Author Topic: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training  (Read 17909 times)

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »
I'm glad you like it!

Yes, I'm from Romania.

Offline Oddo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 04:23:51 pm »
I'm also from Romania.It's nice to know that a fellow countryman has done such a great job in helping the others to learn guitar.

jgalak

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2012, 04:55:26 am »
Thanks for the awesome program!  Really helped.

Any chance of an iOS version?  I use my ipad as a headphone amp (via iRig and AmpliTube), and have to either keep switching headphones between the pc for the program and the ipad for the guitar, or just play the guitar unplugged, which changes the sound enough to make it much tougher for my completely untrained ears....

Thanks again,
Juliean.

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:22 am »
Hi Julien,

I'm afraid an iOS port is not planned. I *might* consider doing an Android app if there's enough demand  for it but for iOS the development costs are too high (need to own a Mac, learn new language, buy iPhone/iPad to test stuff, etc).

jgalak

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2012, 02:53:20 pm »
While I've never written software for iOs (my programming days ended long before iOS existed), I don't think you need to own a Mac to develop - there are several development options for the PC, with Flash being the best known.  Still, you do need to buy an iOS device for testing.

As to the language thing, there appear to be several options out there for running Java on iOS, no idea how well they work (a google search revealed codenameone and Appcelerator's Titanium Mobile API as possible options).

Oh well, here's hoping.

Offline thomasa88

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »
This program seems really nice, and I managed to start it on Linux by untarring the mac tar.gz and running the install.jar.

Seems you got the crossplatform functionality done correctly, because the sounds play fine  :D

A note to others who want to run it on Linux. With Sun JDK 1.6 there was an exception thrown when the windows were rendering, resulting in hundreds of error dialogs. Anyway, I had IcedTea 7 (fork/open source version for Java 1.7?) installed also, and it worked great!

(Exception was:
2012-12-30 21:53:17,803 FATAL MyUncaughtExceptionHandler:24 - Uncaught exception!
java.lang.ClassCastException: javax.swing.JTextPane cannot be cast to javax.swing.AbstractButton
        at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBorders$ButtonBorder.paintOceanBorder(MetalBorders.java:94)
        at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBorders$ButtonBorder.paintBorder(MetalBorders.java:68)
<veeery long nested stacktrace>)

joshs

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2012, 09:47:17 pm »
Oh, I have this app installed. Didn't realize there was a thread on it here :-) First off, works great in Linux. Same install process as just mentioned. Might want to distribute this in a non install version for linux, so you can just untar the thing and go.

BTW, I'm confused about how to use this. The first chord plays and I have no context, how am I supposed to tell what chord it is? Shouldn't there be a cadence played maybe even just play the root chord first?

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2012, 07:35:10 am »
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know it "sort of" works on Linux too. I'll try to see if I can find a fix to work with Sun Jdk also...

@joshs
This is meant to be used when following Justin's Beginner Course, not a standalone "ear training" software. There are plenty of those out there :)

It's mostly an improvement on this type of practice http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-118-JUSTINstage1.php

Offline thomasa88

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2012, 11:56:54 am »
I'm a big keyboard user and I would really like having shortcut keys for answering. I see that C might collide with the Clue button and it's kinda hard with D Dsus2 Dsus4 to have D as a shortcut. But maybe the buttons could be numbered/have numbers above them? Then one could press the corresponding number on the keyboard.

I installed Oracle JDK 1.7.0.10 and started your program. Got no problems at a quick glance, so I think your program might just not work with Java 6.

I will need to hunt down some more sets or create some of my own, since I find that I learn the actual recordings :P

edit.

I found that sometimes I will get two differenth chords playing after each other when pressing P. It sounds to me that they sometimes come from both sets (I only have the acoustic button enabled). This bug appears after finishing one lesson and then opening it again. This only happens when pressing the P key, not using the button. If I don't finish the lesson, but just close it, the bug does not appear. It also does not appear if I choose to restart the lesson, instead of going back to the lesson index.

Going back to lesson index a second time, the chords now play 3 times on each button press. Going back to index again, they play 4 times. I guess the reason I heard an electric chord was because I used it during the previous lesson session.

Have you forgotten to remove a listener? If so, it's interesting that noone seen it before. I'm using the Mac version, version 1.1.4.

Trying to trigger the bug faster, I set the first lesson (Stage 1 SSR) to only have 1 question. Got this exception when trying to start it. The lesson works if setting it to have 2 questions.
13:45:47,370 FATAL MyUncaughtExceptionHandler:19 - Uncaught exception!
java.util.NoSuchElementException
        at java.util.LinkedList.removeFirst(LinkedList.java:268)
        at java.util.LinkedList.pop(LinkedList.java:799)
        at ro.btanase.chordlearning.frames.LessonSSRFrame.startNextExercise(LessonSSRFrame.java:416)
        at ro.btanase.chordlearning.frames.LessonSSRFrame.initModels(LessonSSRFrame.java:407)
        at ro.btanase.chordlearning.frames.LessonSSRFrame.<init>(LessonSSRFrame.java:256)
        at ro.btanase.chordlearning.frames.ApplicationMainWindow.onBtnStartTestActionPerformed(ApplicationMainWindow.java:320)
        at ro.btanase.chordlearning.frames.ApplicationMainWindow.access$7(ApplicationMainWindow.java:309)
        at ro.btanase.chordlearning.frames.ApplicationMainWindow$9.actionPerformed(ApplicationMainWindow.java:213)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2018)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2341)
<java framework calls>

edit.
Forgot to say that the following message is repeated 2 times when the chords are played 2 times and so on.
13:59:37,964 DEBUG LessonSSRFrame:525 - Play button programmatically clicked
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:00:48 pm by thomasa88 »

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »
Keyboard shortcut for answers it's already implemented. Press 1-0 (those above the letters) to trigger answers.

I'm a big keyboard user and I would really like having shortcut keys for answering. I see that C might collide with the Clue button and it's kinda hard with D Dsus2 Dsus4 to have D as a shortcut. But maybe the buttons could be numbered/have numbers above them? Then one could press the corresponding number on the keyboard.

Yeap, you're right about the bugs, just tested now using keyboard only. It does look like some listeners going wild.

I don't have my dev env handy to look through it, but after the holidays I'll fix this and update here when I have a new release.

Thanks for reporting!

Offline thomasa88

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »
Great! I should have read the docs  :-[

Your welcome  ;)

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2013, 03:28:48 pm »
Just posted an updated version on the site.

http://chords.btanase.ro/download

This version fixes:
- keyboard issues reported by thomasa88 in the previous posts
- on MacOS the app shouldn't crash anymore (tested on Snow Leopard)
- improved compatibility with Linux based OS. Requires Java 1.7.x though (tested with OpenJDK 1.7.0_15 and Oracle JDK 1.7.0_17)

Known issues:
- On my version of Linux (Mint XFCE) when using "Clue Mode" weird things happen, like windows no longer being clickable. Got no idea why; if there's enough demand I'll look for a workaround.

Cheers!

PS: Anyone know that Java tagline: "Write Once, Debug Everywhere"? :D

Sorry about the geek-ish post.

Offline thomasa88

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2013, 08:39:50 pm »
Works a treat!  :D

Everything seems to work normally when I used the Clue Mode window for Stage 1 SSR. Gentoo Linux, 64-bit, IcedTea "1.7.0_147-icedtea". 64-bit installer worked :)

Never heard that tagline before, but it gave me a good laugh!

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2013, 08:55:16 pm »
I've tested this at home with Mate Desktop Environment. Guess what? Works fine!

My bet is on the window manager and its "understanding" of modal vs non modal windows in XFCE (xfwm4).

Good to know it works for others too.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline thomasa88

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2013, 09:07:01 pm »
Hmm, forgot to mention that I use KDE 4.

Seems the CPR window has the same problem event listener problem as SSR had when finishing a lesson. (yeah, I haven't got very far..  :-[)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App