Author Topic: What scale is this?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
What scale is this?
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »
While fiddling around on what notes fit into a song I'm writing for a solo I found this collection of notes:

F G Ab B C# D Eb

The whole song thus far stay strictly in the minor pentatonic, the melody, the riffs, solos up til now, the bass line.  It's all strictly F minor pentatonic.  But this progression of notes sounds great over it.  I'm thinking it's something simple like F minor but I just don't know.\

Someone mind squaring me away?

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
Re: What scale is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »
If you make the C# a C you have a G harmonic minor

it's not far form the hexatonix (6 instead of 6 tones) prometheus scale
F G A B D D#

Prometheus scale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexatonic_scale#Prometheus_scale
Main article: Mystic chord

The Prometheus scale is so called because of its prominent use in Alexander Scriabin's symphonic poem Prometheus: The Poem of Fire. Scriabin himself called this set of pitches, voiced as the simultaneity (in ascending order) C F♯ B♭ E A D the "mystic chord". Others have referred to it as the "Promethean chord".
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »
I forgot to put this in the original post.  I played a little bit in the scale and recorded it to give an aural clue to help figure this out.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/LrptSOcb/scale.html

You're right, it does sound very mystic.  I have never heard of this scale before.  There are 7 notes in the scale though.  I can kinda find all the notes that belong all over the guitar neck.  I was just hoping maybe Justin had a lesson on it.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:23 pm »
Add the note A and you will have Eb Arabian, an 8 note scale.
Gone

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »
Add the note A and you will have Eb Arabian, an 8 note scale.

Is it like a mode?  I remember watching a video with Bunny Brunel where he talked about one of the modes sounding kinda Arabian.

joshs

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:36:51 pm »
The playing sounds cool, but it sounds like you're throwing bluesy, conventional western riffs in the middle of something more exotic. Which isn't necessarily bad, but to my ears sounds funny. Like if I was listening to an actor doing a Middle Eastern accent and suddenly slip into an American accent for a couple of syllables. It may be that you're mixing licks from different scales, which would explain how you'd end up with such a funny array of notes :-) Or maybe it sounds completely different in context.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 03:22:06 am »
I think I found it.  It might be the Dorian Mode as Justin talks about it here:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-012-BluesScales.php

It seems to fit the shape and I must have found it by trying to stretch out the standard blues scale a little more and trying to make is sound more bluesy.  Though I might have got some notes wrong but I think this is it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App