Author Topic: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp  (Read 22381 times)

Offline OzzieDave

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »
Q/ why do you 'need' to sing this
Q/ why does it have to sound like a copy of the original
This is very early in the whole 'learn guitar' thing, lots more songs left in the world.
My singing used to sound like a wounded cow until I stopped trying to sound like my heroes and settled for sounding like me which I am told is close to a young Jonny Cash but with an Australian accent 8) just a pity I'm not into country ::)
It's never to late to have a happy childhood!

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 10:16:59 pm »
Q/ why do you 'need' to sing this
Q/ why does it have to sound like a copy of the original
A/ because, alas, I do not have a female soprano friend who would always follow me around and sing whenever I play guitar :(
A/ because it sounds cool, it creates dynamics when the song begins slower/lower/quieter and then builds up.

A wounded cow :D I have a (dis)advantage, compared to other newbies, of being able to hear whether the notes sung are in the chord or not, probably because I've been always tuning my guitar to itself with a pitch fork as a reference instead of just using a tuner. So when I start singing like a wounded cow, which I surely do, I just shut up and post a question here :D

I tried singing Common People in the same octave yesterday. It surely sounds better than when I tried to reach that G4, but it sounds... different. On the upside, I get this cool vibration in my head from when you sing in harmony with the guitar and actually hit the notes.

It's a good advice, thank you, I'll think about it.

P.S.: if you want to mock yourself a little, either record yourself singing or hold a plastic folder / sheet of paper / your hands before your ears when you sing, as deflectors. For a reason beyond me, this will cause you to hear the sound of your voice transmitted through the air only, and not the sound of your voice vibrating in your skull. That's how others hear you. Chances are, you won't find your voice very similar to the voice of Jonny Cash, maybe teenage Jonny Cash :D Give it a try, it's funny (and sad).

Offline nox

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »
hi everybody,

thirst of all thanks for the cool webite and the forum. Im really enjoying the course so far.
But i have a question to this song.

if you have a look in the songbook at the end of the first verse you see that there is one bar of "A" at the end. After that verse2 begins which means to me that i should play 4 bars of "A" again. So this would be 5 bars of "A".
But it seems to me that there are 6 bars of "A" when i listen to the original song.

Am i right or what do you think?

thanks and cheers
nox

Offline Bissrok

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 03:46:36 pm »
I have a question that's related to the one above. Is there chord progression from Verse 1 repeated in it's entirety for the other verses?

Some of the verses are 11 lines, some are 10, and Verse 4 is 6 lines, so I was getting confused.

Offline FrankCobretti

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 03:13:51 am »
I get confused here, too.  Can anyone legally post an annotation of the whole song, with chords noted the same way they are for the first verse?  I'm writing in pencil in my songbook, but I don't think I'm getting it right - even when I play along with the YouTube recording of the original.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 379
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:51 am »
  Can anyone legally post an annotation of the whole song,

Not here I'm afraid.

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:40 am »
Ok, a question here: people mention bars and chords and the likes. I'm a very mathematical person. I like to see something written in front of me rather than just try to remember/react at this moment in time. Yet I can't find any chords. Do they exist at all?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • What on earth was I going to do???
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 09:02:37 am »
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 09:11:19 am »
I know this song has three chords, D A and E. But the order of the chords throughout the song is what I'm missing, really. I can play various exercising changing chords fairly quickly (about 35-40/minute) but I can't currently listen to the music, chose the right chord and move my fingers. It's too much multitasking for me :P

Get The Forum As A Mobile App