Author Topic: BS-304 • Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison  (Read 39786 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:10:29 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline ipoo2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: BS-304 • Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »
Cheers for the lesson, as good as always  :)

My only question. The opening riff, the second section that starts on the 12th fret. What if I don't own a cutaway guitar!!

Any alternatives?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:27:23 pm »
A good question .... you can play everything an octave lower ... not quite true to the original ... but definitely good ... and an easy lead in to the open chords for a lone guitar.

e---------------------0--1--3--1--0--------------------------------------------
B--0--1--3--1--0------1--3--5--3--1----0--1--3--1--0--------------------------
G--0--2--4--2--0-----------------------0--2--4--2--0--------2-----0--2-----------
D-----------------------------------------------------------0--4----------------

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:45 pm »
It might be known as the dusty end, but if you're determined it's entirely possible to play past the heel on an un-cut acoustic.
needless to say you have to get your thumb out from behind the neck so you have to apply pressure other ways, though because your over the body it doesn't take much.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline ipoo2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:40:35 am »
Cheers Dudes,   :)

I think close2u idea is a good quick fix.

I also like Tourniquet's too - I might even go up and over the neck! It would sound good, I may even have more area to balance the thumb and (more importantly!) it would look cool!!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »
I actually thought this song intro was played in 6ths ... but I trust Justin's transcribing ear so now take it as being in 3rds.
That said, it works and sounds great in 6ths and you don't need to go as high on the neck.
If you don't know, 3rds and 6ths are inversions of each other. So playing it this way has you playing exactly the same notes, but the highest/lowest notes for each pair are inverted.

e------------------------8--10--12--10--8------------------------------------------------
B--8--10--12--10--8----------------------------8--10--12--10--8-------10--7--8--10-------
G------------------------9--10--12--10--9-------------------------------------------------
D--9--10--12--10--9----------------------------9--10--12--10--9-------10--7--------------

Note, the 1st section, repeated as the 3rd section, can be played on the e and G strings starting at fret 3 / 4 respectively.
The only 'difference' is in the last section ... the 7th fret sixth comprises notes A and F#.  Justin has these two notes as D and A on the 7th and 10th frets of the G and B strings respectively.
The difference in sound is not massive though.
D, A, F# are the notes of tehD Major triad chord playing underneath this section.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »
Can someone explain what exactly that F is doing in the second and sixth bars of the intro? It sounds great, but is not in the key of G major. Does it work because the key of the song is somewhat ambiguous and/or changes? There are parts of the song that sound like they are in G and other parts that sound like they are in C. So that third with the F in it (DF) is a G7/D diad in the key of C. 

Thanks.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:16 pm »
Excellent question Borodog!!

The F is a renegade :)

I played it with an F# for my whole life until we did this book and my editor Tom wrote it as an F and I sent him a note to edit it - he said listen to the record!!! And we was right.

It is theoretically completely wrong - but it didn't stop the song being a HUGE hit that will be with us for many many years!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:17:17 am »
The opening riff, the second section that starts on the 12th fret. What if I don't own a cutaway guitar!!

Instead of useing index- and ringfinger I use index- and middlefinger to play the second section of the intro. It works for me.

gryan

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:45:28 am »
Is the riff played will all down-strums? It's hard for my ear to tell whether it matters or not.

Offline chix2

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:13 am »
i play it with all downs myself i dont think it maters thou. i find it easier to do downstrums  casue its quite quick an trickyish patern, i actualy find the intro to the bon jovi song easier to do than this one, but hey what ever gets the job done

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 06:06:38 pm »
The pattern for the intro bits is just 1& & &4, so if you just keep your hand moving it's DU U UD. If find that easier, but you have to concentrate on not hitting the G string, or having it muted, or both.

Offline Gibbon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »
Is it ok to play the intro with finger 1+2 instead of 1+2 then 1+3, cause don't own a cutaway guitar and doing the 17th fret is really hard with finger 3 but seem doable with finger 2?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:34:16 pm »
Is it ok to play the intro with finger 1+2 instead of 1+2 then 1+3, cause don't own a cutaway guitar and doing the 17th fret is really hard with finger 3 but seem doable with finger 2?

Absolutely. Fingerings are just a guide to make things easier to play.
If your hands or your guitar make a different fingering easier or more comfortable, use it.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 06:44:19 am »
... doing the 17th fret is really hard ..

read posts above for alternatives

Offline ipoo2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 11:20:54 am »
... doing the 17th fret is really hard ..

read posts above for alternatives

close2u is correct and the first tab (an octave up) worked wonders for me and sounds great. That was until I brought a cutaway. Hey, any excuse  ;)

fosterjam14

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 07:21:55 pm »
Just a general note on eighth note strumming.  If you imagine a string tied between your pick and the toe of your foot every time your foot taps down it pulls your pick down and every time your pick goes up it pulls your foot up. 

Offline jmorgans

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 06:10:14 pm »

I am visually impaired, old and not very tech savy but when I got the book at the beginning of December I loved it. I work at things a little slower than most but once I get through it I usually have a good grasp the book helps me grasp things quicker.
 I do have a stupid question; I saw some sheet music for Brown Eyed Girl and it showed the same cords that you have in the book at 4/4 time but it also stated 150 tempo. Is their any way we can determine what tempo the song's should be played aqt or is tempo based on the type of notes?

example"
whole
1/2
1/4
1/8
1/16
1/32...

I hope this is posted in the right area I'm not good at this yet.

Regard John

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 08:23:59 am »
You hear correctly. It's extremely common to connect two "D du ud" patterns with an u on the last "and" of the measure (the last up-motion before you play the D on 1).

Don't get too fixated on blindly following a specific strum pattern. The idea is to play the rhythm, and there's lots of room to improvise and to make your playing more interesting. And that's exactly what Justin is doing here. Not too long from now it will have become instinctual and it will take you a lot of concentration to avoid things like that ;)

adidasfreek

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 11:34:40 am »
Hello, wondering if anyone knows the strum pattern for what Justin is doing on the 'd' chord, been trying to figure it out. It doesn't sound the same as the rest of the strumming pattern.

Thanks

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 12:15:36 am »
I assume you mean where he is doing the build up on the D chord before the chorus?  I believe he is playing straight eighth notes, starting softly and getting louder as a build up before the chorus.  So '1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and' ... for two bars I think.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline FPS

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 06:30:35 pm »
Hi all,

I have quick question on timing the beginning of this song.

The first chord (G) seems to be played before the word "hey..."  Does that mean I make one downstrum and then start singing?

Whatever I do yet, I don't really get into the first line.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 09:12:20 pm »
Yes, the first G of the verse preceeds the vocal. It's a matter of having bothe the guitar and the vocal so automated that you don't have to think about either. If you don't you will find yourself tying the vocal to the beat in an unnatural way, or thinking to hard and losing the rhythm or missing chord changes.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 12:28:54 pm »
Original version of the song?  Chords all on the 1 of each measure, below are the first two lines with two measures on each line.    Count the strums, come in on the third strum.

1         &         2         &        3         &         4         &        1         &       2        &      3      &      4       &
G                                                                                  C
                                        Hey   where    did       we        go.......o
G                                                                                   D
                                days            when    the     rain                 came

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 08:41:13 am »
I'm currently learning this song from the beginners book and noticed the Riff on the second page. However I'm not actually quite sure how to read this. I understand the basic tab notation i.e. where it says 7 on a particular string it means put your finger on that string. So I'm assuming (please confirm) that given on this riff most beats? have two number at the same time that I strum once (I assume all strings) and then move onto the next one so it's all single strums one after the other? I'm also not quite clear on why above the bar is the chord name e.g. I think on the first bar it says G but you then play a series of strums as indicated on the TAB.

I'm sure the explanation is simple to someone experienced so help would be appreciated.

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App