Author Topic: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training  (Read 7738 times)

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 09:01:49 pm »
Alright then. I'll PM when I have something.

Thanks!

Offline MartinL

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »
Okay. Why do the wav files have to be in stereo? I just wonder as you "normally" record in mono. I recorded two chords in Audacity and my recordings are in mono. Not a big deal to convert them to stereo anyway.

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 09:40:53 pm »
The library I use for compression has this limitation. I didn't had time to dig into it to see what I need to change to support mono and it's not high on my priority list.

mattywarr

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 11:54:11 pm »
OK, I've had a play, and I like :) It works very well. Perfect companion to the beginners course JUSTIN excercise. I must admit the ear training is an area I kind of avoid, much like transcribing (I know, shun me)

This is great for the purpose. A couple of points.

1. When I downloaded the file, it had a zip extension. I had to remove it to make it an exe, which would then launch. Not a major problem, but if the ZIP file extension isn't associated properly (Winzip would have opened it, for example) or associated with Windows explorer (Like it is on my Win 7) then it wouldn't work.

Secondly, I'd recommend having different banks of recording for the same chord. For example, when distinguishing between Em and E, its easy, because there are only 2 options. If you have 3 different versions of Em and E though and it selects them randomly, while the chord is the same, the tone may be a bit different - just like it would be when transcribing.

Also, some excercises I did with a few chords (The excercise with A D E G C) Only 2 chords came up! I think there needs to be a way that certainly for the first 7 stages, each chord comes up at least once during the randomiser.

But I like :) Its shown I can do more by ear than I thought and has tempted me to try a bit of transcribing at the weekend!

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 07:03:45 am »
Hi there,

About your suggestions:

1). It appears you are right, although it never happened on my systems seems I messed up the Content-Type. Anyway I ditched that whole streamed download stuff and switched to a standard direct link download. Shouldn't cause anymore issues.

2). Cool idea and I also thought about doing something like this, and it might actually happen ;)

3). This is tricky. The first version just used a simple "shuffle" algorithm (the way you shuffle a pack of cards) on  the defined chords list. But it was too easy, because you could guess some chords by the elimination process.
Current version picks randomly from the chord list until the xx number of exercises is reached. This means there's a chance that from 20 exercises all are D chords... That's the way of randomness :)

But you have a great point and I agree it's annoying and I'll think of some way of improving this.

Thanks!

mattywarr

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:49 am »
3). This is tricky. The first version just used a simple "shuffle" algorithm (the way you shuffle a pack of cards) on  the defined chords list. But it was too easy, because you could guess some chords by the elimination process.
Current version picks randomly from the chord list until the xx number of exercises is reached. This means there's a chance that from 20 exercises all are D chords... That's the way of randomness :)

But you have a great point and I agree it's annoying and I'll think of some way of improving this.

Thanks!

Everyone likes a challenge :-D

Then again, maybe the point is mooted once you have the "Different versions of the same chord", as that adds to the challenge anyway, and ultimately it is up to the user if they want to try it again to get some different ones, or put together a custom lesson (Nice idea). You can lead a horse to water but you can;t make them drink it!

schep

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 12:15:20 pm »
Just stumbled onto your site for the first time
& am waiting for the download!
unreal...thanks for all your hard work

standalone is the go
on the laptop anywhere, anytime, all the time

Many Thanks
as I need all the help I can get with this ear training thing!

ozzyshep

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:58 am »
Thanks Schep! I hope you find it useful.

I finally got around to make an attempt at CPR exercises.

Download version 0.4.0

For those that want to know what's this all about without the hassle of download & install checkout these youtube demos:

GCET Chord Progression Demo

GCET - How to create CPR Exercises

Please note: I didn't have time to create CPR lessons. Please create your own! It's very simple ;)

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 11:33:35 pm »
how's the project going? recently i've downloaded the latest version and i have a few tips:

1. it says "go to configuration -> lesson manager" but actually in menu it's called "manage lessons"
2. if i choose more than 10 exercises the lesson progress counter displays only one digit so after first ten exercises it's like restarted and kinda confusing
3. what about going to the next exercise by pressing e.g. space bar? i think it would be a little bit more comfortable than going with mouse cursor up and down everytime, especially when you work on a laptop :P generally i think that some hotkeys for basic options would be useful
4. the sample for E chord sounds like power chord, i can't hear the top strings at all
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 07:14:16 pm »
Thanks for reporting this. ATM I have a very important project in progress (+3 months baby :D ) so, I don't do much moonlighting  these days.

1, 2 & 3 will be fixed (+ other goodies) in the next release, which I have no idea when it will be :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 07:04:59 pm »
 dude, you done a really great job with that website :)

I will get some links when I'm updating my website over the coming months...  but I gotta be honest with you, I'm building a very similar kind of app, which of course I would like to sell!

if you fancy working with me on this thing, drop me an e-mail to the address on the website, and I'll ever think of a few ways that we might be the work on this is a joint project if you're interested in making a standalone app, moving up a gear or 2,  and get a graphically working with the website.

great work :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Mr Wessen

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 05:49:42 pm »
Thanks Schep! I hope you find it useful.

I finally got around to make an attempt at CPR exercises.

newbielink:http://chords.btanase.ro/index.php/page/download [nonactive]

For those that want to know what's this all about without the hassle of download & install checkout these youtube demos:

newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yBKBYLaxbU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL [nonactive]

newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3164U84vJ-8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL [nonactive]

Please note: I didn't have time to create CPR lessons. Please create your own! It's very simple ;)
Thanks for making this.  :)

Catbot

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:22 pm »
New here, found this thread and immediately jumped to download the app, just a heads up, google chrome browser tried to discourage me from downloading/installing it by telling me that it was a malicious executable.

But me being the fearless individual I am, I went ahead with the download anyway and would like to allay any fears that others using chrome may have regarding the safety of this program.

Thanks for the great app!

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 04:41:24 pm »
Thanks for the vote of trust :)

I'm a Chrome user too and I don't remember getting any warnings (but maybe I've disabled them). Can you send me a screenshot with that warning?

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 02:33:00 pm »
Is anyone using the recording feature?

I want to switch to mp3 or ogg for different reasons, but encoding in any of these AND preserving cross-platform it's a xx--xx :(

So, is it worth keeping?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App