Author Topic: Which condenser mic to get?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
  • The Crown only fits my head hence I am King.
Which condenser mic to get?
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:04:02 am »
I am upgrading my studio condenser mic. I have been using a cheap Apex 435 which costs me around $60 from amazon.com.   I use the mic for vocal recording as I plug acoustic guitars to the amp. Now I have my eye on 2 mics. Both are under US$200. The first one is:

MXL V87 Condenser Microphone
http://www.music123.com/Pro-Audio/Microphones/Condenser-Microphones/V87-Condenser-Microphone.site7sku279506000000000.sku?src=ZTP1GE&audienceId=37154035&tiid=9773

One thing that I like with this mic is it has a custom metal pop filter. The downside it hasn't got a case not even a soft bag but then again I don't use it for travel so I won't be carrying this around. It will remain on the mic stand all the time.

The second one is:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-AKG-Perception-220-Condenser-Mic-Shcokmount-Case-/260659033065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb07d33e9

The goo side is it has a hard shell case.

Can anyone give me any advice which one to get or any other mic under US$200?
Gear:
Cole Clark FL2AC, Mini Maton EML/6, La Patrie Concert CW QI (classical guitar made by Godin), Fender Hau'oli (Tenor ukulele), Yamaha RBX-270-bass, Ibanez AEB10E-acoustic bass

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Which condenser mic to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »
Check out the C3 or perhaps MC3

http://kaminstruments.com/studio-mics.htm
Gone

JB12890

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »
I have an MXL 990, and it's awesome. From experience, I would definitely recommend the MXL.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »
CAD M179. There.
Continuously variable multi-pattern, -10dB pad, HF filter. With a nice case, shockmount and hardmount included.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:03:19 am »
I am no pro so I don't expect professional level sound recording that costs lots of money. I record songs to post on Youtube. At the moment I use my Apex 435 with a Behringer 1202FX mixer and a Boss Pro CL-50 limiter/compressor/gate connected to the line in input of my desktop. Here is an example of my recent recording after using the mic for around a year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0AFc-nJGE

Some sound buffs who seem to really know about this subject matter on recording gear and studio condenser mics gave some advise to stick with my $60 Apex 435 if I simply want to get another condenser mic that is in the $150-350 price range because there won't be any real noticeable sound difference if just want to record to post on Youtube. They told me I won't get any much improvement in sound in that Youtube recording link above. What da ya think guys? Save my money and don't bother? I must admit I only get a studio condenser mic for aesthetic reasons to look cool and professional on Youtube. I wouldn't be able to detect any subtle sound differences unless the sound difference is really massive. They told for a sound difference that really matters I better save some money and get a condenser mic that is above $600. Now I am beginning to think maybe I should just get this cool metal pop filter and attach it to my Apex 435:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220609708561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is around $47 plus $13 for shipping to Australia with a make an offer function. Another one is on auction with a reserve which has not been met yet at $9. Save my money and simply improvise with the looks of my current mic with this accessory or go for a new mic like the MXL V87 which has a cool metal custom pop filter or the AKG Perception which has a hardshell case.
Gear:
Cole Clark FL2AC, Mini Maton EML/6, La Patrie Concert CW QI (classical guitar made by Godin), Fender Hau'oli (Tenor ukulele), Yamaha RBX-270-bass, Ibanez AEB10E-acoustic bass

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 02:03:11 pm »
In that case I'd agree - save the money. I do need slightly decent gear because I do record for production purposes. ;)
Production and mixing

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:36:43 am »
I succumbed to temptation and made a US$220 offer which includes free standard international shipping of the AKG Perception 420 which is multi-pattern with three selectable polar patterns: cardioid, omnidirectional or figure-eight – allow a wide range of stereo miking techniques and ambient recording. It also has a switchable bass cut filter and 155 db SPL capability. It comes with a hard shell case and spider type shock mount. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380342821487&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Gear:

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:24:15 pm »
I think the CAD M179 gets more praise for it's money's worth anyway.
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 02:41:08 pm »
Unless you bought 2 of them, you will not get Stereo.

Gone

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:04:18 pm »
Someone told me vocals are mostly meant to be in the center anyway and not stereo.
Gear:

Get The Forum As A Mobile App