Author Topic: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training  (Read 16311 times)

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: I made an app to help with JUSTIN training
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting ideas you guys have.

@LBro as you said, those suggestions could be some features for the future. First I'd like to make a useful tool for beginners. Then we'll see :).

@Loco:

1) First lesson was intended to be very easy. Probably I should have added another harder version.

I don't know if you guys noticed but in a lesson you can add the same chord multiple times. For example you could add for the first lesson the chords A, D and E, 6 times thus having 18 questions in the lesson.

2 & 3: Sensible suggestions. I'll see what time I have available and I'll implement the changes for the next version.

About samples from the internet:
I think it would be best if all the samples were from the same source (same tone/volume etc). Otherwise you'll learn that particular sample instead of the chord sound. I need to find a collection in the same "tone". If you guys find a good collection, link to it. My search foo is not that good.

@Justin, if somehow you're reading this:

I didn't thought much before releasing but if you think any of this stuff it's infringing on copyrights or affecting your activity let me know and I'll change/remove whatever it's inappropriate. I want to do something for the community, not against it ;)

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 05:09:12 pm »
in regard to the samples, what about using midi sounds? in every tabulature software there is option to play midi version of the composition, of course it doesn't sound as good as real guitar but the pitch is correct and you can make a clear sample of every possible chord or note
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »
I don't know if you guys noticed but in a lesson you can add the same chord multiple times. For example you could add for the first lesson the chords A, D and E, 6 times thus having 18 questions in the lesson.

Indeed, spotted this as well - great feature. Also true on the future...

You have a great start so far and I will see about matching up the lessons and how many chords that would be. Your probably right on matching up tone and all. I have what I call a decent guitar. Not what Justin has as that is a top end guitar in my thinking. If one is to make more samples, then to keep in line what you want to do, (same tone/sound) we would have to redo the chords you already have. Then add more as you go. Well if I were to take on that project I realize it would be a commitment to produce all the chords from the beginners course just for conformity.... So this is something to ponder for a bit.

@ Loco - I think midi would be too electronic possibly. Better to leave as is or resample and add more to improve it. Just my HO there for what it is worth.

LB

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 05:20:44 pm »

but it still doesn't prevent me from using my memory to help with guessing :) i mean, it's kinda like putting something to a bag and then taking it out - i know what i put there so the less things left there, the more expectable they are

i would prefer to choose just the range of chords instead of how many of them will be played, i think it should be randomized

and it concerns the A, Am lesson too, the proportion of both chords doesn't have to be always 50:50, it might be 20:80 or even 100:0

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 05:38:23 pm »
@ Loco - I hear what your saying... I was able to quickly deduce what the cords were in the test just by comparison. Doing it in a fast song, or even one slowed down is a whole new ballgame. Then for me I have to pick up a guitar and try to hit the cord root notes....
I think at this point you need to think of the app as an extension of Justin's lesson and in that light it is a good little tool.
LB

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 144
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 06:12:06 pm »
ah lol I ran the wrong program :)

it's cool but crashes at the end of some exercises
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:57:58 am by LievenDV »
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »
Okay guys, you convinced me! :D

Next version will have an improved randomization algorithm ;)

@LievenDV, as I said before: send me or attach here application.log & sysinfo.log immediately after crashing and I'll start debugging.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 06:52:04 pm »
LievenDV - Dude, what you smokin over there?  I got a good chuckle over that one. I can see though when you have a computer full of music apps where one could fire up the wrong one. No big but you got a big L out of this end.

@ bftanase - I took a look at the Beginners Course and I think making the samples would not be a huge deal. I will pm you in private email on it and we can go from there. I just have to see how easy it is to parse them out. I have another idea for some one off progressions that might be easy for you to add...

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 07:00:20 pm »
That's great news LB!

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 07:01:49 pm »
i'm looking forward to the updated version, i think i will be using this software a lot since it's exactly what i was missing from those JUSTIN exercises 8)

i might record some custom samples later too

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:08 am »
Hey guys and gals,

I was working on the new version. I've got a question for you:

What do you think would be the optimal number of questions in a lesson? (It will be adjustable for each lesson, but I want to put a sensible default for those that don't want to mess around with advanced settings).

I was thinking 20; too many, too few?

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 08:37:32 am »
it might also depend on how many different chords are in particular lesson, e.g. when you have just two chords A and Am, you don't need 20 questions, whereas if there are more chords then i think 20 questions would be more suitable

but i don't really know, i'm going to change it myself anyway, so maybe just wait and later you will get feedback from people about what amount they set, because now it's just guessing

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 02:18:54 pm »
Okay, I've put out a new version with a better randomizer, I hope :)

Select the lesson, click Edit. In the "Lesson Options" you can change the number of questions for the selected lesson.

LBro is helping me with a collection of high quality chord samples so expect soon a new release with better samples and more quizzes/lessons.

Offline CT_Eagle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 02:38:12 pm »
First I want to say thank you for uploading this tool. Nicely and done and very generous of you.

I downloaded and installed the program and everything works great except for one thing. The program is not recording my results. For example, when I run the first exercise I go through all ten chords. After I finish the tenth chord the program closes by itself. When I reopen the program the results are not listed.

Any thoughts?
Guitar - Ibanez GAX70
Amp - Marshall Vintage Modern
Pedals - Maxon OD9, Ibanez AD9, Boss AC2, Boss TU3

Gassing for - Gibson SG Standard

Offline bftanase

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 02:48:04 pm »
If it crashes it should show a Message dialog about an error or smth.

To debug this I need:
- application.log
- systeminfo.log (optional but useful)

You should find these files in installation folder (usually program files/guitarchordeartraining ).

If you email those to me I'll look into it.

Or at least a screenshot with the error message ;)

Thanks!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App