------------------
B--0--1--3--1--0------1--3--5--3--1----0--1--3--1--0--------------------------
G--0--2--4--2--0-----------------------0--2--4--2--0--------2-----0--2-----------
D-----------------------------------------------------------0--4----------------

This is perfect. Thankyou Close. I'd started the laborious (for me) task of writing the tab then had the gumption to look here. I like the sound of the original more, but I don't have a cutaway guitar. Good vibe to you. Gosh, just looked at the date of your post. You've been around for so long, helping so many, thankyou.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2017, 05:17:30 pm »
I finally got a hold of the sheet music for BEG and the bpm is listed at...gasp, 148!  That's like techno or EDM.  Definitely one of the faster played songs in the SB.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App