Author Topic: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training  (Read 16302 times)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 144
    • Point Fifty
Re: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 06:49:34 pm »
No logs were created; thought it might be a read/write problem...it was
Had to give regular users full permission so they can a write log file.
These log files should be in the User dirs and not in de the program dir
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »
You are right LievenDV. It is a permission issue. This also applies to CT_Eagle.

I'll redesign the way the config files & logs are written in a future version.

Current workarounds:

- set write permissions for the install folder for current user

or

- install the application in your user directory

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 08:12:08 pm »

you mean the dirs on the system partition? ??? i hate when the essential files are installed there, because after reinstalling system and formatting its partition i have to install all the xx--xx again even if i had programmes installed on other partition... i don't know how much it matters here but just wanted to point it out ;)

the randomizing function works better now 8)
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 144
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 09:40:37 pm »

you mean the dirs on the system partition? ??? i hate when the essential files are installed there, because after reinstalling system and formatting its partition i have to install all the xx--xx again even if i had programmes installed on other partition... i don't know how much it matters here but just wanted to point it out ;)

No Loco
Windows and Linux (and other OS'es) have folder that should be only be accessible by the User that is logged in and Administrators.
It's a kind of "profile" saved on a computer which can, for example, keep your savegames, program settings, your desktop wallpaper etc...
Like this you can install a program 1 time on a pc but it can have different settings for every user; the settings become active when a user is logged in.
in Windows this is achieved by relative system paths like %USER% and %WORKSTATION% and what not...
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline MartinL

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 03:47:09 pm »
Hi bftanase,

I found your program today and really enjoyed it so far. If you were able to add some "on the fly" chord progressions, this would be absolutely great. I tested it on my Mac.

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 06:07:22 pm »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the feedback! So it works on Mac too. Yay!

It is my intention to create these types of exercises for a future release.

mattywarr

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 10:28:12 am »
Can I make a suggestion? I havent tried the app (I'll give it a go tonight) but this is with regard to deployment.

Try using Java Web Start

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/webstart/

By signing your JAR file and deploying with Java Web Start you have a whole load of benefits which might overcome a few issues I've seen in this thread.

- Can be launched on any platform, with any browser (If you don't have java installed, it will prompt to download it)
 - Centralised version control - no need for users to update, just deploy the new version to the web server
 - Signing the JAR in the package will mean you can grant unrestricted disk access to the host OS instead of just running in the Java sandbox - meaning you can write logs and store settings locally.

Which means your app is a whole lot more accessible to novice PC users who may not understand setting permissions and what not.

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 11:27:44 am »
Hi and thanks for your suggestion.

I've had some really bad past experiences with JWS so I'm avoiding it as much as I can.

I can tell you about it privately if you're interested (a guitar forum is not the best place to discuss java stuff :) ).

On the other hand, the next version will (hopefully) solve all the reported issues and it might even have an (optional) auto-update feature...

mattywarr

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »
Were in the process of deploying a business grade Java app (For something totally unrelated to guitar!) and using Java Web Start without too many issues, once the initial config is nailed.

Didn't get a chance to try it yetso will try to find time tonight!

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 02:19:53 pm »
My answer from this link pretty much sums up my opinion about JWS.

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
New version launched
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:34 am »
Hi everyone,

I Just wanted you to know that I've released a new version with some good changes I hope.

What's new in 0.3.2

• A new high quality sample set covering all open chords discussed in Justin's Beginner Course, courtesy of LBro from these forums. Thanks LB!
  • A new set of lessons with various difficulty. This will get you started, but don't forget you can create your own ;)
  • Reorganized user interface. It should get you up and running more quickly now :)
  • Better management of user data. The permission issues some ppl experienced should be solved since no writing will be done in the installation folder. And you'll also have the option to change between folder profiles.

Download Here!

I hope you dig it.

For the next release I plan to implement Chord Progression Exercises, so stay tuned!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:20:39 am by bftanase »

Offline CT_Eagle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:49 pm »
Thanks for the update. I will start using it immediately and offer some feedback. Your effort in providing this software to everyone is greatly appreciated.

Thanks also to LB for providing the chords.
Guitar - Ibanez GAX70
Amp - Marshall Vintage Modern
Pedals - Maxon OD9, Ibanez AD9, Boss AC2, Boss TU3

Gassing for - Gibson SG Standard

Offline MartinL

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 06:48:42 pm »
I tested the latest version on my MacBook and it works great. The recorded chords are nice.

Some things you could consider for a future release:

- Don't allow the user to change the size of the window by clicking the right corner. It's a bit strange when you do this ;)
- Sometimes the play button works a bit strange. Especially when you click it several times. Sometimes it just plays the chord partially or it doesn't play at all. I think that one button (like a "replay" button for example) would be enough. Everytime you click it, it simply should play the chord.

I really look forward to the implementation of the CPR exercises.

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:52 pm »
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the feedback!

About the play button; The play actually executes a Stop & Play. So it's basically a "Restart".

I can't reproduce what you're experiencing on Win 7 or Win XP. Unfortunately I don't have any Mac's, nor does anyone I know so it's hard to debug stuff like this. In Romania Mac's are really rare :)

If you're willing to do some beta testing for the future version I'll try some alternative ways of playing sounds, maybe it will work better on Mac...

Future versions

I'm thinking of introducing some basic "dynamics" for the chord playback. I was thinking I could implement this by randomly altering the volume of the sample each time you hit play button.

For example I could put a small volume gain, randomly between 0 -> 20 % each time a chord is played.

What do you ppl think?

Offline MartinL

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 08:28:26 pm »
You are right. I tested your program on Windows 7 and Linux and the playback is fine. Seems to be a Java/Mac issue. I can help you with beta testing.

This "dynamics" idea seems to be interesting. Would be also interesting if there were different chord recordings from different guitars (electric, acoustic, classical) during a session. Moreover, it is a bit annoying when the same chord is played for 3 or 4 times in a row.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App