Author Topic: Johnny cash covers  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Kane

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Johnny cash covers
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:31 am »
Excellent work T :)
quote ; If it sounds like s*** it is s*** ..."

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 09:34:26 am »
The drawback of a single mic setup, can't balance levels in post. I'll go back to two mic  ;).
yeah. If you've got two mic's, definitely use them.
What model is your ovation, Tourni? They've got a nice tone when plugged in, but after playing on a real acoustic, i find they seriously lack tone now. They're nice for a one mic set up though, as they're not so loud they completely drown out the vocals. I'm gonna sell mine though once i get my dread. As i don't see myself playing it anymore after that. I already barely play it now. I've been lucky enough to have access to a really gorgeous sounding Alvarez PD91S (http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?SeriesID=3&ItemID=166), and after playing that, i find the tone of the Ovation just sounds thin and empty in comparison. Yeah it's like trying to compare apples to oranges. But i never realised what i was missing out on until i played the Martin D15M in the shop and then the Alvarez that a friend of mine was given.

You've inspired me to learn Hurt though now. It's a great song and one that fell off my radar. But your recording put it back on there, and hopefully i can do it as much justice as you have done.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:44:37 am »
What model is your ovation, Tourni?

It's a gear4music own brand I put stainless steel 10 gauge strings on. Might sacrifice tone a little but I'd rather have playability any day as it's a general purpose guitar.

Look forward to your take on "Hurt"
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 10:55:36 am »
you have a cool voice! I love the song hurt covered by Cash, but it's almost impossible to get such a baritone voice + emotion in it.
Still great cover ;)

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 01:31:18 pm »
Hey Tourni - I finally got around to listening to these - loved 'em - particularly Ghost Riders :)
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:19:17 pm »
What model is your ovation, Tourni?

It's a gear4music own brand I put stainless steel 10 gauge strings on. Might sacrifice tone a little but I'd rather have playability any day as it's a general purpose guitar.

Look forward to your take on "Hurt"
wow, i just took a look at that gear4music site. Those are _exactly_ the same as an Ovation. Even the headstock shape is the same exact shape it looks like. I see a lawsuit looming for them if they're not careful. That's why i thought you were playing an Ovation, lol. I've come to the conclusion those rounded bowl backs don't do the guitar any favours in terms of tone. It seems to lose so much. Which is a shame, as my Ovation is plenty playable. But i just don't enjoy the sound of it unplugged anymore.

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 08:29:47 pm »
Good job, Tourni.

"Hurt" is a great song, and my pick of your two covers. Would've liked a go at covering that myself - my kind of lyrics/feel.

All the best,

Digger

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 09:54:30 pm »
"I hung my head" & "Wichita lineman" added to the first post

Have returned to a two mic setup (three technically as I'm also using the camcorder mic as a room mic). Still a lot of bleed between the two main mics but they are at least better positioned for their intended sources.

Glad y'all like what I've done so far.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:32:57 pm by Tourniquet »
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Get The Forum As A Mobile App