Author Topic: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp  (Read 29868 times)

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
Re: BS-110 • Common People - Pulp
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 09:35:01 am »
This help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgQ1VmeELtw

Or this? http://steampunkopera.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/the-10-best-falsetto-songs/ (Which is just an excuse to put Israel Kamakawiwo’ole's Somewhere Over The Rainbow on here)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:53 am »
My singing range would be probably somewhere between G#2 and D4

You can get the sheet music for it here for a few £ (and you can often pick up useful information from the sample page):

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0111107

In the description, it says "Voice, range: B3-G5" which is pretty wide! My singing teacher tells me that the *most* a man can hope to get is a two octave range (without going to falsetto).

Tricky song!

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 11:44:08 am »
This help?
Cheers, mate, but falsetto is a whole different story, and the Pulp's vocalist doesn't use it :) I'll link you to a video explaining what falsetto is. It's by the guy whose program I use, he's great at explaining this kinda things. I can't post a link, so here's the ending of the YouTube clip's URL: Jtcp6yBb-nk. By the way, I love Over the Rainbow too :) However, even though I'm not an expert, I don't think he uses falsetto either. He sounds pretty "connected", it's more like simply a light head voice.

Either way, I can sing Common People without falsetto, it's just that it's not comfortable, and I don't get what happens at the "Rent a flat..." bit.

In the description, it says "Voice, range: B3-G5" which is pretty wide! My singing teacher tells me that the *most* a man can hope to get is a two octave range (without going to falsetto).
Yeah, man, I'm pretty sure that most non-castrati males can never dream about singing G5, and Jarvis definitely doesn't sing it. Tenors have A4 at the higher end :) G5 is just a few notes short from being out of reach of guitar itself. I think he sings an octave lower than this too.

Otherwise, it's a useful site, thanks. I found something similar that doesn't charge you anything, check out Jellynote.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:11:11 pm by 1old3 »

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:52 pm »
Ah well - you live and learn. When I took singing lessons - about fifty years ago - I don't recall anyone making that distinction. And what I hear there is Cocker breaking into a David Bowie style falsetto.

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:49 pm »
As to Common People, I found a full music sheet, and my fears were right. At "Rent a flat above a shop...", according to this transcription, Jarvis goes a whole octave up! That explains why the chords don't change and why I can't sing there easily. I start off with E3, a lovely note right in the middle of my range, but after the second chorus I need to sing E4 and even G4 all the time :( Even if we transpose it to A, E4 will become C#4, which is not too bad, but G4 will still become E4. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if it's any better in the key of A :)

With respect to the A chord for this song, Justin recommends muting the low E with your thumb due to the fast strum pattern...
On this note, does anyone know whether I should attempt muting the 6th string with my second finger when I play a mini-bar with my first? It seems to work, but I need to be careful not to touch the 5th string, which is supposed to be open.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:13:15 pm by 1old3 »

Offline OzzieDave

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 05:47:59 pm »
Q/ why do you 'need' to sing this
Q/ why does it have to sound like a copy of the original
This is very early in the whole 'learn guitar' thing, lots more songs left in the world.
My singing used to sound like a wounded cow until I stopped trying to sound like my heroes and settled for sounding like me which I am told is close to a young Jonny Cash but with an Australian accent 8) just a pity I'm not into country ::)
It's never to late to have a happy childhood!

Offline 1old3

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 10:16:59 pm »
Q/ why do you 'need' to sing this
Q/ why does it have to sound like a copy of the original
A/ because, alas, I do not have a female soprano friend who would always follow me around and sing whenever I play guitar :(
A/ because it sounds cool, it creates dynamics when the song begins slower/lower/quieter and then builds up.

A wounded cow :D I have a (dis)advantage, compared to other newbies, of being able to hear whether the notes sung are in the chord or not, probably because I've been always tuning my guitar to itself with a pitch fork as a reference instead of just using a tuner. So when I start singing like a wounded cow, which I surely do, I just shut up and post a question here :D

I tried singing Common People in the same octave yesterday. It surely sounds better than when I tried to reach that G4, but it sounds... different. On the upside, I get this cool vibration in my head from when you sing in harmony with the guitar and actually hit the notes.

It's a good advice, thank you, I'll think about it.

P.S.: if you want to mock yourself a little, either record yourself singing or hold a plastic folder / sheet of paper / your hands before your ears when you sing, as deflectors. For a reason beyond me, this will cause you to hear the sound of your voice transmitted through the air only, and not the sound of your voice vibrating in your skull. That's how others hear you. Chances are, you won't find your voice very similar to the voice of Jonny Cash, maybe teenage Jonny Cash :D Give it a try, it's funny (and sad).

Offline nox

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »
hi everybody,

thirst of all thanks for the cool webite and the forum. Im really enjoying the course so far.
But i have a question to this song.

if you have a look in the songbook at the end of the first verse you see that there is one bar of "A" at the end. After that verse2 begins which means to me that i should play 4 bars of "A" again. So this would be 5 bars of "A".
But it seems to me that there are 6 bars of "A" when i listen to the original song.

Am i right or what do you think?

thanks and cheers
nox

Offline Bissrok

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 03:46:36 pm »
I have a question that's related to the one above. Is there chord progression from Verse 1 repeated in it's entirety for the other verses?

Some of the verses are 11 lines, some are 10, and Verse 4 is 6 lines, so I was getting confused.

Offline FrankCobretti

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 03:13:51 am »
I get confused here, too.  Can anyone legally post an annotation of the whole song, with chords noted the same way they are for the first verse?  I'm writing in pencil in my songbook, but I don't think I'm getting it right - even when I play along with the YouTube recording of the original.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:51 am »
  Can anyone legally post an annotation of the whole song,

Not here I'm afraid.

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:40 am »
Ok, a question here: people mention bars and chords and the likes. I'm a very mathematical person. I like to see something written in front of me rather than just try to remember/react at this moment in time. Yet I can't find any chords. Do they exist at all?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 177
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 09:02:37 am »
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 09:11:19 am »
I know this song has three chords, D A and E. But the order of the chords throughout the song is what I'm missing, really. I can play various exercising changing chords fairly quickly (about 35-40/minute) but I can't currently listen to the music, chose the right chord and move my fingers. It's too much multitasking for me :P

Get The Forum As A Mobile App