Author Topic: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp  (Read 30202 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
BS-110 • Common People - Pulp
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:40:31 pm »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:13:07 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

chacho

Re: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:48 pm »
Hi Justin
Love the Pulp song lesson.
With the capo on the third fret, I have a smaller space to cram my fingers in for the A chord.
I have always used the traditional fingering for the A chord ( 3 fingers in a row).
Question:should I use your A fingering as shown in the lesson or would it be best to use the one finger barred A and if so what finger should I use ( first, index or ring).

Cheers Chacho

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:09:21 am »
You could try playing it without the capo with open chords C, G, and F and throwing in a G7.

That's how I've always played it anyways.

chacho

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:20 am »
You could try playing it without the capo with open chords C, G, and F and throwing in a G7.

That's how I've always played it anyways.

Thanks irishalkies for the alternative.
I've tried playing with the c chord but It sounds better to me with the capo.
Any other peeps having trouble with placing your fingers for the A chord with the capo.

ShigenoriM

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:57:37 am »
Hi, I am not sure this is a good way to do it, but as I watched Justine's video, I wrote down chords in order like this ..

A E A E D A E. Now I just have to strum 16 times each.

Played the actual song as I looked down on my paper and just strummed these chords 16 times each. Fine so far, but now, I have a difficulty of playing along with the song without looking at the paper. I did the same thing with other songs like Johnny B Good, Walk of Life, etc.

How can I learn the chords order without having have to write them down ?? I know ears must learn it... but I am having a difficulty.  

Offline chix2

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:14:05 am »
hi shig

how long have you been tryin to play it, it dose take time to let everything sink in its just repution youl get there we all look at the paper or music to begin with then we listen to the recordin an we just get feelin for it, everythigns hard at first but when your used to it, it becoes easier an more natrual you'l just feel it an things will be good

jimrob1957

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »
LOL...I have exactley the same problems as Shig, i suppose it takes practice  ;D

joo

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:22:10 pm »
Hi ..
First .. want to thank each person share any help for stundets here ..
And second .. I want to ask qu. :

I don't have capo !!
What can I do ??

And what about if I play the song with the original courds that justin learn us ??

What is the differents between if I play with the original courds .. And if I play with capo ??

Thanks ..

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 08:01:27 pm »
You can play without a capo and you'll just be an a different key to the original (can't play along).
It's worth getting one but until you do you can try using a pencil and a strong rubber band as a makeshift one.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

joo

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »
OMG ...
see this vedio .. And told me your comment !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9jdm_5aho

She use the courds : 'E' then 'A' then 'G'  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is defferents between her and justin ?!?!?!?!

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 11:49:09 pm »
OMG ...
see this vedio .. And told me your comment !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9jdm_5aho

She use the courds : 'E' then 'A' then 'G'  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is defferents between her and justin ?!?!?!?!

No Capo and a different strumming pattern - both use I, V, IV chords - but no material difference at all.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

joo

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 12:51:46 am »
what doeas it mean  " both use I, V, IV chords "

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 02:09:25 am »
I, V, IV relates to the chord number in a key.

The key of A major:

I = Amaj
ii = Bmin
iii = C#min
IV = Dmaj
V = Emaj
vi = F#min
vii = G#dim

Key of D major:

I = Dmaj
ii = Emin
iii = F#min
IV = Gmaj
V = Amaj
vi = Bmin
vii = C#dim

You quoted she used E, A & G - if you look again you will see she acually uses D, A & G.

So whilst Justin doesn't actually play in the key of A because of the capo position (it is actually 3 semitones higher than A, i.e. C) - but for simplicity let's call it A because of the shapes it uses.

You can see that that it is a simple key transposition using the I, V, IV chords. NB Major chords always use uppercase Roman Numerals, Minor and Diminished lowercase.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:08:44 am by Bootstrap »

joo

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »
thanks for your heed of my qu.
But I still want you to explaine :
How can I play the same songs with different courds :
if justin play it without capo ..
He will use chourds as her :  D , A , G
Or He will play as :  A , D , E

please explaine to me that ..
can we play the same song with differents courds ?

and please tell me the effect of capo ?
why we use capo ??

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:45 pm »
please explain to me that ..
can we play the same song with different chords ?

and please tell me the effect of capo ?
why we use capo ??

You can play the same song in a different key (musical term) which means that the chords will be different.

A capo transposes the open chords you play on the guitar to a different key.

You use a capo because it allows you to easily transpose the chords that you know, and can play, into the original key of a song (or a key that suits your singing voice).

HTH

Andy

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:40 pm »
Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

All these songs are played using the SAME 4 chords - they would not have been written in the same key, but because they were written using the same chord progression ie I, V, vi, IV and that means they can all be transposed to the same key.

You can play any song in any key as long as you follow the numbering I showed you in the post 3 back.

Hope that helps your understanding.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
@ShigenoriM

learning curve progressions to memory is just practice. The more you do it the better you'll get a visual, and learning songs for a reason e.g. band practice or something like that, is also really good way of forcing your brain to memorise information.

Another thing that you should try is to revisit the song every couple of weeks. There's something about a revisit that helps move the song into a long-term memory, I think of it kinda like the hard drive you - you wanna store all of your songs on the hard drive long term and when you actually want to a play it you need to move into your RAM where (which is the short term memory) so you can actually remember the tune. It normally takes me a play or two the move songs from my "hard drive" into my RAM I can actually play them :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Matthew_Hall

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:30 pm »
You can play without a capo and you'll just be an a different key to the original (can't play along).
It's worth getting one but until you do you can try using a pencil and a strong rubber band as a makeshift one.
i have tride a pencil and rubber band as a capo it works ok for all the string apart from but the E (6th string ) isnt held down and moves about. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this. Apart from buying a capo.

Offline _Avalon_

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »
i have tride a pencil and rubber band as a capo it works ok for all the string apart from but the E (6th string ) isnt held down and moves about. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this. Apart from buying a capo.

It seems your rubber band isn't tight enough, or the pencil is not in a good position. For what it's worth, when I don't have a capo, I just use a lace, which I tighten sufficiently enough to work!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 05:12:32 pm »
The problem is, that on most guitars the fingerboards has a slight rounding to them (that's what the radius of the fingerboard is about). That's why the pencil doesn't alway work - it won't bend enough.

Be careful not to tighten your makeshift-capo too much. You don't want to break something.

You can get a real capo for less then €2,-

Think about it.

NorCalMike

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 07:26:54 pm »
With respect to the A chord for this song, Justin recommends muting the low E with your thumb due to the fast strum pattern. However, I can't seem to get this no matter how hard I try without muting the high E with my hand. (smallish hands).

Anyone else had this issue and find a solution?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 08:39:08 pm »
Hard to tell without a photo - but try altering your wrist angle - the more parallel (to the fretboard) your wrist/forearm the more hand clearance you will achieve on the high e. Also experiment with the angle your wrist is bent at - the more bent the better the clearance, but the more bent the harder it is to get your thumb over the top - you need to find the spot that is the best compromise for the two.

And remember you are only muting, so you only need enough thumb over the top to touch the string - not play it.

Good luck dude. :)

PS - welcome to the forum.

Offline benigan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:52 am »
Love this song and am trying to learn it.  I purchased the Justin Guitar Beginner's Songbook and it's great.  The chords are indicated for the first verse.  But it's very hard to fit them into the subsequent verses because the words scan differently on the lines.  Can anyone provide help?  Thanks.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 11:50:50 am »
I assume you've watched the lesson  http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BS-110-CommonPeople-Pulp.php  and know it's four bars of A, four bars of E, etc...

It might help if you got a copy of the song, slowed it down so you can play along, and then played along with the song.  There are several pieces of software that will slow the song down without changing the pitch.

HTH
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:44 am »
Hi guys, I need your help.

I'm pretty cool with playing this song in the C with a capo (like Justin), in the C without a capo, in the A, etc. If only I had to just play it, it would be sweet! ...but I have to SING it too :) So that's what I'm after.

My singing range would be probably somewhere between G#2 and D4 (I know it's bad, I'm working on it too), and I'm not even entirely comfortable with the bottom and the top of this range in actual songs.

Question 1: That's my main question. What the hell is going on after the second chorus?! "Rent a flat above a shop, cut your hair and get a job...". In the key of C, I can sing the song perfectly up to this point, and I LOVE it (I think I sing it an octave lower in this key)... but right here, on "Rent a flat...", I can't figure out what the vocalist (Jarvis) does! Does he start singing higher? It seems like he starts "crying", but since I can't seem to sing along with him properly, perhaps he changes the pitch too :(

Question 2: If I change the key of the song down to make the "Rent a flat..." bit easier, I should change it to A, right? So just play like Justin without a capo?

Again, I like it in C more, so I hope someone knows what's that "Rent a flat..." bit is all about, so maybe I can learn to sing it in C :) Perhaps if you told me the notes the vocalist sings, so I know where they are relative to my range?

Question 3: On a different note, I remember Justin saying that Fmaj7 can be played instead of F in the key of C, but in this song, when played with open chords (C-G-F), Fmaj7 sounds a little weird, no? Or it doesn't sound weird?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:20:59 am by 1old3 »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App