Author Topic: Help me write/compose  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Yogen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Help me write/compose
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:58:57 am »
I've been thinking and trying to compose on my guitar something gloomy, sad, most depressive, in the ways of depressive black metal, shoegaze or post rock/black metal. The problem is I really can't, most I can come up with are thrash and black metal riffs, but I can't really work out any nice melodic riffs.

I have no theorical ideas whatsoever, been trying to work on an Amin scale, but don't really know what to do, could you please help me out? ???

curry chips97

Re: Help me write/compose
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:59:32 pm »
When i cant think of a nice melodic riff, i would just constantly listen to the sortof style im after and try to take inspiration from that. if that doesnt work i would learn a long that i like the riff of and try and do something the same

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:43:14 am »
Check out the dorian mode.  It's kinda gloomy.

Offline Yogen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »
Thank you, I'll check it out. Yeah' I've been listening more and more and trying to find riffs with a similar feeling to riffs from songs I like, it kind of works, but sometimes it can sound very similar.

Could I get more tips on "building it", all I the info I get are based on chords progressions, is there a way to apply this or I need a different approach? Also, tips on how the verses, intro and outros should be from a theoric look? Thank you

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »
Try grabbing a riff you like and playing it backwards, upside down, anything just to get some different phrasing sounds out of the same set of notes.  Try different rhythmic pulses.  Try throwing some math into it and breaking down the measures and seeing all the different ways you can break up the piece.  Try playing as many different intervals as you can stemming from one note (A to A#, A to B, A to C, then backwards).  Put on a drum loop and pick one drum from the set (snare/tom/kick) and make your root note hit only when it hits.

Sometimes, taking a more analytical look at things can help spur the imagination.

Sometimes just throwing all the rules out the window and just playing mindless notes will do it.

I don't think I answered the question.

curry chips97

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »
Sometimes just throwing all the rules out the window and just playing mindless notes will do it.

Exactly wat i do  ;D

Offline Yogen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 07:56:40 am »
Never actually thought about playing along with "drums", guess I'll try and program a bit of drumming first, maybe it works. After all, I think in DSBM/shoegaze or postblack, drumming is esential and gives it that melancholic and beautiful sound. And all that technical stuff really looks worth a try, I'll get on it. THX!  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App